IGNORED

COD

cityexile

9 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

In contrast, to see how not to play this position - an attacking player asked to play an unfamilair wide role - see Alex Scott who was constantly caught out of position/unaware.

And for the avoidance of doubt, I like Alex Scott very much. Just not as a defensively clueless wing back. 

Thought he played the position incredibly well.  I didn’t see him caught out of position, certainly not constantly.  In what way did you see him out of position / unaware.  If there’s one thing I’ve seen from Scott this season, it’s that he has a bloody fantastic football brain for an 18 year old old.  I can’t think of many players of his type (an attack minded CM) who could go and play RWB and not be phased by it….least of all at 18.  I thought he got the better of a very talented and highly rated Tymon (22) last night.

All about opinions though.

He was my MOTM last night.

• Like 12
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought he played the position incredibly well.  I didn’t see him caught out of position, certainly not constantly.  In what way did you see him out of position / unaware.  If there’s one thing I’ve seen from Scott this season, it’s that he has a bloody fantastic football brain for an 18 year old old.  I can’t think of many players of his type (an attack minded CM) who could go and play RWB and not be phased by it….least of all at 18.  I thought he got the better of a very talented and highly rated Tymon (22) last night.

Tymon got in behind him far too easily on numerous occasions, whereas no-one got in behind O'Dowda at all.

Stoke's main threat was down Scott's side time after time, from minute 1 to minute 98 and several times they should have produced more after getting into dangerous positions. Fortunately, our scramble defence held together.

Not a criticism of Scott though - as I say, I like him and he stuck manfully to the task. Excellent attitude. I just don't think wing back suits him very well at all - too much ground for him to cover, up and down, up and down. Not sure he's built for that, whereas O'Dowda is. One's built for short bursts of inter-play and close control, the other's built for stretching his legs out, carrying the ball at a gallop over longer distances.  

Can you imagine Jack Grealish playing wing back? 

O'Dowda MOM for me - defensively sound, didn't give the ball away, posed an attacking threat.  

But, yes, it's all about opinions!

• Like 3

I remember about 4 years back, he was really hitting his straps...October-November 2017 he got an assist or goal and was generally pretty sharp each week through October-November.

Then he got injured. 2018/19 4 goals and 4 assists is steady.

However LWB his new position? Seems to suit him quite well albeit only 2 games in- he also won a penalty and should've perhaps won a 2nd at Coventry too. Let's hope he keeps it up and indeed builds on it.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I agree the only thing that let's Scott down is his size, and possibly a bit to ambitious at times but not sure I'd want him to lose that. 

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Completely agree

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Tymon got in behind him far too easily on numerous occasions, whereas no-one got in behind O'Dowda at all.

Stoke's main threat was down Scott's side time after time, from minute 1 to minute 98 and several times they should have produced more after getting into dangerous positions. Fortunately, our scramble defence held together.

Not a criticism of Scott though - as I say, I like him and he stuck manfully to the task. Excellent attitude. I just don't think wing back suits him very well at all - too much ground for him to cover, up and down, up and down. Not sure he's built for that, whereas O'Dowda is. One's built for short bursts of inter-play and close control, the other's built for stretching his legs out, carrying the ball at a gallop over longer distances.  

Can you imagine Jack Grealish playing wing back? 

O'Dowda MOM for me - defensively sound, didn't give the ball away, posed an attacking threat.  

But, yes, it's all about opinions!

Essentially it all comes down to how you choose a motm.

Players tend to go for the best player on the pitch simple but watching it becomes a more involved choice.

Picking Scott is taking account of the wider  scenario.  Picking Bakinson is typical Sky (he did play well and scored but I couldn't see a criteria under which you'd pick him). COD played how I expect a player with his profile to play. He was good but didn't do anything out the ordinary. Think we get excited when he plays well as it's a rarity.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Essentially it all comes down to how you choose a motm.

Players tend to go for the best player on the pitch simple but watching it becomes a more involved choice.

