IGNORED

The Football Regulator

ExiledAjax

FYI for anyone interested.

There's been a lot of discussion on here around the topics included in the report by the Fan-Led Review. £38m pounds of losses, Derby & the EFL, parachute payments, recent events at Oldham, even the video of Colchester Chairman/Owner Robbie Cowling in which he says "it's my club not your club". All of these aspects of football are touched on by the report.

It's good to see that our club is open to dialogue on this topic.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

A few little updates here.

On 21 February the Football Supporters Association met with the EFL and some fan representatives, and the minutes of that meeting have just been published. Relevant extracts cut and pasted below, full minutes available here https://thefsa.org.uk/news/fan-reps-meet-efl-executives-february-2022/. Interesting to note that broadly the EFL is behind the FLR, but is mired in 'negotiations' with the PL around distributable revenues (which will be linked to parachute payment reforms).

The full and formal government response to the FLR is expected very soon, but earlier this week Sports minister Nigel Huddleston faced questions from MPs on the subject. This gave us the strongest statement yet from a Minister: "I can’t promise the timescales of legislation but there’s no intent to kick this into the long grass or delay it. It is incredibly complex, this is not easy, we’re going to set up a regulator and that will require primary legislation. The timing of it is something we’re discussing at the moment.” Note the confirmation that the Government do intend to establish some sort of football regulator. Excellent.

image.png.70a8ed49a628d198c42daa73c8963d91.png

image.png.aa4f18b58ada0bbad96f88256d557130.png

More widely, I'd like to again encourage anyone who cares about what's going on at City, Chelsea, Bury, Derby, Newcastle, or any other football club, to write to their MP and ask that MP to support the FLR. Again the FSA provide some great guidance on how to do this.

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/fans-can-fix-football-heres-how/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

A few little updates here.

On 21 February the Football Supporters Association met with the EFL and some fan representatives, and the minutes of that meeting have just been published. Relevant extracts cut and pasted below, full minutes available here https://thefsa.org.uk/news/fan-reps-meet-efl-executives-february-2022/. Interesting to note that broadly the EFL is behind the FLR, but is mired in 'negotiations' with the PL around distributable revenues (which will be linked to parachute payment reforms).

The full and formal government response to the FLR is expected very soon, but earlier this week Sports minister Nigel Huddleston faced questions from MPs on the subject. This gave us the strongest statement yet from a Minister: "I can’t promise the timescales of legislation but there’s no intent to kick this into the long grass or delay it. It is incredibly complex, this is not easy, we’re going to set up a regulator and that will require primary legislation. The timing of it is something we’re discussing at the moment.” Note the confirmation that the Government do intend to establish some sort of football regulator. Excellent.

image.png.70a8ed49a628d198c42daa73c8963d91.png

image.png.aa4f18b58ada0bbad96f88256d557130.png

More widely, I'd like to again encourage anyone who cares about what's going on at City, Chelsea, Bury, Derby, Newcastle, or any other football club, to write to their MP and ask that MP to support the FLR. Again the FSA provide some great guidance on how to do this.

https://thefsa.org.uk/news/fans-can-fix-football-heres-how/

Thanks, encouraging stuff, other than the Premier League presumably not playing ball.

But the acid test is whether a Bill appears in the next Queen's Speech. I won't hold my breath until then. The Premier League is rich and powerful and rich and powerful people tend to get their way with this government. So I still fear a watered down version.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Thanks, encouraging stuff, other than the Premier League presumably not playing ball.

But the acid test is whether a Bill appears in the next Queen's Speech. I won't hold my breath until then. The Premier League is rich and powerful and rich and powerful people tend to get their way with this government. So I still fear a watered down version.

It's a fair fear.

