IGNORED

The day under SOD where we "turned the corner"

WolfOfWestStreet

41 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

And weren’t LO top or near it at the time, so actually not that bad a point.

Although appointing Cotts worked out ok…

I’m pretty sure Leyton Orient won their first 10 games that season, they were definitely top 3 when we played them.

Lost to Rotherham in the play offs and their decline started there. 

Edit: just checked, they won their first 8, drew the next two and won the following 2. Pretty much safe from relegation by the end of September. All before we’d won a single game.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, TomF said:

The SOD sacking was oddly timed, we’d almost hit the lowest ebb and started improving but then 2-3 weeks later he suddenly got the boot.   It was easily one of the lowest low points I can recall following City and that includes the Pulis and Osman eras 

Remember us scraping draws at home to the likes of Colchester & Shrewsbury under him with late equalisers in a very empty ground & thinking if we don’t change this then he’s taking us to League Two.

We won one of our first 12 League One games that season, it was ******* awful.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Not withstanding that we had started to improve and that SOD was charged with bringing down the wage bill and promoting the kids ,sound familiar ? .

The bloke was much maligned but I think a large part of the sacking was down to the fans not getting behind him or understanding his personality.

There were many personal attacks on him saying how ‘dour' and ‘ boring’ he was. In fact he was the first coach who engaged us as adults and in honesty about what the plan was and football in general. 

For me, although the results were terrible to start with , he tried very hard to do what Pearson is trying to do and even he is being criticised for his personality. :disapointed2se:

We have been down this route many times in the past , Benny Lennartsen , also springs to mind and the club never got to the bottom of the problems here and reforming coaches were moved on before we saw the benefits. Let’s hope we stick with NP to avoid the rinse / repeat failures of the past. 

Yes, but .....

.... Nige is doing it in the Championship. And keeping us Championship. 

McInnes and then SO'D were charged with starting this in the Championship, and took us down (sans une whimper), then SO'D continued everything (cutting the wages, losing games, taking us down) in League One.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I think, his assistant had it sussed what was going on at the club at the time.

I think he ended up at villa.

If anyone has got the press quote richard made at the time, he left, be nice to see.

He said something like the whole place is rotten and full of wrong uns.

He saw it coming before sod.

Richard O'Kelly did end up at Villa after returning to Walsall from us and then a spell at Brentford. He left Villa at the start of this season. 

Not sure about your suggested comments - they're somewhat different to what he said upon leaving. 

"The club is in a position now where, if the right decisions are made, it can only go one way. They are in good hands and I couldn't speak highly enough of the people I've worked with." 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/22478512.amp

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

He was right though.

First competitive Bristol Derby for 6 years after we’d lost the previous one. The ‘prize’ wasn’t a place in the 2nd round of the JPT. 

Even an emotionless robot like Sean O Driscoll understands the heightened emotions involved in a local derby, especially one that happens so rarely....he just chose to ignore that, like some of our fans do. 

On 26/11/2021 at 19:58, Lanterne Rouge said:

Wasn`t the story that SL returned from holiday to find everyone at the club celebrating a home draw with Leyton Orient and decided enough was enough?

Did the CEO run over to the fans and start punching the air after going missing for weeks after some dire results? ?

• Haha 1

On 27/11/2021 at 11:16, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes, but .....

.... Nige is doing it in the Championship. And keeping us Championship. 

McInnes and then SO'D were charged with starting this in the Championship, and took us down (sans une whimper), then SO'D continued everything (cutting the wages, losing games, taking us down) in League One.

I didn’t realise we were doing so well this season, last time I looked at the table we were not too far away from the relegation places! 

On 26/11/2021 at 21:51, GrahamC said:

Remember us scraping draws at home to the likes of Colchester & Shrewsbury under him with late equalisers in a very empty ground & thinking if we don’t change this then he’s taking us to League Two.

We won one of our first 12 League One games that season, it was ******* awful.

It was bloody awful and dull as ditchwater to watch 

I don’t know how and why I would go to games knowing what I was about to watch - and then SC the messiah reignited my love of football 

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Blimey, that's quite the fall from grace, there's quite a few ex league managers floating around in the conference. 

Brian Stock was someone we should have been after whilst he was getting dicked about at Preston iirc. Doncaster paid peanuts for him. 

He's 'relocated' to Dorset and found a local job in football with a mate. Not so much a fall from grace as a bit of interest in semi-retirement.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Calculus said:

He's 'relocated' to Dorset and found a local job in football with a mate. Not so much a fall from grace as a bit of interest in semi-retirement.

yes, possibly a better work-life balance? He might just want a new kind of challenge. 
good luck to him!

Edited by exAtyeoMax