Picking Scott is taking account of the wider  scenario.  Picking Bakinson is typical Sky (he did play well and scored but I couldn't see a criteria under which you'd pick him). COD played how I expect a player with his profile to play. He was good but didn't do anything out the ordinary. Think we get excited when he plays well as it's a rarity.

I think that’s harsh, second half he absolutely murdered his opponent twice & got in brilliant crosses, one Martin couldn’t get quite near enough to, the second we didn’t have enough players forward to take advantage of.

He is a frustrating player, you watch some & think they don’t have it, he on the other hand can be either excellent or anonymous. I remember a couple of storming displays v Norwich but sadly too many forgettable ones as well.

In midweek (he was good v Blackburn too) he drove us forward, gave us an out ball & pushed his counterpart back positionally, to me that is far more than “nothing out of the ordinary”.

Like Bakinson the question now is how often can he reach levels nearer to his last 2 performances.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

In midweek (he was good v Blackburn too) he drove us forward, gave us an out ball & pushed his counterpart back positionally, to me that is far more than “nothing out of the ordinary

I wonder how much Nige has helped and encouraged him to be more ‘aggressive’ and direct? No doubt seeing a wide player tear the opposition full back a new arsehole definitely gets the crowd excited. Think of Smudger Smith and Scot Murray, both thrilling to watch.

No doubt CoD has the ability to do the same.

On 25/11/2021 at 07:54, And Its Smith said:

You expect COD to put in MOTM performances every week? Harsh levels.  

Hopefully your post was tongue in cheek regarding the man and mouse stuff. 

Most fans don’t see it with COD but like I will always say, every club manager has always picked him. Pearson is the latest.  The abuse he has had is insane. Maybe if he hadn’t delayed his contract then fans would see it differently.  

I also think it depends if he puts a shift in. NP seems to have tapped into something and he seems to be improving.  It looks like he's becoming more confident and improving his pass rate. Some of his cross to Martin against Stoke where excellent.  However, he's definitely got bridges to build and not bottle it on tackles, but I'll take an improving COD over what he was before. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think that’s harsh, second half he absolutely murdered his opponent twice & got in brilliant crosses, one Martin couldn’t get quite near enough to, the second we didn’t have enough players forward to take advantage of.

He is a frustrating player, you watch some & think they don’t have it, he on the other hand can be either excellent or anonymous. I remember a couple of storming displays v Norwich but sadly too many forgettable ones as well.

In midweek (he was good v Blackburn too) he drove us forward, gave us an out ball & pushed his counterpart back positionally, to me that is far more than “nothing out of the ordinary”.

Like Bakinson the question now is how often can he reach levels nearer to his last 2 performances.

Callum in the past has had most of his better games against the “footballing sides”, the ones that give him a bit of time on the ball.  Against the horrible teams like Preston and Millwall, he’s often gone into his shell.

Not sure if you’ve listened to FBC (I doubt you have ?) but Ian was suggesting us playing a 3421, with Callum as one of the two.  In fairness he suggested that the two were wider players than two no10’s, but I think the last thing you want is Callum have to receive passes either back to goal or up tight against a full-back, which if he plays as a left forward he will have to do a lot.

I think why we are seeing improved form (two matches and Cov) is because of the space he is getting coming from a bit deeper.  Actually got a bit of time to get his head up (my constant criticism of him in the past), and decide what to do.  Goal v Norwich was a run from deep.

It will be a big bonus if we can get this level at some kind of consistency.  It probably saves us a lot of money.  He’s at a great age to kick on too.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Callum in the past has had most of his better games against the “footballing sides”, the ones that give him a bit of time on the ball.  Against the horrible teams like Preston and Millwall, he’s often gone into his shell.

Not sure if you’ve listened to FBC (I doubt you have ?) but Ian was suggesting us playing a 3421, with Callum as one of the two.  In fairness he suggested that the two were wider players than two no10’s, but I think the last thing you want is Callum have to receive passes either back to goal or up tight against a full-back, which if he plays as a left forward he will have to do a lot.

