IGNORED

Sheffield United away match day thread

7 minutes ago, David Brent said:

We were never going to have much of the ball today but our decision making was so poor when we did have it. Can’t think of many occasions where we made more than 5 successful passes in a row.

Yet all I see is people blaming Nigel

People will always hold the manager accountable. 

That can be harsh, if it's a one off bad day, but when a manager (any manager) has returned a 20% win ratio from 35 or so games - of course people are putting it at the managers door. 

Our last managerial failure won double the amount of games that NP has won and he also lost less games..! 

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

That can be harsh, if it's a one off bad day, but when a manager (any manager) has returned a 20% win ratio from 35 or so games - of course people are putting it at the managers door. 

Our last managerial failure won double the amount of games that NP has won and he also lost less games..! 

Precisely.

12 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Massengo seems really off his game at the moment!, he's quite obviously capable so hopefully his form turns around soon

I’m starting to wonder how good Massengo is. What does he actually do? When has he scored a goal or created a goal? What passing range has he got? Can he shoot? Does he look after the football? Does he dominate a midfield or even sink a few tackles? Scott has more effect on the game and he’s a kid.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You can hold him accountable all you like but if Mr Owner isn’t prepared to dip his hand in his pocket he won’t be replaced and that’s that.

Edited by Numero Uno
Just now, Numero Uno said:

You can hold him accountable all you like but I’d Mr Owner isn’t prepared to dip his hand in his pocket he won’t be replaced and that’s that.

He bails us out year after year. 

Pearson should be getting more than he is. Simple.

We look disorganised, with no game plan, style or tactics. 

The odd points we grind out are massively fortunate and can you really say the last time where we generally controlled most aspects in a game..? 

Our possession & passing stats are embarrassing..! 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I’m starting to wonder how good Massengo is. What does he actually do? When has he scored a goal or created a goal? What passing range has he got? Can he shoot? Does he look after the football? Does he dominate a midfield or even sink a few tackles? Scott has more effect on the game and he’s a kid.

100%.

Scott is a superior player 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

He bails us out year after year. 

Pearson should be getting more than he is. Simple.

We look disorganised, with no game plan, style or tactics. 

The odd points we grind out are massively fortunate and can you really say the last time where we generally controlled most aspects in a game..? 

Our possession & passing stats are embarrassing..! 

Bailing us out is different to paying gardening leave and the wages of yet another manager who he is setting up to fail. I suspect he’s had a guts full of paying gardening leave out of his own sky rocket. Whether you agree with that stance is irrelevant imo.

I don’t necessarily think the answer is what you think it is but I cannot disagree with you that we are shite, the football is shite and years of not enjoying matches and celebrating “shithousing” as a badge of honour are ruining my love for the game.

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

100%.

Scott is a superior player 

I was wondering whether I would be in a minority of one but you obviously see it the same?

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

A return to L1 will do us no favours

No one wants that but it hasn’t hurt a lot of clubs , today’s opposition included , to go down have a reset and on the back of promotion to the Championship ,with players used to winning , gone on to the Prem.

I believe Pearson knows what is needed and will get us there eventually. This club has been badly run for years and it’s not going to change overnight. 
I hope SL sticks with him and he sticks with us. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Bard said:

We lost 2-0 at Sheffield Utd.  Hardly a surprise was it?   The amount of bedwetting about it is amazing

Hardly a surprise ? as If that makes it all better, so that's all right then this acceptance of utter incompetence staggers me give it another 40 years let's see if you have the same attitude.   

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

We lost 2-0 at Sheffield Utd.  Hardly a surprise was it?   The amount of bedwetting about it is amazing

This ‘bed wetting’ thing is like the toddlers retort of ‘you smell’.  I imagine that you have progressed in literacy beyond pre-school, especially with a username of ‘bard’, unless of course that is ironic?  

That was another disappointing performance, whatever way you look at it. I didn’t see the whole game, so I might be accused of not having the right to comment, but for the 55 mins I did see, we didn’t look competitive today.   Such a shame after 3 half decent performances and the opportunity to build a bit of momentum and confidence.

It is worrying that we are so reliant on two key midfield players - one of whom seems to be unable to play more than two successive games.  Without either James or Williams, we seem to lose all ability to play in any kind of coherent way.   Massengo and Bakinson haven’t worked out to play together as yet and seem to make each other look like average players when they’re on the same pitch. Worse than that though is the bigger impact  on the team’s ability to do the basics.  

