IGNORED

Bakinson Contract Renewal - Symptoms of the problem.

MelksRed

He does have the ability to pick a pass but today was never going to be easy for him to do that. He's still a young and relatively inexperienced player so you will get inconsistency in his performances.

My issue with him is the amount of 50/50's he doesn't even attempt to win, even when it's 60/40 in his favour we won't even put his foot in for which is unforgivable at this level.

I don't think NP had much choice today with James, Williams and King unavailable but he's not really trying 5o make the shirt his own.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Another to add to the conspiracy theory perhaps he was told, right, here’s an opportunity -TV and all that - to put him in the shop window. Perhaps, he’s just not got the mental strength to perform when under any sort of pressure. So, yes, the strategy backfired for the Club badly.

An even more outlandish conspiracy is that Big Nige and his coaching team actually wants him to play in the first team consistently, that they believe he’ll be an appreciating asset and prove value for money over the next 6-12 months.

WOW !!!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Financial constraints maje that very difficult.

That is fair but he knew that coming in.

It is unfortunate that we are experiencing a high number of injury problems once again, despite the turn over in personnel in that department. 

Of course nearly all injuries cannot be predicted and there is merit in stating that Williams was "damaged" by the previous set up but maybe signing older players (with injury histories) was a gamble too far whilst running with such a wafer thin squad.

Hopefully James will be back for Saturday !! 

Maybe Vyner is an option in midfield if we have nothing else ?

We are for sure low on numbers but I saw enough in the last 3 home games to believe we have enough to stay up if those performances are replicated.

As you know I am not convinced by the new coaching set up but strangely even after today I am more optimistic of a turn around than I was a month ago.

I am going on Saturday and on many levels I feel that is a crucial game.

14 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

That is fair but he knew that coming in.

he did indeed, and he accepted.  Others may not have.  Allegedly we saw that summer 2020 with Hughton….and we ate in a far worse financial state when we undertaking our “vigorous” (anything but vigorous) manager recruitment.  That’s isn’t a dig at Holden btw.

It is unfortunate that we are experiencing a high number of injury problems once again, despite the turn over in personnel in that department.

the encouraging sign (in a shot sandwich) is that we aren’t seeing long-term injuries like last season, mainly short-term ones.

Of course nearly all injuries cannot be predicted and there is merit in stating that Williams was "damaged" by the previous set up but maybe signing older players (with injury histories) was a gamble too far whilst running with such a wafer thin squad.

my view is that the finances dictate we had little choice than to operate with a trimmer squad.  When 20/21’s accounts come out I may be able to quantify if that was genuinely a constraint or an excuse.

Hopefully James will be back for Saturday !!

Hopefully.  We all feared a midfield of Bakinson, Massengo, Benarous today didn’t we?  Wasn’t much by way of other options, other than completely re-jigging the system, which would pre-game seemed to give us less chance of a result.  I would love to have rested Williams on Wednesday, but if that was the difference between 3 points and 1 or 0 pts, I actually think it was worth it.  The home results monkey has been lifted, the crowd will be behind us on Saturday v Derby, regardless of today I thought it was massively important to get another win so soon after Barnsley when we got the result but not the performance.  Derby aren’t a bad side, they still have good players, even if an old team.

Maybe Vyner is an option in midfield if we have nothing else ?

With Baker now out, if we want to do that, Pring would probably need to come in at LCB to maintain the back 3?

We are for sure low on numbers but I saw enough in the last 3 home games to believe we have enough to stay up if those performances are replicated.

Absolutely, my view is that it is incorrect to expect performances to be replicated each game.  We are gonna be so up and down this season….maybe January gives us a re-set?

As you know I am not convinced by the new coaching set up but strangely even after today I am more optimistic of a turn around than I was a month ago.

I am going on Saturday and on many levels I feel that is a crucial game.

I’m out for my dad’s 80th birthday meal.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

1 hour ago, P'head Red said:

Hilarious. One of the most gifted players at the club. Yes, he needs to improve with his goal contributions, but he's one we need to keep and improve ourselves, not let go for free. 

On what basis are you making this claim - we all see it differently but i cannot believe based on this season’s performance he would regularly play for any of the top sides he simply does nothing brilliantly?

