IGNORED

Bakinson MOM?

Nuno Gomes

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He did ok, but that is bizarre.

Presumably Goodman was concentrating on Stoke so gave it to him because we won & he scored the goal?

Absolutely loads of better performances than his for us.

Yeah i thought Tymon would get it by all the praise he was getting. But i thought Bakinson showed a lot more grit and got stuck in more than I have seen. Maybe i just noticed him more as he was pretty big compared to their midfield. For me it was Scott but very close between him and Benarous.

I think there are many ways to be the best player. Last night and on Saturday, Bakinson's positional play in defence was better than I have ever seen him play. Rather than following the "**** 'em up get into 'em" chant from those who don't really understand how defending works, he worked with the others to cut down options and showed a lot of patience to stay in the shape.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think there are many ways to be the best player. Last night and on Saturday, Bakinson's positional play in defence was better than I have ever seen him play. Rather than following the "**** 'em up get into 'em" chant from those who don't really understand how defending works, he worked with the others to cut down options and showed a lot of patience to stay in the shape.

I think his positional discipline has noticeably improved over the last few games. He seemed to have a better understanding last night of when to hold and when to go. He drove us forward with the ball a few times as well.

Maybe others were more deserving but I think he did very well last night.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So true, and as the senior midfielder with Han (20) and Ayman (18) he held the centre well after Williams went off.

There were times last night where we got it really right and Stoke tried to force the killer pass and gave it away.  Good to see, especially with such a young side out.

• Like 3

I was surprised, but also sort of glad he got it, he has had a lot of stick (some rightfully so), and been a scapegoat for many when things don't come off, even though he has tried to do certain things. His positional play was definitely better and he was constantly looking around a lot more to get himself right. He seemed to be buzzing after getting it, and as above it won't do him any harm.

Hopefully the likes of Benarous and Scott will get one sooner or later.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

So true, and as the senior midfielder with Han (20) and Ayman (18) he held the centre well after Williams went off.

There were times last night where we got it really right and Stoke tried to force the killer pass and gave it away.  Good to see, especially with such a young side out.

Agree!   I was convinced that we'd concede when Williams went off - he's such a positive influence on our game.   But we didn't collapse and Baki does get a lot of credit for that.   HNM was a powerhouse - really got stuck in - albeit a bit too hard at times and needs a bit more refinement!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Had a dreadful first 30 mins but confidence soared after goal. Not a fan but credit where it’s due, he was incredibly disciplined and helped see us over the line.  Hopefully he can take that forward as if he’s successful we are all going to be happy.

No he didn’t.  Far from dreadful.  The whole team struggled for the first thirty minutes, but if anyone was dreadful it was Williams.  Bakinson was decent throughout.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

No he didn’t.  Far from dreadful.  The whole team struggled for the first thirty minutes, but if anyone was dreadful it was Williams.  Bakinson was decent throughout.

Williams made a brilliant through pass to the striker in the first 30 mins.

Just a shame it was their striker.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shuffle said:

Had a dreadful first 30 mins but confidence soared after goal. Not a fan but credit where it’s due, he was incredibly disciplined and helped see us over the line.  Hopefully he can take that forward as if he’s successful we are all going to be happy.

He’s such a mad player.

Immediately after he scored he played a through ball that even Glenn Hoddle would have been proud of, a superb first time, long flighted pass over the head of a defender perfectly into Weimann’s stride.

The absolute definition of a confidence player & totally agree that whilst there is still room for improvement (how can you possibly be so poor in the air at 6ft 3?) his positional play is definitely improving.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He’s such a mad player.

Immediately after he scored he played a through ball that even Glenn Hoddle would have been proud of, a superb first time, long flighted pass over the head of a defender perfectly into Weimann’s stride.

The absolute definition of a confidence player & totally agree that whilst there is still room for improvement (how can you possibly be so poor in the air at 6ft 3?) his positional play is definitely improving.

Last night he had 3 shots:

1. header at the back post 5 mins before he scored - cross from Williams from right centre - tame header on target
  2. the goal
  3. a volley over at start of second half from another long throw

Adding a bit of a different dimension to his game.  For Champ CM / AM > 500 mins, he’s in the top 20 shots per 90 mins.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Last night he had 3 shots:

1. header at the back post 5 mins before he scored - cross from Williams from right centre - tame header on target
  2. the goal
  3. a volley over at start of second half from another long throw

Adding a bit of a different dimension to his game.  For Champ CM / AM > 500 mins, he’s in the top 20 shots per 90 mins.

Nige said afterwards he was our third top scorer last season (though only with 4), as the goals at Wycombe & Sheff Wed showed, unlike the rest of our midfielders (bar possibly King, though his Leicester pomp is clearly a memory now) he is a threat.

When you add in his undoubted technical ability, range of passing, height & potential to do the defensive bits as recent displays have showed, he could be some player.

All down to him now.

• Like 3

@JonDolmanwe hold a year option too.  In T’s case, his age and therefore wage would be at a level where exercising that option would be a no-brainer and you wouldn’t need to negotiate down like Weimann for example.  Having said that if he is putting the right level of performance in, you might want to try to extend.

@GrahamC if Nige’s comments are true, and the penny has dropped, that is a good sign.  Up to him now.  Will be watching carefully to see if we get the customary Tyreeq level-off and decline.  Bar the opening 15 minutes on Wednesday where he struggled (as did the team) I thought he defended the area in front of the CBs pretty well.  There was a shot (Allen I think) where Joe Williams closed down from further away initially than Tyreeq, but I don’t recall any other occasion where I thought he didn’t do his job.  Plus very mature last half hour when playing the anchor to our 20 and 18 year old midfield partners!

If Nige can get a tune out of him (and Callum too) that’s a big plus.

I liked his Sky interview too.

• Like 2

I thought Bakinson played well (but not MOM).

We are in really interesting times. Gone are the days of spending money frivolously, and NP is having you use and develop what he’s got. Fans will get behind young players if we see them giving their all, and that’s what happened on Tues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@JonDolmanwe hold a year option too.  In T’s case, his age and therefore wage would be at a level where exercising that option would be a no-brainer and you wouldn’t need to negotiate down like Weimann for example.  Having said that if he is putting the right level of performance in, you might want to try to extend.

@GrahamC if Nige’s comments are true, and the penny has dropped, that is a good sign.  Up to him now.  Will be watching carefully to see if we get the customary Tyreeq level-off and decline.  Bar the opening 15 minutes on Wednesday where he struggled (as did the team) I thought he defended the area in front of the CBs pretty well.  There was a shot (Allen I think) where Joe Williams closed down from further away initially than Tyreeq, but I don’t recall any other occasion where I thought he didn’t do his job.  Plus very mature last half hour when playing the anchor to our 20 and 18 year old midfield partners!

If Nige can get a tune out of him (and Callum too) that’s a big plus.

I liked his Sky interview too.

32 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Ahh great didn't know that. I guess that will be triggered as it won't be like the Baker, Weimann situation that he's on more than what we can afford.

Its been triggered! 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-take-up-bakinson-option/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1