IGNORED

Joe Williams out Sunday?

DT The Optimist

Now reported Joe felt hamstring in other leg, hence his substitution last night.  NP saying not the one which was recent issue.   However minor. 
Let’s hope James back Sunday if that is the case, cannot envisage a scenario where they would risk him 4 days later and make it worse…

such a good player and seems blighted with niggles. Let’s home the new sports injuries team sort him 

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought he made a lot of mistakes last night, mistakes that a less popular player would have received a lot more criticism for. As far as the injury goes, I do wonder whether he it is a worry for him sub-consciously. 

Was it him that made the back pass in the first half which nearly led to a goal?

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He did it on the right second half when dribbling and winning a throw with Fletcher trying to tackle him. Stayed on for a bit longer and was still sprinting so hopefully nothing too serious.

He's an important player but we looked fine once he went off.

Yrs he had s good muscle stretch after the tackle. But seemed Okies after. And I did feel he did not look totally happy all the time he was on last night. Did some good stuff as per normal but that dreadful back pass. He just seemed not 100% to me from the start . Def rest Sunday do we need King back 

Apart from the crazy back pass he is one of the few players who seem to be comfortable playing the ball from a tight position without going back to Bentley or hoofing it.

He could be our most effective player?

Interesting Stoke manager said our only threat was a long throw - A fully fit Williams would add so much more for the opposition to worry about. Will be great to see him and James fit and firing for 5 consecutive games?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Apart from the crazy back pass he is one of the few players who seem to be comfortable playing the ball from a tight position without going back to Bentley or hoofing it.

Interesting Stoke manager said our only threat was a long throw - A fully fit Williams would add so much more for the opposition to worry about. Will be great to see him and James fit and firing for 5 consecutive games?

Really? I would have thought he might have been a bit worried about CO'D bombing past his full back and whipping in crosses, but hey maybe that's why I am not a Manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JonDolman said:

Yeah he might have not been right all game. Just thought the stretch and look he gave might have meant he felt something then.

A fit Williams is so important to the team. But at present he seems to be going from one niggle to another. Which is all round worrying situ. I do feel Bakinson stepped up well when Williams went off. And I have Been big Bakinson doubter. But do not want to see Bakinson cover the Williams role from starting a game which means needing a fit King. Injury's not so many this season but not helping us again 

1 minute ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

A fit Williams is so important to the team. But at present he seems to be going from one niggle to another. Which is all round worrying situ. I do feel Bakinson stepped up well when Williams went off. And I have Been big Bakinson doubter. But do not want to see Bakinson cover the Williams role from starting a game which means needing a fit King. Injury's not so many this season but not helping us again 

I think that playing him midweek is the problem, it seems to me that he has had issues every time we have played him to games in quick succession. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I think King is out for some time ?

James should be ok for sunday.

14 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Oh the f@ckin irony !!

That was Stoke's only threat for years !!

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Really? I would have thought he might have been a bit worried about CO'D bombing past his full back and whipping in crosses, but hey maybe that's why I am not a Manager.

Michael O'Neil's post game comments were massively disrespectful to us and incredibly one-eyed. Apparently, they "should have had a penalty". I suppose he didn't notice the handball in their box in the first half?

That guy has gone right down in my estimation.

His playing record (our best friend Wiki) apart from his time here is more than respectable.   38 appearances in a full season for Wigan before he arrived here.

I thought last night he was 'not himself' and commented to my mate perhaps his match fitness not quite there yet after such a long lay off to play Saturday midweek etc. 

Joe is one of the bright spots from the previous regimes....when fit

Club Season League FA Cup League Cup Other Total
Division Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals
Everton 2017–18[5] Premier League 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2018–19[13] Premier League 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Barnsley (loan) 2017–18[5] Championship 34 1 1 0 3 0 38 1
Bolton Wanderers (loan) 2018–19[13] Championship 29 0 0 0 0 0 29 0
Wigan Athletic 2019–20[14] Championship 38 1 1 0 1 0 40 1

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Michael O'Neil's post game comments were massively disrespectful to us and incredibly one-eyed. Apparently, they "should have had a penalty". I suppose he didn't notice the handball in their box in the first half?

Was that when their player had his hand caught in Massengo's hair? :)

• Haha 3

Yes he did make 2 errors last night. The back pass, plus a bad blind square ball on the halfway line that lost possession, but aside from that he had a good first half and made plenty of tackles and interceptions. 
I did wonder if we should’ve played him though. He clearly needed to be managed back gradually and I wonder if a rest last night would have been the better option and then play him again Sunday. 
Guess the lack of options in the middle made the decision to play him. 
I think he’s a crucial player for us so we shouldn’t have played him last night. 

20 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I thought he was very fair and realistic actually. 
Yes, they absolutely should’ve had a penalty when HNM wrestled Ostigard down on that corner. They hit the woodwork twice and had a couple of other very good chances and could easily have scored 3 or 4 on another night. 
We got pretty lucky - although we battled well - but we still kinda got away with one last night. 

