IGNORED

Scott and Benarous

Globe Trotter

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I think we need to build around them. Hopefully the “player trading” philosophy that SL and MA were so fond of, has been tweaked somewhat so we are actually able to progress. It just needs better application and more forethought

Agreed. Appreciate most of the time the decision is in the player (and agents) hands but hopefully we can keep hold of then both for years to come.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, samo II said:

I’m up for us blooding as many youngsters as possible.

So many of the senior pros have been so disappointing, they couldn’t be worse.

Delighted to see some of them showing up and showing out - more please.

It's about balance. Put too many in and all of a sudden you are very lightweight in a bloody tough league. Couldn't agree more on the Senior pro's, there are still one or two shithouses in the building that need moving on, we just need to be careful that we don't "overdo" it with youngsters.

That said, these young 'uns give us something to get behind.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Anyone else think the club has uncovered the next 2 assets that can be sold for big money to reinvest in the team?

Hope they both stay for a long time and we can build around them. Also what a boost it must be to the other youngsters.

Probably but they both are young enough to get 2-3 years of championship experience to develop. So as others have said, need to build around that over the next few windows. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Probably but they both are young enough to get 2-3 years of championship experience to develop. So as others have said, need to build around that over the next few windows. 

The key is to develop the club quickly enough to match their ambitions.  It cost us Kelly, Brownhill, Reid, Bryan to a large extent.  Of course, when PL come calling it’s virtually impossible to turn it down.  But I think had we got play offs in one of those seasons we maybe keep one of them?

2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Not sure been mentioned, but listening to Gary Owers on way to game, and general comments here, where is Scott’s best position.  
while he was rather decent last night at WB where do we see his best position in the   longer term .  

Central midfield somewhere.  He could play alongside Williams at some point, no probs at all.

51 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Scott good going forward, needs to work on his defending. Benarous great attitude, got a nasty streak which i like. Will get a lot of yellows and a few reds over the next year or so. With Han and Rob the future looks bright,

I thought his (Scott) defending was bloody excellent last night.  He’s sharp, can get tight and uses body pretty well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The key is to develop the club quickly enough to match their ambitions.  It cost us Kelly, Brownhill, Reid, Bryan to a large extent.  Of course, when PL come calling it’s virtually impossible to turn it down.  But I think had we got play offs in one of those seasons we maybe keep one of them?

Central midfield somewhere.  He could play alongside Williams at some point, no probs at all.

I thought his (Scott) defending was bloody excellent last night.  He’s sharp, can get tight and uses body pretty well.

Bottom paragraph of this post… 100%!

Only one moment where the Stoke player kicked it through his legs to whip a ball, Fletcher hits the bar. But I thought he was excellent defensively overall.

I was pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Entirely agree his body positioning against Tymon was spot on (standing him up and making him look sideways or back (apart from the one time he was nutmegged).  I would prefer him in centre mid but has done an excellent job as a WB.

12 hours ago, Globe Trotter said:

Fantastic performance both. I genuinely think their courage and fearlessness in the midst of the battering we were getting at the start helped them more senior players grow in confidence.

100% effort and plenty of skill , Top job! 

It comes to something, when we are relying on two 18 year olds to save our season?  They are 2 fantastic young men, who I hope are not flogged to death, but nutured and protected, until they are both superstars?

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep......as I am sure you know, Scott plays central midfield for England U-19's.  Where he runs things from the middle and organises the free kicks.  That is hopefully where he will end up, once we have a settled quality left sided wing back ?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Bottom paragraph of this post… 100%!

Only one moment where the Stoke player kicked it through his legs to whip a ball, Fletcher hits the bar. But I thought he was excellent defensively overall.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Yep, bound to get the odd occasion where you get done by a bit of skill.

46 minutes ago, Nuno Gomes said:

Entirely agree his body positioning against Tymon was spot on (standing him up and making him look sideways or back (apart from the one time he was nutmegged).  I would prefer him in centre mid but has done an excellent job as a WB.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

I thought I’d clip some screenshots of where it is easy to suggest Scott out of position.

82300CE2-081D-4FAE-8599-391C16038D10.thumb.jpeg.41576033a58c1bce2071010d54919ca5.jpeg

There’d been a sequence of ping-pong before Tymon got the ball under pressure on the h-w line from Scott.  He laid it off to Vrancic, and ideally Scott would’ve stayed with Tymon.  But that would’ve left acres for Vrancic to stroll into, so Scott tries to do a bit of both, whilst looking to Vyner to “maybe” track Tymon for him.  Vyner isn’t marking anyone….

49B6BF6B-AF1B-4768-BEE9-92DE19B23B08.thumb.jpeg.814f4b6dc82a26af9b180bf23bea2178.jpeg
….neither is Kalas, but he’s the spare man, so fair enough.  Baker marking (to an extent) Fletcher.

Vyner needs to help Scott out here.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Benarous has that great quality that is lacking in so many of our players: he's hard to get the ball off of.

Yep good upper body strength for his age and good balance. He was one of the main reasons we saw the game out. He won quite a few free kicks late on to run the clock down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Benarous has that great quality that is lacking in so many of our players: he's hard to get the ball off of.