I think why we are seeing improved form (two matches and Cov) is because of the space he is getting coming from a bit deeper.  Actually got a bit of time to get his head up (my constant criticism of him in the past), and decide what to do.  Goal v Norwich was a run from deep.

It will be a big bonus if we can get this level at some kind of consistency.  It probably saves us a lot of money.  He’s at a great age to kick on too.

Good points, especially the one about him playing well previously against footballing sides.

It was also very noticeable to me that he blatantly clotheslined a Stoke player off the ball when they were breaking on us & also put in a very heavy tackle almost from the kick off that should have seen him booked.

I take from this he is certainly being “encouraged” by Pearson & Fleming to be far more physical than he was in the past…

• Like 1

On 24/11/2021 at 22:22, cityexile said:

Has not had a lot of love from us over the years, often with reason, so worth a shout out I thought for his efforts the last two games.

Not his natural position, but cannot fault his attitude and commitment these last two matches. Has played a full part in both results and does not look out of place at all in that role. Must know he has not performed as he has wanted over the past few seasons, but has shown some real character recently.

Long may it continue.

I think that wing back is his natural position.

I absolutely don't think wing back is O'Dowda's natural position. 

The way it could be made to work is a la Conte's Chelsea, if Baker and Vyner are very disciplined in their lateral movement to fill in as full backs when O'Dowda and Scott are engaged in the midfield play. That also requires that one midfielder drops deep, which I believe was Williams' job in these two games.

So, I think it's something we can adapt to with hard work.

But if you told O'Dowda he could play wing with less defensive responsibility I bet he'd bite your hand off.

When it comes to game where he really has to defend as part of a back 5 he could easily get found out.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mozo said:

I absolutely don't think wing back is O'Dowda's natural position. 

The way it could be made to work is a la Conte's Chelsea, if Baker and Vyner are very disciplined in their lateral movement to fill in as full backs when O'Dowda and Scott are engaged in the midfield play. That also requires that one midfielder drops deep, which I believe was Williams' job in these two games.

So, I think it's something we can adapt to with hard work.

But if you told O'Dowda he could play wing with less defensive responsibility I bet he'd bite your hand off.

When it comes to game where he really has to defend as part of a back 5 he could easily get found out.

Was gonna say exactly the same.  What Nige may have found out is that LWB is the “best-suited” position for him.  But he’s not a natural defender, although he’s showing he can learn aspects of that to benefit his personal contribution and help the team too.

• Like 1

Always been a fan of Callum.  Just looks a footballer to me and always carries a threat.  He has had some loss of form notably when coming back from injury, but I think it's more about how managers have chosen to play him or the instructions given that has hamstrung him (excuse the pun).   When he keeps it simple and attacks the full back and crosses from the byline he is still our most potent threat.   Just a shame that when it's on the break we have no one quick enough to be in the box to get on the end of it. 

@JonDolman suggested a while ago O’dowda could play wingback. 
Ive never felt he was capable. I’ve always criticised him for his lack of awareness & not being tough enough as he’s certainly big enough to use his body more.
I didn’t see the Blackburn game as I was away but thought he played well Wednesday . I really hope I’m wrong about him as no one wants our players to fail. Let’s hope he kicks on now.  

47 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Always been a fan of Callum.  Just looks a footballer to me and always carries a threat.  He has had some loss of form notably when coming back from injury, but I think it's more about how managers have chosen to play him or the instructions given that has hamstrung him (excuse the pun).   When he keeps it simple and attacks the full back and crosses from the byline he is still our most potent threat.   Just a shame that when it's on the break we have no one quick enough to be in the box to get on the end of it. 

Long may his current form (had a good first 45 v Cov being the start of it) continue…and it actually become the “norm”.

Would save us a lot of money, plus is one of the few players we have in the mid-age range.

