IGNORED

One Swallow Doesn’t Make A Summer

Davefevs

Interesting to hear Pearson saying that it was Matty James in the dressing room after the game who was reminding the senior pros that they have a responsibility to look after the kids. Shows that a player can have influence even when he's not in the squad.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 15

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

…but I do think tonight and Saturday show what a bit of patience does!

We aren’t playing fantastic football at the mo’, but the talk of developing the culture (bringing in King and James in the summer) coupled with a hard line being taken with one or two yet to be named players seems to have finally began the upward trajectory.  Or at least halted the downward trend.

We aren’t gonna win every game, I’m sure we will have some stinkers at times, but Saturday and tonight become reference points / setting the bar.  When players dip in form, these games become the reminders, the little jolt - “remember how we felt when we worked our nuts off v Stoke, when we outmuscled Blackburn, etc”.  The players now know the levels.

Tonight was important for that.

Players can look at Scott and Benarous and Williams and see what taking the ball in tight spaces with confidence can give you.

O’Dowda will see that taking an early booking made his opponent makes his opponent think twice the next time he goes into a challenge.

Lots of little things to build upon.…but proof that things take time.

I agree but there is no reason the changes to formation, organisation, motivation and tactics we have seen in the last 2 games could not have been done 2 months ago. 

And the bonus is it looks like our players are good enough for this level after all.

6 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

I agree but there is no reason the changes to formation, organisation, motivation and tactics we have seen in the last 2 games could not have been done 2 months ago. 

And the bonus is it looks like our players are good enough for this level after all.

Maybe it needed the two week break to embed….not easy to do that in a busy period of games. This is the lightest period of games so far this season.  Maybe it needed O’Dowda fully match fit, Joe Williams fit, etc?  Maybe he wanted to HIS coaches in place?  Maybe he just needed to be braver?  Maybe he got some things wrong?

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

Maybe it needed the two week break to embed….not easy to do that in a busy period of games. This is the lightest period of games so far this season.  Maybe it needed O’Dowda fully match fit, Joe Williams fit, etc?  Maybe he wanted to HIS coaches in place?  Maybe he just needed to be braver?  Maybe he got some things wrong?

Yep, combo of all those.

What we have witnessed in the last 2 games is not "tweaking" behind the scenes but a total tear down and start again.

The last two games have felt the most comfortable from a watching point of view this season. I wasn’t at all worried that Stoke would equalise in the 9 minutes of injury time and the same with Blackburn. 
Earlier in the season I’d be on my betting app backing the opposition to score.

Its starting to feel we’ve something to work with……….finally.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting it was a hard change (or it appeared to us fans after Nige’s blunt declaration the other week). I wonder what prompted that? (Apart from results obvs). I suppose it seemed blunt because we’re used to a lot of waffle.

Hungry Food GIF

Edited by exAtyeoMax
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Interesting it was a hard change (or it appeared to us fans after Nige’s blunt declaration the other week). I wonder what prompted that? (Apart from results obvs). I suppose it seemed blunt because we’re used to a lot of waffle.

Hungry Food GIF

I think it was more a case of Pearson making a statement about his position after the illness and those social media rumours that must have bruised his ego. It was not only about who was on the bus, but who was driving it.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Yep, combo of all those.

What we have witnessed in the last 2 games is not "tweaking" behind the scenes but a total tear down and start again.

Even though plenty were saying to be patient & went into the reasons why plenty of times in depth . You were one that kept banging on about sacking him. 
I’m not point scoring & we're far from a good side however , it’s a reminder the next time we lose a couple on the trot not to go overboard . We’re in transition . We won’t see the fruits of it until next season imo 

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I would love to know the stats on the amount of ground covered by Andi and Chris tonight.

I have been a big critic of both lately but they were both very good last night. They aren’t perfect but the need for another forward is much less when they play like that. 

• Hmmm 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes agreed Dave, like Ive said something was different last Saturday, it seems we’ve turned a corner.  NP change in attitude might have been down to a health reason. Now he’s got back to being NP the Gaffer and we are a improved bunch. Now the hard work must continue, improve the finer details and improving players position as a team make us more clinical in front of goal by improving what we got or add to it.  I’m enjoying going to the Gate again. Effort and hard work makes a difference. The harder you work the more lucky you become…UTC.

Edited by Bodiesaffer
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the win and most of all that we didn't concede in the last few minutes. However it could have been very different if Stoke had taken their chances. We did put in the effort but sat back on the lead yet again. I didn't think we would hold on but we just about sneaked it. 