However, set aside your cynicism for a moment and consider that I've heard a little from people working on this, including from people who have spoken to MPs in the Bristol area. I'm now making some sweeping generalisations, but the mood amongst MPs is receptive, and the FLR does have cross-party support. You might expect Conservatives to be against this - but remember that this is a report championed by a Conservative MP. Whilst they are sceptical, Conservatives are not united against any form of regulator whatsoever, and certainly don't oppose this to the point of lobbying or arguing against its inclusion in the Queen's Speech. Conversely Labour are perhaps actually more against the FLR and it's recommendations than the man in the street may expect. As I said, this is a Conservative suggestion, and Labour don't like admitting that Conservatives, especially these Conservatives, are correct. So there is some begrudging support, made through gritted teeth - but it is support nonetheless. Lib Dems and SNP are all broadly supportive. 

I am actually quite confident that the introduction of a "Football Bill"* will be included in the Queen's Speech. That will pave the way for the formation of a regulator and the introduction of a licensing regime for football.

Whilst there is support, it is still important to keep reminding MPs that their voters want reform. Write to them, make it clear that whether or not they support the FLR will be a factor in your voting decision at the next election. This is something that has actually gained traction, but we have to support anyone who is fighting the Prem's position on this. The Prem teams (actually more the Villas, Newcastles, and West Hams rather than Man Citys and Liverpools) are actively working against it. If we want Bristol City to compete in a league that has more integrity, fairness, and fan appreciation, then now is the time to push for it.

*it is expected that this will go straight in as a Peer's Bill in the HoL, so avoiding an initial reading in the HoC and hopefully speeding the process up a little.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Thanks 1

Our supporters club and trust have provided an excellent piece too, as follows: 

Football in England is broken, and we need your help to fix it.

The Fan-led Review of Football Governance (the “Fan-led Review”) makes a series of recommendations that could reform the way in which football in England is run. It makes proposals that, if implemented, will ensure a fairer financial structure (especially in the Championship) and a veto for some key matters, like club colours and stadium location.

The Fan-led Review’s main recommendation is to create an Independent Regulator for English Football (“IREF”). The Sports Minister has said that IREF will be created, but the Government hasn’t yet begun this process. It is now our job to put pressure on the politicians, and to ensure that there is no watering down of the Fan-led Review's recommendations and thus of IREF’s powers. The big Premier League clubs are already trying to do precisely that.

Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust wholeheartedly support the Fan-led Review's recommendations and want the Government to implement them all. 

Key among them are:

• supporters to have a veto over changes to stadium names, club badges, club location, home colours and joining any breakaway competition;

• a revamp of wealth distribution in the game, including a reform of parachute payments, so that a more level playing field is created, especially in the Championship;

• the creation of an independent regulator for football (IREF) with the necessary powers to prevent developments like the European Super League;

• the regulator to impose stronger financial controls to avoid another Bury or Derby; and

• a separate review to be set up specifically to explore the challenges facing the women’s game

The Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust is in ongoing discussions with Richard Gould (Bristol City’s CEO) about how Bristol City could embrace the recommendations of the Fan-led Review, and we understand that he has written to local MPs seeking their support for it.

Now it is our turn! We need to write to our MPs to ensure that the Fan-led Review’s recommendations don't get watered down to serve the interests of a few mega-rich clubs.

The Football Supporters’ Association are encouraging all fans to lobby their MPs, and here’s how you can help:

E-mail your MP.

You can find their e-mail address here: members.parliament.uk/FindYourMP

MPs respond well to personally written e-mails from their constituents, but we have provided some guidance below which you can use and/or rewrite into your own style.

What should I say to my MP?

• Say who you are and where you live. Be polite. If your MP's constituency is in BCFC's 'patch', mention City (and any specific aspects of the review's recommendations that you think would help the club and/or its fans).

• Ask your MP to write to Nadine Dorries, Secretary of State at DCMS, to ask her for a firm commitment that legislation supporting the full implementation of the Fan-led Review will be in the upcoming Queen’s Speech.

• Point out that football has had many opportunities to self-regulate and has not taken them. The Government’s commitment to the Fan-led Review in its manifesto was welcome, and it should now deliver upon the recommendations of the report (you might wish to mention some of them, see above).

• Thank your MP and encourage them to read the Fan-led Review which can be downloaded from the DCMS website here. 

• Copy in (as a blind copy, i.e., BCC) the FSA (mp@thefsa.org.uk) so they can see which MPs have been contacted. 