Also seems to have a bit of attitude about him. When that Stoke player went right through him near the end and couldn't care less that he picked up a yellow you just know that was for a reason!! He's small, carries the ball in tight spaces and has that ability to shield it so you almost have to foul him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Yep good upper body strength for his age and good balance. He was one of the main reasons we saw the game out. He won quite a few free kicks late on to run the clock down. 

Yep, easiest way to manage the game is to have the ball at your feet, not whack it back to their Centre Halves to come at us again. That was a massive improvement on Saturday's second half and why we looked far more comfortable with the 1-0 lead.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Also seems to have a bit of attitude about him. When that Stoke player went right through him near the end and couldn't care less that he picked up a yellow you just know that was for a reason!! He's small, carries the ball in tight spaces and has that ability to shield it so you almost have to foul him.

Agreed. Basically, he's a pleasure to watch. 

Providing he keeps focussed, this lad is going to be some player as he gains experience. Actually, scrub that, he's some player now, he could develop to be one hell of a player!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I can’t believe how quickly 1) his game has developed from watching his u23s last season and this season and 2) in two and bit senior appearances in a few weeks.

Its only relatively recently he’s been training with the first team group on a daily basis, so he must be a quick learner, but also able to put that into practice.

I had reservations about how ready he was when Nige was saying things like “Ayman is ready, if he gets his chance, he will take some shifting”.  Thought it was pretty bullish, and he will undoubtedly have the usual plateau that happens with all young players, but it’s a mighty impressive start.

The big thing both Ayman and Alex have in their favour is being able to use both feet, when passing and controlling the ball, but also being to go off either foot.  Those of you that have coached kids (I haven’t) know the importance of developing this.  Opposition players will soon cotton on to which way a player dribbles….and set them up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Not sure been mentioned, but listening to Gary Owers on way to game, and general comments here, where is Scott’s best position.  
while he was rather decent last night at WB where do we see his best position in the   longer term .  

An interesting question.  I would think Pearson will be looking at both of them as potential No 10s.  We’ve  seen lots of tenacity from both of them, but neither has yet had the chance to show us the full range of their skills going forward.  On the evidence of the U23s AB looks more of a goal scorer than AS.  I also think AB is a better tackler and could play deep midfield.  It goes without saying that both have big futures in front of them.  Let’s hope that’s with Bristol City and the two of them can be persuaded to stay for the long term.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think impossible to turn down. Obviously we have gotten really good deals for those you mentioned and if we get similar for our younger now then fair enough.

I do think younger players are a bit smarter or managed better now though. You see a lot more young english players going abroad to get minutes. Even Massengo to us to get more minutes. I think minutes are much more valuable than money early in the career now. Players are getting good minutes in the championship now up to about 21 and then they are making premier league moves. 

Anyway was bit of a ramble. We do need to build a successful side to keep them but that goes for all our best players. That is how I am basing it when I say we can keep them for 2-3 years. That we go from what we are this season to hopefully top half/playoff push to promotion contenders(playoffs). I am just saying championship is more than good enough to develop in into your early 20s. 

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

That is how I am basing it when I say we can keep them for 2-3 years. That we go from what we are this season to hopefully top half/playoff push to promotion contenders(playoffs). I am just saying championship is more than good enough to develop in into your early 20s. 

Totally agree…the point I’m making is that if in 3 seasons time they are playing great, attracting tonnes of interest, and we are on an annual relegation fight (not that I think we will be) then it’s an easy decision to move.  That is why I think we have to grow with them.  As you say no immediate rush, they aren’t gonna be off in the summer (imho).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m delighted that the youngsters seem to be working  out so well. Benarous and Scot both played a significant part in last nights win. 
There are the likes of Semenyo, Pring and Conway all waiting in the production line - when they’re all fit of course,

Its been SLs long ambition to have a squad capable of reaching the PL made up with a mixture of experience and youth and it’s starting to look that Nige is on the right path to achieve that.

15 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Going back a bit further and Scott and Benarous are reminding me of the way that Gow and Tainton were such a big influence in the 1970's.

They'll make mistakes but they will get more right than wrong.

And a big thanks to all the others this evening with a special mention for Chris Martin who worked so hard and was still pressing til the end.

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thought he got better in the last 20+9 minutes.

Matty James isn’t getting back on them is he?

I'm pretty sure Martin, who had a good game, could barely walk in injury time! 

He was closing down in spirit more than body at the end.

30 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Can you remember what happened after that? Was it the Baker header clear or did they miss a chance?

HNM jumps under the ball, it bounced off the striker back to Bents.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Totally agree…the point I’m making is that if in 3 seasons time they are playing great, attracting tonnes of interest, and we are on an annual relegation fight (not that I think we will be) then it’s an easy decision to move.  That is why I think we have to grow with them.  As you say no immediate rush, they aren’t gonna be off in the summer (imho).

I said on a chat about us selling players that we have to get a group together at the right time. If we can keep and improve this group, add a couple, then maybe ......

Masengo, Atkinso, Tanner, Scott, Benarous, Semenyo, Bakinson, Pring, Williams, OLeary, Cundy, Conway. That's a decent list of young talented players. If we could keep these for maybe 18 months 2 years, add some quality experience, then who knows. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1