IGNORED

Food at the gate

Oldland2

41 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Not helped by the City Academy unpaid "Volunteers". Being asked to work for free as part of their education.

They do look as though they've mainly been bought against their will to work there.

When they recently gave a presentation at my son's school, they skipped through rather quickly the bit about; what rhe expectation is for the students to give up their time outside of school for the benefit of the club. Choosing to focus on "You can study E sports at Game, or Sports coaching etc"

Is this for real!? That’s an absolute shambles. 

Unless these kids really want to work on tills in other stadiums! 

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

For some reason, I get the impression an old sea dog like yourself wouldn’t broaden your horizons like this.. but I seriously recommend Feed the Goat at AG.

I don’t know if it’s still going this season, but it’s pretty awesome. Very much worth the extra cost.

I wouldn’t know PF - haven’t been in the concourse except when entering or exiting the stadium. I avoid the outlets at all costs.

I usually get a coffee up in the family stand, but I prefer a decaf and they don’t do them up there. 
So last night, I happened across the coffee stall in the lower concourse under the Lansdown - Atyeo end. I don’t usually go that way so I thought, ooh, I might be able to grab a decaf here. Lovely. 
So, I get myself a decaf. Excellent. 
Do you have any toppers? No. 
So I have to carry a hot coffee all the way up the 139 steps to the top of the stand without a top on it!! 
Cheers then. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest was it actually a pie, or was it a pasty.  Both times I’ve ordered a pie, they’ve given me a pasty.

It was a real honest to goodness "steak" Pie, there was meat but I'm not sure of origin.
I usually just ask for whatever they have, but I was early and had a choice, and no queue. 

One question, do they not do Balti pies any more ? I'm sure they used to.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I’ve refused to buy any food inside AG for years. It’s always been poor value for money, seriously overpriced and generally crap quality.

I frequently buy grub outside the stadium. It’s far cheaper and of decent quality.

I was the same up until 2 or 3 seasons ago when the food was actually quite good, the pies were very good and quite a lot of choice. Particularly liked the sheep pie or the curry pie.

Now they've changed supplier its back to crap, so no chance of me buying anything inside the stadium - might have a pint if we have time, but generally not. Don't mind some of the stuff in the fans village and we do buy, but much more likely to spend money in North street pre-match.

Shame, its definitely gone backwards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness if you’ve not bought any food inside for years, you’re probably out of touch with some of the excellent food they have sold over the past few seasons.  Pies aren't as nice this year admittedly, but until this season definitely not poor value for money / overpriced imho.

There has been some decent outlets. I used to love the Mexican burritos which had part of a kiosk in the Lansdown concourse.

And the Spanish van outside the Lansdown which is ran by two brothers.

Then the Jamaican on the South Stand corner where you could get Red Stripe and some good food.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I’ve refused to buy any food inside AG for years. It’s always been poor value for money, seriously overpriced and generally crap quality.

I frequently buy grub outside the stadium. It’s far cheaper and of decent quality.

I can honestly say, in my 55 years of going to the Gate , I have never bought any food at the ground .If I feel hungry I'll get fish & chips from a proper chippy. Same with beer, I go to the pub. Sorry, just doesn't appeal !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It was a real honest to goodness "steak" Pie, there was meat but I'm not sure of origin.
I usually just ask for whatever they have, but I was early and had a choice, and no queue. 

One question, do they not do Balti pies any more ? I'm sure they used to.

they do a chicken curry pie but it has potato in it, whereas the old Baltimore pie was just meat. It was ok, I just prefer the just meat version

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I can honestly say, in my 55 years of going to the Gate , I have never bought any food at the ground .If I feel hungry I'll get fish & chips from a proper chippy. Same with beer, I go to the pub. Sorry, just doesn't appeal !

I don`t think I ever have either. Used to get chips from either up by the Robins or the Willow Garden(?) on cold days or nowadays a Clark`s pie.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

The only bit of a scran I have from AG is the Jamaican goat curry.

Just a shame about the price. 

That’s the reason I decided not to buy anything inside AG. 

A few years back there used be two or three coffee jar shaped outlets around AG and my lad wanted a chocolate bar so I went to get one for him. All they had was Yorkie bars at a price that was almost twice that the same item was in the local shop. I reluctantly bought it for him and I reckon that was last time I bought anything inside AG. I felt completely ripped off.

Bought two Hot chocolates at half time.  Both nuclear hot and when we could eventually drink them we turned to each other and both said they were the worst hot chocolates we had ever tasted. Hardly any taste of chocolate and little or no milk. Suffice to say that is the last drink I buy in the ground. (also bought a coffee at one of the earlier home games. That too was nuclear hot and after burning my tongue I couldn't taste it anyway).

• Like 1

A few seasons ago I bought a pot of Bovril. It was scalding hot, but after reading the ingredients label I saw the first (largest) substance was salt. After that were other unnatural additives, so I realised I had bought a tub of boiling seawater with E numbers. I don't make that mistake again.

On the other hand, though, the food tastes much better after the game has finished - it's only a pound a go!

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Totally agree I've never bothered inside far cheaper elsewhere.

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Is this for real!? That’s an absolute shambles. 

Unless these kids really want to work on tills in other stadiums! 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/robins-foundation/education/post-16-courses/

It is for real Reg. Thomas bought home the prospectus.

Every kid has to stay in some form of education until they are 18 (apprenticeships, b-techs, college courses, A levels etc).

If you fail your GCSE Maths or English you have to keep on retaking them until you pass (in theory).

In the meantime loads of colleges/Academics have sprung up. Willing to take on the govt £4k per child pupil preminum teaching courses that are somewhat "interesting".

Learning E-Sports at Game by the gallery for 2 years?