Some further advice can be found on the FSA’s website here.

The Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust will also be writing to all MPs in Bristol City's catchment area.

Fans and fan groups all over the country are doing this. The more e-mails, ideally written in your own personal style, that MPs receive, the greater the chance that critical change for a better future for football will finally be implemented.

Please don't delay. Send off that e-mail to your MP today..

Stu Rogers

Chair

open.php?u=30962987&id=30ef477c27544337866390be3492e1b1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In good news the Government have said they will introduce an independent football regulator in England after backing the fan-led review - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61211255

Full official response available here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/government-response-to-the-fan-led-review-of-football-governance/government-response-to-the-fan-led-review-of-football-governance

Includes a commitment to review alcohol in sports legislation.

But...they aren't going to be making the laws needed until 2024.

Expect a white paper from the Government "imminently". 

Oh and the Government also recently announced a review into domestic women's football - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61199983. To be published this year.

So some good progress, and the principle has cross-party support with 52 MPs recently committing to Fair Game to support the legislation.

https://www.fairgameuk.org/press-releases/52mps

Generally good news, but cautious optimism only.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

In good news the Government have said they will introduce an independent football regulator in England after backing the fan-led review - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61211255

Full official response available here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/government-response-to-the-fan-led-review-of-football-governance/government-response-to-the-fan-led-review-of-football-governance

Includes a commitment to review alcohol in sports legislation.

Expect a white paper from the Government "imminently". 

Oh and the Government also recently announced a review into domestic women's football - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61199983. To be published this year.

So some good progress, and the principle has cross-party support with 52 MPs recently committing to Fair Game to support the legislation.

https://www.fairgameuk.org/press-releases/52mps

Generally good news, but cautious optimism only.

Predictably, Crouch's recommendation of a levy on incoming Premier League transfers is not included.

The issue of more equitable distribution of money (including parachute payments) has also been left to the leagues to sort out themselves. Good luck with that, though I did hear that they have been told to sort it out by the summer or the government will intervene.

Still, a step in the right direction.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Predictably, Crouch's recommendation of a levy on incoming Premier League transfers is not included.

The issue of more equitable distribution of money (including parachute payments) has also been left to the leagues to sort out themselves. Good luck with that, though I did hear that they have been told to sort it out by the summer or the government will intervene.

Still, a step in the right direction.

Agreed, I posted first before reading through. I've skimmed it now and there are some glaring omissions or areas where the Gov sort of skirts the issue.

In addition to what you point out I'm concerned that they have said they "Support" rather than "Accept" the recommendations regarding Shadow Boards and Golden Shares - ie fan engagement and protection of heritage. I think they want clarity on the mechanisms here before fully accepting them, and that is ok, but I'd have liked something a bit more concrete there.

Still, at least it's now committed to, and they did include financial oversight as an IREF power, so that's something that not everyone thought was a given.

I get the feeling as well that some of those within the DCMS are not happy at this either. Julian Knight, Tory and chair of the DCMS committee, has come out quite strongly criticising the lack of a timetable. He's accused the government of "parking the bus" on reform. That is powerful criticism of Dorries and Johnson by one of their own.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Agreed, I posted first before reading through. I've skimmed it now and there are some glaring omissions or areas where the Gov sort of skirts the issue.

In addition to what you point out I'm concerned that they have said they "Support" rather than "Accept" the recommendations regarding Shadow Boards and Golden Shares - ie fan engagement and protection of heritage. I think they want clarity on the mechanisms here before fully accepting them, and that is ok, but I'd have liked something a bit more concrete there.

Still, at least it's now committed to, and they did include financial oversight as an IREF power, so that's something that not everyone thought was a given.

I get the feeling as well that some of those within the DCMS are not happy at this either. Julian Knight, Tory and chair of the DCMS committee, has come out quite strongly criticising the lack of a timetable. He's accused the government of "parking the bus" on reform. That is powerful criticism of Dorries and Johnson by one of their own.

Yes, all a bit vague and slow. I'll see what the White Paper says before judging.

11 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

So it won't be dealt with this parliament then, not sure it will be a priority for a new government, so will probably be swept under the carpet and forgotten about in due course.