On a positive note, my kids’team had a good win today - I think I might have seen better football watching them play. 

Now, where were those clean sheets…

23 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

No one wants that but it hasn’t hurt a lot of clubs , today’s opposition included , to go down have a reset and on the back of promotion to the Championship ,with players used to winning , gone on to the Prem.

I believe Pearson knows what is needed and will get us there eventually. This club has been badly run for years and it’s not going to change overnight. 
I hope SL sticks with him and he sticks with us. 

Parts of this I don’t disagree with, Pearson has got to be given time to build a team with players that accept, appreciate and are capable to play in the way that he wants. My concern is that some of this lot are a soft as shite, and L1 is notoriously tough and difficult league to get up from. L1 promotion teams are rarely Championship challenging these days. L1 requires a total reboot, is the club ready to really embrace that?

2 hours ago, Red white and red said:

We get outplayed every game though. Can’t keep saying ‘on to the next one’. 

Everyone seems to have forgotten the 4 points against Stoke and Blackburn. My biggest gripe is that it should’ve been 6 points save a ridiculous individual error by Kalas.

If we ‘progressed’ every game would we not end up winning the league?

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Everyone seems to have forgotten the 4 points against Stoke and Blackburn. My biggest gripe is that it should’ve been 6 points save a ridiculous individual error by Kalas.

If we ‘progressed’ every game would we not end up winning the league?

It’s a fair point you make about progressing every game, it’s disappointing though that we weren’t able to maintain anywhere near the level of performance or intensity that we showed against a superior Stoke side on Wednesday. 

The thing I enjoyed most against Stoke was the commitment, effort, work-rate and performances of Scott and Benarous (and the 3 points!).

Today we were limp and passive. I don’t mind losing to a better side when we give our all but today we were so submissive, getting the basic fundamentals of football wrong.  

14 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

It’s a fair point you make about progressing every game, it’s disappointing though that we weren’t able to maintain anywhere near the level of performance or intensity that we showed against a superior Stoke side on Wednesday. 

The thing I enjoyed most against Stoke was the commitment, effort, work-rate and performances of Scott and Benarous (and the 3 points!).

Today we were limp and passive. I don’t mind losing to a better side when we give our all but today we were so submissive, getting the basic fundamentals of football wrong.  

Of course it’s disappointing mate, completely agree with  that, who in their right mind wants the club to get itself into such a financial pickle that it’s staring down the barrel of consecutive 50m loss seasons. That’s including the 12m saved over the summer!

Its no fun watching shit city teams, we’ve all seen them.

Ultimately I believe we have enough about us to stay up (as the last 3 home games showed) after that, who knows. As @Davefevs rightly points out, we are likely to breach FFP and who knows what happens then.

Edited by 054123
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, SouthS22 said:

This ‘bed wetting’ thing is like the toddlers retort of ‘you smell’.  I imagine that you have progressed in literacy beyond pre-school, especially with a username of ‘bard’, unless of course that is ironic?  

That was another disappointing performance, whatever way you look at it. I didn’t see the whole game, so I might be accused of not having the right to comment, but for the 55 mins I did see, we didn’t look competitive today.   Such a shame after 3 half decent performances and the opportunity to build a bit of momentum and confidence.

It is worrying that we are so reliant on two key midfield players - one of whom seems to be unable to play more than two successive games.  Without either James or Williams, we sGroweem to lose all ability to play in any kind of coherent way.   Massengo and Bakinson haven’t worked out to play together as yet and seem to make each other look like average players when they’re on the same pitch. Worse than that though is the bigger impact  on the team’s ability to do the basics.  

On a positive note, my kids’team had a good win today - I think I might have seen better football watching them play. 

Now, where were those clean sheets…

FFS.  My point was that we are not realistically in a position to expect to win at Sheff U.  It wasn't a good performance obviously but the overreaction on this forum after every defeat is ludicrous and frankly embarrassing.  There's nothing wrong with being critical but large numbers of people have no perspective.  

Do you actually think I consider myself to be some kind of literary giant?  Of course I don't.  I'm on a flipping football forum same as you.  

• Like 2
5 hours ago, maxjak said:

If I could bet on Baker spending more time in the treatment room than the pitch throughout any season.....I would be a rich man?   Seriously what is the point of Baker?  If he hardly ever plays?

