IGNORED

Sheffield United away match day thread

Just now, Ivorguy said:

Seems to me a great deal of hysteria on Otib today.  We are not promotion material this season,despite some hyping it after Stoke win.  We are also not relegation material.  We have too much brio and too much talent for that.  1-0 away from home at ha.f time isn’t there d of the world, or the end of the afternoon eithet

Yeah but be honest we are being outplayed by a team in the bottom half. Hysteria is what it deserves

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Pearson is a miracle worker if he keeps this lot up.

Pretty average goalie

A functional but unexciting defence

A midfield most important area of the pitch full of young lads. Bakinson is so unconvincing for being the oldest one.

A slow and ageing strikeforce totalling agonising watching those two try and counter

This "lot" just got 4 points off of 2 teams in the top eight of the division.

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

Seems to me a great deal of hysteria on Otib today.  We are not promotion material this season,despite some hyping it after Stoke win.  We are also not relegation material.  We have too much brio and too much talent for that.  1-0 away from home at ha.f time isn’t there d of the world, or the end of the afternoon eithet

Of course we're relegarion material... You dont half talk some shite

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

I’ll say it again…

We’re so dead to watch. The only time we looked ever close to scoring was a Tomas Kalas throwing. And even then he can barely reach the box…

We just need some life about us. 

Well Martin had a great chance and had a close range header saved. That was during a period of the game where we go the ball in the final third quite often, but our attacking play just seems a bit make it up as you go along with mindless decision making.

Sheffield United 1 Shapeless Blob of Purple and Lime 0. Fail to plan and you plan to fail. Without James and Williams we have no glue to hold the midfield together. Scott is repeatedly out of position and McGoldrick is bullying Vyner. Bakinson needs a lifebelt in the centre. 

Changes needed. Replace Benarous with Atkinson and push Vyner into the centre. Bench Scott for Semenyo. 

Just before the goal, Kalas & Baker got switched and had plenty of time to re-set but didn’t. Hence Baker was central and Kalas on the left. 
Weimann then passes the ball way too late, causing a completely unnecessary offside. 
They then get forward and Scott only narrowly cuts out a pass that would’ve seen his man in behind him for the 3rd time this half. 
Vyner had, for some reason, come flying out to the midfield. 
Bakinson kinda just watches. 
Massengo makes no effort to cover in behind Bakinson. 
Kalas naturally comes across because he’s more familiar with being the central CB (see earlier comment where the whole shape first began to break down!). 
And finally, why the hell was Cod on the OUTSIDE of the man at the far post. He should be inside, goal side, and if he is, the gap between him and Kalas is narrower and he might have a chance of getting a block on the shot. 

Dreadful goal from the moment Weimann was breaking forward. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A poor 45 minutes from us, with far too many basic - even schoolboy - errors including being unable to keep the ball, win a 50:50 tackle, deny them space, realise that the ref will book you for dissent, etc.

Accordingly, we have allowed them to control the ball and the game and we are fortunate IMO it’s only 1-0.

Huge improvement needed by everyone in the second half if we we are going to get anything here, the next goal is crucial and other than Martin’s header we haven’t threatened their goal.

Our traveling fans deserve medals for enduring that journey, those conditions and that first half performance. 

• Like 1
Just now, Red Ferret said:

I'm not sure what sort of footballer Bakinson wants to be. He's sitting deep in midfield but is too slow/scared/apprehensive to chase the ball down and challenge. He looks lost 

If we had a replacement he'd have to come off. Instead he needs the hairdryer treatment.

Scott we should bring off if he can't get his game going.

Semenyo and Wells needed for something different but let's face it they both have the potential to come on and have zero impact.

Think we had a couple of nice pieces of play, and when we got 2-3 corners that built a bit of pressure but overall nothing doing really.

Pretty well been dominated- their pressing is much better than ours, as well as the obvious like shots and possession.

Scott is never a natural RWB- not his fault but he isn't. Young too- have a problem in the wide areas.

3 bookings...all pretty cheap. All for kicking the ball away? Should know better.

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I agree. But energy and press doesn’t depend on talent or experience, and this is the most conspicuous deficiency. Our midfield almost looks depressed!

• Like 1

WTF was that?!? Our front 2 are routinely 30 yards more forward than anyone else. When we win it back neither one of them drop deep to help link. Despite having everyone else behind the ball they are finding massive spaces to exploit. The ref is an absolute moron.

This team even gets a sniff of adversity they just shut down completely as footballer. I am done with the Weimann and Martin combo up front. Give me Conway and Semenyo all day. Idc if they have less than 5 goals combined at this level I am certain they’d offer more. I shudder to think what level Weimann would be playing at if he didn’t run like he does. Martin has ability but he is probably, if I am being nice, a L2 level athlete. 

Some serious adjustments need to be made at HT. Yes they are up for it with their new manager but on the couple times we ended up in their third I felt like they were shaky. We need to get more bodies in the box. COD or Scott need to be at the back post. Benarous and Massengo need to be making runs in there. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

bakinson so casual and jogging around all the time. 

in the press conference on Friday Bakinson seemed to say all the right things, but for me he was saying what he believed people wanted to hear, and not his proper beliefs and thoughts?    He states all the correct answers and tells us how he is improving and how his fitness is better and how intends to become a box to box player like his hero Patrick Viera?  But really nothing changes, and for all his promise, he will never cut it as a Championship player?  He needs shipping out IMHO.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, VT05763 said:

I would have started Wells and Semenyo up front today, if for no other reason than energy.

W’ve got to have some energy second half, someone to occupy their back players and try holding the ball up.

I get it. We are what we are at the minute, pretty dull, lack spark. But blimey are we crying out for some mobility and aggression up front. If you got to keep playing on the back foot all the time, you are going to crack most times.