23 minutes ago, Hxj said:

So it won't be dealt with this parliament then, not sure it will be a priority for a new government, so will probably be swept under the carpet and forgotten about in due course.

They've said they'll pass the law during this parliament. That's where the 2024 date comes from.

The lack of timetable is disappointing of course, but there is movement already.

An FCA employee has been tasked with sketching out a shadow regulator, and is doing that right now.

Yes there's opposition from some MPs, and from the Premier League, and that's no small thing. I also understand that the corridors of Westminster are littered with unpassed bills and watered down Acts.

But I'm choosing to be optimistic. 

Sounds like premier league want position based funding if it’s replacing parachute payments, if there’s a base level of funding in each division and then performance based payments on top I’d be fine with it. But clubs at all levels need to know they’re getting a minimum of x funding 

This replacement of Parachute Payments would be very good to see. Would smooth the cliff edge significantly, might torpedo a few business models in the process but depending on what is proposed, it's definitely for the greater good of the game.

Weighted for division, an equal split of the Parachute and Solidarity Payments seems sensible I think.

As for weighting, however the Solidarity Payments are weighted now could be a way to go. Or starting point.

Would hopefully be aligned with building on the good points of FFP and strengthening the weaker bits. Plus a universal system of enforcement and basic standards between the PL and EFL. I don't think if push comes to shove that the PL would enforce a months long Embargo while investigating a newly promoted club at the request of the EFL, let alone a major points deduction at their request.

Not so optimistic now.

Seems that the slimey Christian Purslow- no bias there at all- and Dick Nick De Marco are two of those on the review panel!

The future of football club governance

• Tracey Crouch MP, Chair of the Independent Fan-led Review of Football Governance
  • Nick De Marco QC, Barrister, Blackstone Chambers
  • Christian Purslow, CEO, Aston Villa FC
  • Martyn Ziegler, Chief Sports Reporter, The Times

https://www.lawinsport.com/sports-law-events/conference/155-football-law-2022-player-transfers-agents-politics-and-the-business-of-football

Although Andy Holt has possibly stirred people up a bit because it's a Conference/debate panel.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seems that the slimey Christian Purslow- no bias there at all- and Dick Nick De Marco are two of those on the review panel!

Mr P, isn't this just a panel for a one off session at this conference? This doesn't look like an announcement about any panel that is going to prepare the Whitepaper or draft any legislation etc. It's just a talk, at a conference. In that respect it would be interesting to see Purslow and Crouch talk in person.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Mr P, isn't this just a panel for a one off session at this conference? This doesn't look like an announcement about any panel that is going to prepare the Whitepaper or draft any legislation etc. It's just a talk, at a conference. In that respect it would be interesting to see Purslow and Crouch talk in person.

Thanks yeah may have jumped the gun a little- Andy Holt seemed quite irate about it though, as did fans responding. If that's all it is then that's okay.

16 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Stuff here from the FA on leveraged buyouts plus a claim that the FA is the place for an independent regulator to sit.

Though Tracey Crouch has pretty much dismissed them as next to useless so dream on chaps.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/11/fa-working-with-leagues-to-tackle-leveraged-takeovers-of-clubs

Only the FA and the Prem want it housed in the FA. Last I heard it is more likely it will sit as a department of the FCA (or at leas the in that building) whilst it establishes itself. The Fa is going to spend the summer, supported by the Prem, trying to demonstrate how grown up it is. No one will fall for it as everyone knows that the FA is a puppet of the Prem.

Shame there was no Bill in the speech yesterday, but at least it got a little mention.

White paper is expected in September,

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Only the FA and the Prem want it housed in the FA. Last I heard it is more likely it will sit as a department of the FCA (or at leas the in that building) whilst it establishes itself. The Fa is going to spend the summer, supported by the Prem, trying to demonstrate how grown up it is. No one will fall for it as everyone knows that the FA is a puppet of the Prem.

Shame there was no Bill in the speech yesterday, but at least it got a little mention.

White paper is expected in September,

I was reading the other day that this, along with other bills, didn't get in because it "wasn't Tory enough" as it involves regulation.