I don’t recall saying “effing ell Callum” under my breath at all on Wednesday. ???

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

@JonDolman suggested a while ago O’dowda could play wingback. 
Ive never felt he was capable. I’ve always criticised him for his lack of awareness & not being tough enough as he’s certainly big enough to use his body more.
I didn’t see the Blackburn game as I was away but thought he played well Wednesday . I really hope I’m wrong about him as no one wants our players to fail. Let’s hope he kicks on now.  

He has played there previously for us, but the bits in bold, together with switching off on runners has been a problem.

Callum has the athleticism to play the role, and in both second halves in the last 2 games he was right under my nose in the LS, and his concentration was really good.  Having a player like Nathan Baker inside him helps too (bar the Brereton goal where they left him to each other from the throw-in).  Acts as his minder a bit too, and I honestly think it’s given Callum confidence to be a bit more physical.

• Thanks 1

1 goal every 15 tells you exactly where we’ve been the last few years. He’s 26 years of age now and flattered to deceive in pretty much his whole 5 years here. I’m pleased he’s done well in his last two fixtures and contributed. It’s about time - he’s classed an international and cost over a 1m quid. Does he have ability? Yes. Not disputing that, many probably aren’t. Would question his courage though, something needed to eek out his ability and utilise it consistently week in week out. Prove us doubter wrong, Callum. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

1 goal every 15 tells you exactly where we’ve been the last few years. He’s 26 years of age now and flattered to deceive in pretty much his whole 5 years here. I’m pleased he’s done well in his last two fixtures and contributed. It’s about time - he’s classed an international and cost over a 1m quid. Does he have ability? Yes. Not disputing that, many probably aren’t. Would question his courage though, something needed to eek out his ability and utilise it consistently week in week out. Prove us doubter wrong, Callum. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 minute ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Look back. The last time he played this well consistently was when his contract was in its final year. 
There’s a player in there, but are we going to see it enough, after about 4/5 years of trying.

Yep, it’s all down to him now to prove this is a new dawn rather than a false dawn.  Between him and Nige they’ve potentially found a way to get more out of him.  Let’s see where we are in a few weeks time / Xmas, when hopefully we’ve seen him in 6-8 games.

Little things, getting a pen v Cov, scoring v Blackburn might mean it’s a confidence thing.  Remember in 17/18 when he scored his first goal it coincided with good form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Skin said:

I have never "Been a fan" of Callum simply due to his head down, turn back towards his own goal, style of play. But I did understand that a lot of that was due to the managerial instructions of "keep the ball even if it means going from opposition penalty box to our goalkeeper".

I suspect that Pearson's philosophy is do one's best to keep possession, but also that if you can leave a defender standing and have the possibility of creating goal scoring opportunities, then do so. It's then where "Team Play" comes into the equation, with such as Williams, James, and King covering for the time when he doesn't get past the defender and nobody is in position to cover. It's called team play and team spirit which we have not had for the last two or three years but the signs are now beginning to look much better. Hence we should see more of Callum as a flying wing (back).

• Like 1

On 25/11/2021 at 07:54, And Its Smith said:

You expect COD to put in MOTM performances every week? Harsh levels.  

Hopefully your post was tongue in cheek regarding the man and mouse stuff. 

Most fans don’t see it with COD but like I will always say, every club manager has always picked him. Pearson is the latest.  The abuse he has had is insane. Maybe if he hadn’t delayed his contract then fans would see it differently.  

I agree. Very harsh to demand MOTM performances every week.

Maybe a realistic target would be once every four year contract. Norwich was debatably one in his first contract. Looking forward to the next one. 

Genuinely hope the guy has finally turned the corner, finds some consistent good/excellent form and we, belatedly, get a return on Mark Ashton’s eye-wateringly expensive ‘investment’. 

CoD does seem a nice chap so I hope for him too that some good days are ahead. As we know though good humans don’t automatically make good footballers - as Bristol City Football Club have consistently proven.