6 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

On what basis are you making this claim - we all see it differently but i cannot believe based on this season’s performance he would regularly play for any of the top sides he simply does nothing brilliantly?

I agree.  But I do think he’s good enough to be part of a squad in a bottom half Championship side.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree.  But I do think he’s good enough to be part of a squad in a bottom half Championship side.

Agree 100%. And that’s why unfortunately I don’t think we should worry about his contract ending in 2023 - per previous post. I think we need players who could get in a top side or show consistent progression towards this.

Perhaps it’s the managerial merry go round that has affected him at a young age but poor Han is looking less impactful as the games go by.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We keep commenting that in 10 seconds he can look top end championship and a League 2 try hard. For me that doesn't equal out to bottom half championship at the moment.

Another way of looking at it is that he needs Williams alongside him to be effective but no one seems to need Backinson to be effective unless I'm missing something.

3 hours ago, Spoonbed said:

In my 40 years of supporting City, I’m struggling to think of a more inept midfield display. Absolutely useless with, and (more importantly) without the ball. A total passenger. 
Not fit to lace the boots of Pennyfather, Dinning, Carl Hutchins etc!

I understand that Tony Dinning played (if that's the right word) in carpet slippers.

Bakinson in away games just doesn’t make the grade. We need fighters in that midfield.
God we miss Korey and others.
Said it on here on many occasions, we are a soft touch against physical teams that pressurise. And Bakinson does not like that style of opposition.  Obvious to most on here.
Maybe on the bench in away games for me.

Confident NP will sort it but he has limited resources to work with currently. Look at that midfield today.

Edited by Tin Soldier

55 minutes ago, Pezo said:

We keep commenting that in 10 seconds he can look top end championship and a League 2 try hard. For me that doesn't equal out to bottom half championship at the moment.

Another way of looking at it is that he needs Williams alongside him to be effective but no one seems to need Backinson to be effective unless I'm missing something.

I don’t disagree.  I don’t think he’d be a starter if others were fit.  But I guess you could say that if Williams and James were in there with him, he might look better too.

I think we are seeing the lack of depth in our squad.

But as per my earlier post, exercising the option of a player the manager might think could do a good job for us is a sensible decision than letting him walk for free next summer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MelksRed said:

Can someone please explain what Bakinson brings to this team?

He constantly loses the ball, never looks like he's busting a gut to get anywhere, often looks weak and feeble and is crap at marking (noting he was 2 yards from his man and didn't attempt to close on the edge of the box this afternoon for the goal).

Is this synptomatic if the issue?  Should we have renewed his contract or just paid him off to get rid? He is not creative in midfield. Seemingly we are too content to accept the status quo and are conflict avoidant. Time we had some minerals and started culling the driftwood.

I've nothing against Bakinson as a person, just frustrated by his seemingly un-engaged, inconsistent and often incoherent input.

Thoughts?

Was crap again today first ten minutes was in another world left his man couldnt be bothered to track back cant keep all this dead wood him odowda need weading out enough is enough .

Bakinson should only ever be played when 3-0 up at home, cruising, with 10 minutes to go. Same applies to KP, though in his case I'd make it 9 mins to the final whistle.

City's problem?  Despite Johnson & Ashton's gargantuan Carousel of Crap we have little to replace them and sod all wriggle room financially.

Well this thread was as predictable as Billy Sharp scoring against us, usual suspects cant wait to say look mummy I was right Bakinson had a poor game as the latest jump on the bandwagon scapegoat. 

I will agree he had a poor game, but to be singled out when we had due to injuries our youngest most inexperienced midfield playing against ex prem players, where our whole midfield was very poor just about sums up OTIB

• Like 3

This thread is embarrassing.    The man has weaknesses obviously and he had a very poor game on Sunday.  However, he clearly has something to offer just as Massengo does.  The reaction to Massengo's bad games is silence whereas Bakinson gets nothing but derision.  The only reason being their build and how they look when they run.  Bakinson is lanky, slow to turn and unable to sprint whereas Massengo is smaller and it is a lot easier for him to get around.  Bakinson can shoot and spot a pass, which I've yet to see Massengo do but Massengo is busy with a trick. 

Which one has scored goals and assisted for us???  

• Like 3