IGNORED

Luxury Players

DaveInSA

8 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Do you think we're there again?

No, nowhere near.

I do remember when Odemwingie signed there was a lot of “meh” comments, but for me this was a player who had played at the top level, and boy did it show when I watched him play for us.  Top attitude too, once we were safe he said that if LJ wanted to play other players in prep for the next season that he didn’t mind standing aside.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

BCFC luxury players to my mind were Jacki, Andy Cole and possibly Louie Donowa. All floated around a lot and came up with the occasional spark of brilliance, None of them could be called 'team' players. Andy Cole in particular spent a large part of his Bristol City career standing in the centre circle waiting for the ball to come to him.

Andy Cole was an out and out striker, he scored 12 in 29 games in a not very good team, look how very average Bob Taylor was in that team, I think he scored 8 post promotion.... I don't think out and out strikers are luxury players, if they score! same could be said of Lineker, Defoe, Phillips, Greaves etc, they rarely strayed inside of their own half 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, nowhere near.

I do remember when Odemwingie signed there was a lot of “meh” comments, but for me this was a player who had played at the top level, and boy did it show when I watched him play for us.  Top attitude too, once we were safe he said that if LJ wanted to play other players in prep for the next season that he didn’t mind standing aside.

I think he bollocked Waggy for his FIFA Goal celebration..

?

• Like 1

I feel like "luxury" really just means doesn't put as much as a shift in or maybe has a bad attitude, but people like the player so want a nicer way of phrasing that. It's almost like people don't want their negative qualities to factor into their description, so luxury sounds better than the alternatives.

I often struggle to see what exactly makes them a luxury personally - in most other lines of work (and I'm sure we've all worked with a few who are good but don't pull their finger out, for example) they certainly don't get described as a luxury!

I'm not sure I'd personally say we have any luxury players in the entire squad currently - if they don't produce the goods AND don't put a shift in they're not a luxury player, they're just not good enough.

• Like 1