Very poor post and utterly clueless - Bakes played in every game bar two this season up until his serious injury at WBA - and one of those he was on the bench. Then three matches later after he’d recovered he was straight back into the team and stayed there - today’s injury was another serious one - you obviously don’t know how long he was given treatment on the pitch - so you thought you’d post a lazy, ill informed and presumptuous load of guff 

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Very poor post and utterly clueless - Bakes played in every game bar two this season up until his serious injury at WBA - and one of those he was on the bench. Then three matches later after he’d recovered he was straight back into the team and stayed there - today’s injury was another serious one - you obviously don’t know how long he was given treatment on the pitch - so you thought you’d post a lazy, ill informed and presumptuous load of guff 

Your very late to the diss Maxjak party...I have made my apologies elsewhere on the site for my hasty mistake...........so why don't you F Off and Troll someone else?

Edited by maxjak
6 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I remember Owls fans stranded in the ground at HT during a Blizzard at AG years ago

I remember that - December 1990 - Ron Atkinson was their manager and for us it was Martin Scott’s debut - I clearly recall the hushed silence that fell over the Owls’ usual superb away following when it was announced over the tannoy that the M32, M4, M5 and M1 were all shut due to the weather - and City fans just laughing at the announcement wouldn’t have helped their mood - the Sheffield Wednesday squad had to check into a Bristol hotel that night as they couldn’t get home and a fair few Owls’ fans headed straight to Weston super Mare to seek solace at being marooned in the West Country ??

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Your very late to the diss Maxjak party...I have made my apologies elsewhere on the site for my hasty mistake...........so why don't you F Off and Troll someone else?

Childish and pathetic as always - I’ve only just logged in so forgive me for not devoting hours catching up on loads of posts featuring other posters picking you up on the guff you posted - I read your initial post and decided to reply - that’s the function of a forum - it certainly doesn’t warrant your response ... no worries, I’m off to converse with adults now ...

3 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

From my Sheff Utd supporting mate:

"I will say I expected better, your marking was poor & you gave us the time space that we needed. Also, what was with the "dark arts" wasn't it 4 players booked for knocking the ball away?"

I agree they were stupid bookings. After Bentley was booked Callum and Martin should be old and wise enough not to do exactly the same thing. The three of them put themselves needlessly on a booking and with this Ref they could have been heading for the dressing room. Small margins of error, didn’t cost us the game but why give the opposition a helping hand.

• Like 1

I think some people are letting themselves get too enraged. I know I foolishly anticipated that we would steal a draw, but hey, Wells only had to square the ball and we had a different game.

We were outplayed by a better squad of players. We quite clearly were going to struggle without any fit senior midfielders and it was very brave for us to give players like Scott and Benarous the opportunity. But it might pay off in the long run as they learn more lessons.

The weather was atrocious, the referee was appalling and our players weren't at their best. But let's not get too upset. These games will happen. If we reach 25+ points before Christmas then we are well on track to avoid a dogfight. 

Edited by mozo
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, mozo said:

I think some people are letting themselves get too enraged. I know I foolishly anticipated that we would steal a draw, but hey, Wells only had to square the ball and we had a different game.

We were outplayed by a better squad of players. We quite clearly were going to struggle without any fit senior midfielders and it was very brave for us to give players like Scott and Benarous the opportunity. But it might pay off in the long run as they learn more lessons.

The weather was atrocious, the referee was appalling and our players weren't at their best. But let's not get too upset. These games will happen. If we reach 25+ points before Christmas then we are well on track to avoid a dogfight. 

I am totally in the same camp as you BUT I do understand people who look at the performances of our players sometimes, like Bakinson's atrocious "effort" yesterday, only days after getting a contract extension, and think "what a bunch of obnoxious, carefree, selfish, largely uncommitted and just simply dislikeable shithouses many of them are". You've got the likes of Baker on one hand who probably gives too much to get a result to the detriment of his own future health and then you look further up the pitch and up pops our "marquee Centre Forward signing" - a stupidly overpaid, absolute stinking shithouse who couldn't even put the team first and execute the most simple of passes yesterday when it counted. I really am hoping that Nige sorts the scumbags in our squad out and there are still way too many of them for my liking but if he is doing that there are very few obvious signs and it seems to be a very slow process. January will literally define our medium term future imo.

• Like 1