Maybe this will help the confidence levels which I feel have been a big part of our underperforming, especially at AG. We could play like that again and easily let in 3 if the opposition are a bit more clinical. So certainly still a very long way to go but maybe green shoots, especially with the young players. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Even though plenty were saying to be patient & went into the reasons why plenty of times in depth . You were one that kept banging on about sacking him. 
I’m not point scoring & we're far from a good side however , it’s a reminder the next time we lose a couple on the trot not to go overboard . We’re in transition . We won’t see the fruits of it until next season imo 

I don't see any problems in calling out a poster that claimed no more than two weeks ago that there was a big split in the dressing room, and insinuating the manager was to blame. 

If you come on here telling porkies then you need to be called out on it.

It's funny how some of the players rumoured to be "not on the bus", "unhappy", "wanting out" or all three, were involved last night:

Vyner, Bakinson, COD, and Wells was on the bench too.

In fact they've all been brought back into the side. 

Tactically, we have just abandoned starting Weimann, Martin and Wells together and gone back to a system seen more in the first couple of months of the season.

So, no, nothing has been torn down and started again. We went through a bad run of form which coincided with two periods of absence from the manager, and in which the period in between he was very unwell. 

That's a more likely explanation to what has happened, of late. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I enjoyed the win and most of all that we didn't concede in the last few minutes. However it could have been very different if Stoke had taken their chances. We did put in the effort but sat back on the lead yet again. I didn't think we would hold on but we just about sneaked it. 

Maybe this will help the confidence levels which I feel have been a big part of our underperforming, especially at AG. We could play like that again and easily let in 3 if the opposition are a bit more clinical. So certainly still a very long way to go but maybe green shoots, especially with the young players. 

My feelings exactly.  Effort was there, digging in was there . Some of the young ones look the part, like real prospects, big fan of Benarous.

But on another day that's a 1-3, 1-4 game. How we see the effort and tough out is based on chances they should have scored not being taken. And they really should have. The football paradox I guess.  

Most of the 2nd half was just waiting for the gane to end. Its results mode only at the moment, the faster we get them the better. 

Edited by The turtle

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I don't see any problems in calling out a poster that claimed no more than two weeks ago that there was a big split in the dressing room, and insinuating the manager was to blame. 

If you come on here telling porkies then you need to be called out on it.

It's funny how some of the players rumoured to be "not on the bus", "unhappy", "wanting out" or all three, were involved last night:

Vyner, Bakinson, COD, and Wells was on the bench too.

In fact they've all been brought back into the side. 

Tactically, we have just abandoned starting Weimann, Martin and Wells together and gone back to a system seen more in the first couple of months of the season.

So, no, nothing has been torn down and started again. We went through a bad run of form which coincided with two periods of absence from the manager, and in which the period in between he was very unwell. 

That's a more likely explanation to what has happened, of late. 

Quite right. Their revisionism has been quite astounding. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Presume you are talking about Conway? The problem is he is not proven yet and if we don't get another forward in and Conway isn't quite up to it we are no better off than we have been for the last few months. Tough call.

No, Semenyo, Strong, athletic and has pace. Time for him now to push on… Maybe not fit enough ATM.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The turtle said:

My feelings exactly.  Effort was there, digging in was there . Some of the young ones look the part, like real prospects, big fan of Benarous.

But on another day that's a 1-3, 1-4 game. How we see the effort and tough out is based on chances they should have scored not being taken. And they really should have. The football paradox I guess.  

Most of the 2nd half was just waiting for the gane to end. Its results mode only at the moment, the faster we get them the better. 

Think fair to say that overall last night the luck was with us, but plenty of other games when it hasn’t been. Both last night and against Blackburn it hasn’t felt as backs to the wall as earlier in the season. Stoke’s big chances were in the first half, not the dying embers of the game. Think we’ve seen enough over the last two games that’s genuine progress, as well as (last night, not against Blackburn) the rub of the green. 

• Like 2

The past two games have shown great spirit, however the way we play is simply unsustainable to achieve consistent positive results.

We have to learn quickly how to keep the ball better and possession. Or bring in players in January who can help with this.

It's no coincidence we've conceded so often at the end of games.

Players are fatigued both mentally and physically. You need possession as a time to rest and recover in games.

We are constantly chasing, never having time to recover mentally and physically.

This leads to mistakes and injury.

It'll get harder as well in the winter months.

Great couple of results...but it's simply unsustainable.

Thankfully NP knows this as he alluded to it in his pre match interview.

Whether he will be able to do anything about it with this lot is another thing.

• Like 5