IGNORED

Finally - A "lucky" result

LondonBristolian

This really isn't a criticism of the players tonight. That was a very sold, structured performance where we worked really hard, showed discipline and took our chance when we needed to. The team deserve a lot of credit.

BUT the other major difference tonight is it is that - after a season of games where it has felt like our mistakes have almost always been punished with goals - we've had a game where things have fallen our way. Yes, Stoke missed chances, but it really felt like the ball was bouncing in our favour tonight. It was a really nice change. 

Really hope we can stay lucky for the coming weeks...

• Like 4
  • Robin 3

Just now, Sturny said:

I sorta agree with what you say, but I'm a strong believer in making your own luck! So in my books the boys get every bit of credit. 

Absolutely - I'm really not trying to take anything away from the players at all and I think a major difference tonight is the players didn't look like they were waiting for it all to go wrong - which is certainly how it felt against Luton, for example. But today really felt like our day from about the middle of the second half onwards and you could sort of tell our players believed they were getting the result and Stoke didn't believe they were going to score...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wasn’t many chances in the game really.  Stoke got into good positions but didn’t get shots off when they should.  Fletcher header hit post, Chester header far post glanced wide. Campbell slash into side netting.

Infogol give Stoke 3 shots of approx 0.4xG. Reasonable to expect at least 1 goal for them really.

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

Wasn’t many chances in the game really.  Stoke got into good positions but didn’t get shots off when they should.  Fletcher header hit post, Chester header far post glanced wide. Campbell slash into side netting.

We all to some extent tend to put a lot on the result (you are in fairness one of the exceptions). If Stoke had finished a late chance no doubt the posts would have been full of ‘bottlers’. Luton or Forest etc etc flash late chances wide and we would have been talking about character and battling.

Objectively we are still very much work in progress, but the last two games we have looked better. No one is saying great. Played three PO contenders in a row now and have finished 4-4 with four points. In the round that’s been about right.

Difficult not to have started looking down the table, tonight’s result takes a fair bit of immediate pressure off. Buys time, which one feels more than anything is what we need.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Well, the Stoke manager thought it was a lucky result;

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-bristol-city-penalty-red-6257036

Three penalties ?

Embarrassing.

Doesn’t mention the clear handball in the box by their bloke, does he?

Ref was shite, but for both teams.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lenred said:

Don’t think it was lucky at all tonight.  We played well. Could’ve gone the other way possibly but it was a 50/50. Let’s give ourselves a break when we get it. Doesn’t happen very often! 

I agree with all that. It just feels novel for a 50/50 to fall our way. I think we deserved a win but, on another day, Fletcher and Campbell could have scored, Scott could have been sent off and the penalty shout could have gone against us. We’ve had Blackpool, Swansea, Luton and Forest that felt like those kinds of games and it is great not to be cursing our luck for a change…

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Oliver Langford, moved out of my bottom three Champ referees last season…close to going back in tonight.  Just gets too many decisions wrong.

I thought it was a penalty for that handball - it would have been unlucky but his hand completely changed the direction the ball was going from in to the box to out for a corner 

• Like 1

I think some red tinted glasses on show here ?

They had better and more chances, we did ride our luck. Specially with the 2 headers against the woodwork.  HNM could easily have given away a Pen and we could have been down to ten men ourselves.
That said it was a decent performance. Struggled for 15/20 minutes, but as soon as we settled we really came back at them. We are still not connecting with, or choosing the right passes though. We looked like we reverted to type 2nd half, sat back too much. They are a decent side, I liked their movement around the box. But I thought the 2 young lads did brilliantly helping to see the game out, happy to hold the ball and buy fouls  . I thought COD was good, I thought Vyner did well for the most part and I'm looking forward to HNM & Williams playing together.

As for the Ref. I thought he was shocking first half, following ignoring the handball for the possible Pen, the lad all but caught the ball and he managed to miss that too. Seemed unable to see anything but a Stoke free kick for a while. Improved slightly 2nd half possibly 

11 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

This really isn't a criticism of the players tonight. That was a very sold, structured performance where we worked really hard, showed discipline and took our chance when we needed to. The team deserve a lot of credit.

BUT the other major difference tonight is it is that - after a season of games where it has felt like our mistakes have almost always been punished with goals - we've had a game where things have fallen our way. Yes, Stoke missed chances, but it really felt like the ball was bouncing in our favour tonight. It was a really nice change. 

I think our biggest stroke of luck last night was the penalty NOT given for the Massengo 'incident'. IMHO it was a much stronger call than our own handball shout earlier. 

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
add wording
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Really..? 

How many times have the opposition hit the woodwork against us this season..? 

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I think our biggest stroke of luck last night was the penalty NOT given for the Massengo 'incident'. IMHO it was a much stronger call than our own handball shout earlier. 

Was that from the corner against Østigård?  If so, look at the shirt pulling by Østigård on him.  Not 50/50 admittedly, but both at it.

I honestly (ok I’m biased) didn’t think the others were pens either, nor did I think ours was either.

2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I always shout for handball - well why not? Influences some refs - but tonight I thought that was a genuine one.

Raised his hand as the ball approached and deflected away a ball heading towards his 6-yard box. That arm was not "in a natural position".

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I always shout for handball - well why not? Influences some refs - but tonight I thought that was a genuine one.

Raised his hand as the ball approached and deflected away a ball heading towards his 6-yard box. That arm was not "in a natural position".

Technically both incidents should have resulted in penalties. 
The reason I felt that the handball incident was a weaker call than the Massengo incident was that the handball was clearly accidental. It hit his hand and put the ball out of play, but it was unintentional. 
Massengo’s foul however was 100% intentional - he had no intention of playing the ball - it was a deliberate foul in the box. 

Like I said, technically they should BOTH have been penalties because even accidental handballs are penalised now, but I felt it was a lesser offence because the intention was not there. 

• Like 1