Tracey Crouch has integrity I'm sure. The Cabinet less so. Let's see if it gets in next time.

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I was reading the other day that this, along with other bills, didn't get in because it "wasn't Tory enough" as it involves regulation.

Tracey Crouch has integrity I'm sure. The Cabinet less so. Let's see if it gets in next time.

Yeh there's a hard line in the Conservative party that are against regulation in general. However, Fair Game did get 52 (so about 8%) of MPs, including 8 Conservatives, to sign up. Kerry McCarthy was the only Bristol MP to sign up officially.

What I've heard is that it is coming, it just might take a little longer. I don't want to make this a politics thread, but I would generally agree with your appraisal of the Cabinet.

• SC&T Board Members
4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh there's a hard line in the Conservative party that are against regulation in general. However, Fair Game did get 52 (so about 8%) of MPs, including 8 Conservatives, to sign up. Kerry McCarthy was the only Bristol MP to sign up officially.

What I've heard is that it is coming, it just might take a little longer. I don't want to make this a politics thread, but I would generally agree with your appraisal of the Cabinet.

And I'd agree that Crouch has integrity. As Ajax says, I believe this will happen. It will just take time. But as it has cross-party support, even a change of government shouldn't derail it. We'll get there in the end.

• Like 2

An interesting if inconclusive update.

Two points that stand out for me:

1. The Premier League is still not negotiating with the EFL.

2. It was news to me that the PL has allegedly accepted independent regulation.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/15/fan-led-review-of-football-governance-still-waiting-for-liftoff-after-12-months

• Like 3

Yep, one year anniversary today.

PL last week "agreed" to negotiate a "New Deal" with the EFL. But this isn't a united PL, the big six have different ideas about what that "New Deal" will look like.

Interesting moves in Parliament a couple of weeks ago though:

The Labour MP Kevin Brennan sent in an innocuous question to the Sports Minister Stuart Andrew MP. The initial response was fairly bland, but six hours later it was amended removing the key phrase “Following publication of the White Paper, we will bring forward legislation when parliamentary time allows”. The White Paper is the next parliamentary process required to deliver the required legislation to change the governance of football.

284e8a2d-3ab4-6b37-1cde-a5e9a95f50f7.jpg

The news began to spread through Parliament and several Lords then raised their concerns, among them were Fair Game supporters Baroness Taylor, Lord Addlington and Lord Faulkner.
The debate saw significant back-tracking from the Government on their commitment to an independent regulator, with their manifesto pledge, the fan-led review, their commitment to change in April and even Rishi Sunak’s promises just four months ago all apparently kicked into the long grass.

So the government seem confused as to whether they intend to introduce legislation or not. Sports Minister has also since refused to commit to a regulator in the Commons.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yep, one year anniversary today.

PL last week "agreed" to negotiate a "New Deal" with the EFL. But this isn't a united PL, the big six have different ideas about what that "New Deal" will look like.

Interesting moves in Parliament a couple of weeks ago though:

The Labour MP Kevin Brennan sent in an innocuous question to the Sports Minister Stuart Andrew MP. The initial response was fairly bland, but six hours later it was amended removing the key phrase “Following publication of the White Paper, we will bring forward legislation when parliamentary time allows”. The White Paper is the next parliamentary process required to deliver the required legislation to change the governance of football.

284e8a2d-3ab4-6b37-1cde-a5e9a95f50f7.jpg

The news began to spread through Parliament and several Lords then raised their concerns, among them were Fair Game supporters Baroness Taylor, Lord Addlington and Lord Faulkner.
The debate saw significant back-tracking from the Government on their commitment to an independent regulator, with their manifesto pledge, the fan-led review, their commitment to change in April and even Rishi Sunak’s promises just four months ago all apparently kicked into the long grass.

So the government seem confused as to whether they intend to introduce legislation or not. Sports Minister has also since refused to commit to a regulator in the Commons.

Thanks, my fear all along was that the government would backslide on this. So much for Sunak saying he would implement the 2019 manifesto.

As Crouch implied it may need to wait for a change of government.