IGNORED

Charlie Wyke

phantom

• Admin

Hopefully the Wigan striker is going to be OK he was rushed to hospital this afternoon after collapsing at training

On the incident, Wigan Athletic Chief Executive, Mal Brannigan, said: "First and foremost, the absolute priority for everyone associated with Wigan Athletic is Charlie’s health and wellbeing and providing support to him and his family.

“As a Club, we would like to place on record our sincere appreciation to all of the staff within the NHS who, within what we know are challenging times, were excellent in their response and subsequent care for Charlie, working together with our medical team.

“Clearly this news will cause alarm, though we would politely request that the privacy of Charlie and his family is respected.

"At the appropriate time, we will look to provide further updates to our supporters.”

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

• Admin

Clearly very lucky to be alive 

“First and foremost, I just want to stress my sincere appreciation to the Club’s medical staff and the NHS staff who have cared for me after I was taken into hospital last week. In particular, I would like to mention Dr. Rob Cooper from the Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital for everything he has done for me over the last week or so.

“I feel it’s important to tell my story to our supporters and to the wider public, because my life has been saved by the actions of the gaffer [Leam Richardson] and the club doctor Jonathan Tobin, and my story may well save another life.

“As you are aware, I collapsed during training on Monday. I suffered a cardiac arrest and required CPR, and I am told it was only the quick response of the gaffer to initiate the resuscitation process and then the continuation from the Doc that saved my life. I will be forever grateful that due to their actions – and those of my teammates and other staff - I am here to talk to about the experience.

“Thankfully, just a few weeks ago, the training ground staff had received CPR training, which has clearly proven to be life-saving with the way in which the gaffer reacted to my collapse and initiated the CPR on the training pitch. I think that sends out a message of just how important it is that coaches and staff have that training.

“The support from my teammates over the last few days has been incredible; the gesture to celebrate with my shirt at Plymouth just goes to show what a top group of lads we have here at Wigan. I’ve heard the fans singing my name when I’ve been watching the games from hospital too, which has been amazing to hear – I’m really thankful for that support.

“I have received thousands of messages from supporters of all of the Clubs I have played for, the wider football community and beyond, and the well-wishes have meant the world to me and my family. It was a real boost for me to see the photo of my former teammates at Sunderland wishing me well - a class touch from a great set of lads.

“I’m looking forward to going home to my son, partner and friends and family for the next few days.

“I can’t wait to get back to the training ground next week to see the lads, where I will start some light training that begins the process of hopefully being able to get back to full training with the team next year.

“Thank you for all of the support. Charlie”.

• Like 2

Excellent news, obviously, and I am pleased he appears to be making a fantastic recovery - justified praise for the prompt response from his manager and teammates and, subsequently, from the professional medical team. 

Interestingly, Charlie Wyke first came to my attention a few years ago on SKY, when he scored a hat trick against Rovers,   

Whilst I have no wish to deflect in any way from the serious incident that occurred to Charlie Wyke, I can't help but relate to the Medical Emergencies thread elsewhere on this forum.

I am well aware of the Baader-Meinhoff Phenomenon, or Red Car Syndrome as it is sometimes known, but isn't it amazing how this now 'appears' to be happening with ever-increasing regularity; not only to players on the pitch, but also to spectators in the stadiums.

It seems like only very recently when (for me) the first in-match heart related incident occurred, the Cameroonian, Mark Vivien Foe, who collapsed and died back in 2003 when playing in France.

Since then, of course, we had the headline making story of Fabrice Muamba back in 2012 and, more recently, Christian Eriksen, during the recent European Championships.

Jock Stein died at Ninian Park back in 1985 and, again, I seem to recall it was headline news.

A few weeks ago, we had the case at Newcastle's stadium and, within the past few days, two more similar incidents, all of which resulted in the match being halted temporarily to allow treatment to be carried out but, fortunately, did not result in any fatalities: the latter two incidents, however, seemed to warrant only a paragraph in the sports pages, certainly not front page headlines. 

I am sure a little research would confirm that, certainly in so far as it concerns spectators, such incidents have occurred regularly over the years, but it seems more attention is now being given to allowing on-site medical staff to provide immediate assistance, stopping the game if need be - and rightly so.

I have edited this post because I have just read the post above stating that Doctor Jonathan was the same doctor in the Charlie Wyke incident and the Fabrice Muamba incident: what an amazing coincidence.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

@PHILINFRANCEthis subject Has been discussed a bit on the politics side with various suggestions from vaccine / covid related to increased exertion levels in the modern game and/or lack of rest period with the disruption of the previous season, followed by a summer tournament.

It could even be that it’s just being reported more, someone shared a link that suggested the numbers of footballers suggesting heart related issues is no higher than usual in a year.

Definitely concerning in regard to fans but again, is it just coming to light more with games being stopped etc?