• Like 2

I thought the substitution looked pre-meditated  to me (Which would have been bold  given the state of the game!)

I don't think he was ever going to play the full 90 especially with a game coming up Sunday, but an hour will help match fitness and hopefully prevent these niggly injuries for him. Was in constant communication with the physios and bench 2nd half, think he was desperate to stay on but the decision was made to haul him off (Which seems sensible if he was suffering from tightness)

Wasn't as good last night as Saturday but thought he still had a really solid game in there other than the obvious error. Think he really contributes to the 'bite' and gives other players confidence to throw themselves about a bit as there's a bit more fight in the team with him in it!

Hope it was pre-meditated and precautionary as think he'll be needed again Sunday

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes. A really odd one as you couldn't see what he was trying to do.

Those bloody invisible green shirts I reckon! ?

41 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think King is out for some time ?

James should be ok for sunday.

King was gonna be early December….let’s hope he’s progressing.

26 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

His playing record (our best friend Wiki) apart from his time here is more than respectable.   38 appearances in a full season for Wigan before he arrived here.

I thought last night he was 'not himself' and commented to my mate perhaps his match fitness not quite there yet after such a long lay off to play Saturday midweek etc. 

Joe is one of the bright spots from the previous regimes....when fit

Club Season League FA Cup League Cup Other Total
Division Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals
Everton 2017–18[5] Premier League 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2018–19[13] Premier League 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Barnsley (loan) 2017–18[5] Championship 34 1 1 0 3 0 38 1
Bolton Wanderers (loan) 2018–19[13] Championship 29 0 0 0 0 0 29 0
Wigan Athletic 2019–20[14] Championship 38 1 1 0 1 0 40 1

…and also if you bare in mind his age in those seasons….21, 22 and 23, that’s very good.  Shame our ex-Evertonian didn’t play as many in all his time here as Joe did in one season at Bolton.

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yes, they absolutely should’ve had a penalty when HNM wrestled Ostigard down on that corner. They hit the woodwork twice and had a couple of other very good chances and could easily have scored 3 or 4 on another night. 
We got pretty lucky - although we battled well - but we still kinda got away with one last night. 

Did you spot the chunk of shirt / shoulder Østigård had on Massengo?

Didnt realise Bents didn’t save Fletcher’s header onto the cross bar….from 100 yards away it looked a brilliant save ???

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did you spot the chunk of shirt / shoulder Østigård had on Massengo?

Didnt realise Bents didn’t save Fletcher’s header onto the cross bar….from 100 yards away it looked a brilliant save ???

It was as blatant a pen as you’ll see. If that was against us, I’d be livid. 

32 minutes ago, Harry said:

As I said, he ignored penalty shouts our way. Suggested the admittedly crap ref was biased and came across as arrogant and a sore loser.  Maybe he should take up professional snooker?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I think that playing him midweek is the problem, it seems to me that he has had issues every time we have played him to games in quick succession. 

Yes I know, maybe he needs just to play weekends for bit ?. Which is a pity but better than on and off the injury list ?. Still sort of surprises me the medical team cannot seem to keep him fit. ?Or sort out a playing strategy for him that keeps him fit 

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

As I said, he ignored penalty shouts our way. Suggested the admittedly crap ref was biased and came across as arrogant and a sore loser.  Maybe he should take up professional snooker?

I feel after seemingly a good start to the season with refs in the Championship. They dropped back a lot in any sort of constituency. 

Why I wonder ?

Because I watch as much City as I can live and on robins,TV or wherever. And catch as much championship on box as allows and it seems across the board 

30 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yep. Our penalty shout was a good one. Theirs was blatant. 
End of the day, they were by far the better team, but we got the result. Of course their manager isn’t gonna be happy with that. 

29 minutes ago, grifty said:

It was never a penalty. It may have looked like one, but the Stoke player had hold of Massengos hair and pulled him onto him and then fell over. 

Perhaps he should get his hair cut then. ?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

He did it on the right second half when dribbling and winning a throw with Fletcher trying to tackle him. Stayed on for a bit longer and was still sprinting so hopefully nothing too serious.

He's an important player but we looked fine once he went off.

I thought for 5-10 minutes after he went off we lost our bite in midfield a bit, but HNM got into it a bit more and we managed to get a foot hold in the game again. 

It wasn't Williams' best performance for us, but he is in credit for sure

1 minute ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I feel after seemingly a good start to the season with refs in the Championship. They dropped back a lot in any sort of constituency. 

Why I wonder ?

Because I watch as much City as I can live and on robins,TV or wherever. And catch as much championship on box as allows and it seems across the board 

It is the lack of consistency that is so bad. Various Stoke players were allowed to climb all over Chris Martin, yet when O'Dowda did the same to a Stokie to jump for a long ball, it was given as a foul. There are lots of other examples. 

• Like 1