IGNORED

Nathan Baker

Eddie Notgetinya

As I said on the match thread, his arms being suspended up in that weird position is a well known involuntary response (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing_response) to a potentially serious injury which is why the medical teams were on so quickly. He will almost certainly be concussed.

You can see the challenge/injury and the weird arm thing here if you care to: https://streamja.com/lWqG4

Really hope it's not that bad, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was out for a while. Feel for the guy.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 6

Baker was standing on the touchline from Bentley's kick. You could see as it was happening that he never once scanned in-field to read the play. Didn't have a clue where he was launching himself.

Love Baker's commitment and wish him well recovery, but is that play to be applauded? Admirable defender but frustrated that it seemed totally self inflicted and avoidable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, IAmNick said:

As I said on the match thread, his arms being suspended up in that weird position is a well known involuntary response (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing_response) to a potentially serious injury which is why the medical teams were on so quickly. He will almost certainly be concussed.

You can see the challenge/injury and the weird arm thing here if you care to: https://streamja.com/lWqG4

Really hope it's not that bad, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was out for a while. Feel for the guy.

Think he might have got caught by the defenders swinging (unintentionally) left arm as his head went past him.

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You may be right, just move it on a few frames and you get this:

image.thumb.png.0e751a3ac3b2b532b32d2574ae4672ed.png

Ah yes. I didn’t see that bit. 

Edit. Actually I dunno. Watching it again I reckon he’s already ‘out’ after heading the shoulder. His head goes backwards at that point. 

Edited by Harry

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ah yes. I didn’t see that bit. 

Edit. Actually I dunno. Watching it again I reckon he’s already ‘out’ after heading the shoulder. His head goes backwards at that point. 

At least he’s ok.  I’m sure he will be out this Saturday though v Derby.

I know giving Baker stick got a lot of criticism on the MDT, but there are questions that need to be asked…

Is Baker braver than the rest and goes in for the dangerous ones, or does he have a glass chin/body? I’ve genuinely never known anything like it - especially in the position that’s made for the toughest players. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I know giving Baker stick got a lot of criticism on the MDT, but there are questions that need to be asked…

Is Baker braver than the rest and goes in for the dangerous ones, or does he have a glass chin/body? I’ve genuinely never known anything like it - especially in the position that’s made for the toughest players. 

I’d never ever criticise someone for getting concussed. And I wish him well. 
However, I’ve been very clear in the past that I would never have given him a new contract. 
Whatever the injury may be, he’s been proven over his time at the club that he does miss far too many games (or indeed have to be substituted injured in far too many games). 
And I’m sure the money (which apparently is too tight to mention) could have been better spent elsewhere. 

He’s without doubt our best defender when he’s fit. But I wouldn’t have re-hired someone with such a poor availability record. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

We've had other centre backs who throw their heads or bodies at everything and get knocks. Never known any other centre back go off injured much at all over the years.

I was surprised and a bit disappointed we brought Baker back to be honest.

I think this season that is started and completed 7, come off injured in 5 so far.

That’s quite incredible. 

I don’t think the summer recruitment was an easy one.  Little money available for fees or wages.  Off the back of a crap end to the season.  Genuine fear that you couldn’t make a single wrong recruit.

There were obvious reasons to not re-sign Baker, but I think there were good reasons to sign him too.

Jon - we’ve discussed Tom Lees.  I don’t think we touched on location though….that’s another thing that works against us.

I think it was difficult to sign a “sure thing”, so I do think it had an element of compromise in it, better the devil you know (especially with knowing Atkinson was gonna be new to Champ football). And up until the concussion v WBA it had looked a pretty good signing.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

All the other championship clubs that brought in centre backs were not thinking we can't cope without Nathan Baker. So I'm not sure why we had to bring him back here.

I didn’t say we had to bring him back.  We struck a good deal to bring back a very capable Champ CB, albeit one with injuries issues.  I’m just giving you some reason why we might have decided to re-sign him.  We initially let him go….we might’ve missed out on other targets.  I don’t know.  It’s not binary.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

All the other championship clubs that brought in centre backs were not thinking we can't cope without Nathan Baker. So I'm not sure why we had to bring him back here.

Without NB we would be one CB less, and Cundy appears to be still unavailable.

Atkinson has been injured recently and TM is on loan to Hearts so, unless I am mistaken, that leaves us with just Kalas and Viner.

What would we do in the event of another injury?

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think the summer recruitment was an easy one.  Little money available for fees or wages.  Off the back of a crap end to the season.  Genuine fear that you couldn’t make a single wrong recruit.

There were obvious reasons to not re-sign Baker, but I think there were good reasons to sign him too.

Jon - we’ve discussed Tom Lees.  I don’t think we touched on location though….that’s another thing that works against us.

I think it was difficult to sign a “sure thing”, so I do think it had an element of compromise in it, better the devil you know (especially with knowing Atkinson was gonna be new to Champ football). And up until the concussion v WBA it had looked a pretty good signing.

As I’ve always said Dave, it comes back to the piss-poor recruitment team. 
We ended up having to re-hire Baker because they didn’t have a effing clue for any alternatives. 
He should never have returned based on a ‘better the devil you know’ philosophy. We should already have known he was leaving back half way through last season and been planning his replacement. 
They don’t have a bloody clue!! 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Just now, JonDolman said:

I would have brought in a different centre back in the first place

Who?

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

As I’ve always said Dave, it comes back to the piss-poor recruitment team. 
We ended up having to re-hire Baker because they didn’t have a effing clue for any alternatives. 
He should never have returned based on a ‘better the devil you know’ philosophy. We should already have known he was leaving back half way through last season and been planning his replacement. 
They don’t have a bloody clue!! 

I think Nige will now know whether recruitment is up to scratch or not.  We will find out in January.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Who?

I think Nige will now know whether recruitment is up to scratch or not.  We will find out in January.

If he hasn't worked it out by now then I'd be concerned! 

Edited by ZiderEyed
double post
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

If he hasn't worked it out by now then I'd be concerned! 

Your mate still working at a club?

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

A number of championship clubs have brought in loan players to play centre back. Or Lees and Pearson signed for free by Huddersfield. Sonny Bradley is hardly great but he was free and a possible signing.

Really like Harry says, the recruitment should know better than me or anyone else does on here.

Yes, would be interesting to know how far the net was cast wouldn’t it?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Henry said:

What happened to Cundy? He seems to have vanished

Saw him on Wednesday at AG. Just chatting to some mates, but there on his City tracksuit.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Or was Baker his first choice

We will never know.  My guess would be “no”.  The fact that he actually was let go, unlike Weimann and Simpson who were specifically noted as contracts offered.

Edited by Davefevs

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Your mate still working at a club?

Yes, would be interesting to know how far the net was cast wouldn’t it?

A running joke supposedly. 

Tenuously associated with a 'recruitment agency' via an academic institution nowadays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I would have brought in a different centre back in the first place

Hindsight is a wonderful ability.

Not so many years ago, we had an absolutely fantastic (in my opinion) centre back playing for us on loan.

He was a young man, far away from home, lonely, bored and, apparently, with no helpful, comforting hand given to him by the club, was led astray.

I wonder whether, if we had made just a little more effort at the time, we might have a top class player in our team, a player in his peak playing years, one Stephen Caulker.

• Like 2