IGNORED

Nigel hints at shirkers in the club, but who ?

Major Isewater

6 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Palmer got offered a contract and signed it, turns up for work every day, trains with the others and is not selected to play, scores the equaliser versus Fulham when he does come on. Offers to and does play for the U23s to help get match sharp.

The manager is choosing not use this £20 grand a week asset, that is his choice and he has his reasons but unless there are disciplinary issues involved then lets not have bleating of players enjoying their wages. I expect KP is disheartened, upset and annoyed at not getting a game. Just my opinion.

It's fair to point out that it isn't Kasey Palmer's fault that he's on a massive wage here (it's Mark Ashton's fault).

However, I have zero sympathy for him not getting game time. It's clear that he's the issue - similar things have happened with almost every manager Palmer has played under. If he's disheartened, upset or annoyed, then it's time for him to finally take responsibility and at least attempt to address the issues that multiple managers have surely made clear to him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

An awful lot of fans are shirking and setting a bad example to the players!

Yeah those lazy good for nothing 665 who had the gall to travel to Sheffield on a cold windy Sunday morning......... should be setting more of an example to our poor underpaid squad?  Damn Right

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

It's fair to point out that it isn't Kasey Palmer's fault that he's on a massive wage here (it's Mark Ashton's fault).

However, I have zero sympathy for him not getting game time. It's clear that he's the issue - similar things have happened with almost every manager Palmer has played under. If he's disheartened, upset or annoyed, then it's time for him to finally take responsibility and at least attempt to address the issues that multiple managers have surely made clear to him. 

That's fine, don't play him and don't bleat about his wages is all I would say.

I think many forget the clamour on this site for instance from fans for us to sign KP, embarrassing at times.

51 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It would be very interesting to be a spy at training to see what certain players do, or don’t do. Players, such as Palmer and Dasilva, are obviously out of favour for a reason.  With Palmer I can understand this, to a degree, as he’s had chances and hasn’t taken them but when things are as bad as some of the recent games he must be really on the naughty step to not even make the bench.  

Nigel has the hard man manager image, which works given time when he can bring in his own players, but perhaps he could do something to bring the outcasts back into the fold? 

He had a hard man image. But in reality he seems  a soft touch. Can you imagine some of the players who bottled it  today going in to see Joe Jordan after playing like that. It seems the players have no concerns about Pearson or his reaction when they put no effort or commitment in to a game.

• Like 1

Palmer has had a few mentions, including from me, about his effort and salary but perhaps it’s not his fault. It might be just that he’s a good League 1 player who has the odd flashes of brilliance. These bit of brilliance bamboozle  managers and scouts who offer him lucrative contracts. It’s not his fault he signs on the dotted line. I would if someone offered me £20 k per week 

1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

He had a hard man image. But in reality he seems  a soft touch. Can you imagine some of the players who bottled it  today going in to see Joe Jordan after playing like that. It seems the players have no concerns about Pearson or his reaction when they put no effort or commitment in to a game.

Or more worryingly has it worn off and left him with know where to go.

Or perhaps NP is too nice behind the scenes. 

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Palmer has had a few mentions, including from me, about his effort and salary but perhaps it’s not his fault. It might be just that he’s a good League 1 player who has the odd flashes of brilliance. These bit of brilliance bamboozle  managers and scouts who offer him lucrative contracts. It’s not his fault he signs on the dotted line. I would if someone offered me £20 k per week 

Quite.

1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

But he has said in the media that he has told these players. Why do you think he made that comment to the media? If it’s obvious who he was talking about, which it seemingly is, is that any different to calling them out? Is it not worse for the collective? Does his comments about ‘ players not doing what we have worked on ‘ deflect from himself? Would these comments of been picked up on a lot quicker if they were said by another manager? COYR 

Typically LJ named players in a post-match interview.  That’s what I mean.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Interesting end to his interview saying that certain players need to play through injury niggles but certain lack ‘ moral fibre’ to do so.

Who is shirking?

Which interview was this?  Didn’t hear it on BBCRB and the club one was more about players being ready.  What was the quote Major?

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Which interview was this?  Didn’t hear it on BBCRB and the club one was more about players being ready.  What was the quote Major?

It was on the club post match , right at the very end of the interview he spoke of players not wanting to play when less than a hundred per cent and spoke of ‘ moral fibre’. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Personally I would rather he did name the players. So would the squad I would think.

Not keen on the "mystery" bad egg(s) approach, not sure how that nurtures a good, positive team spirit.

Could be difficult to gain respect in that scenario.

IMO,

15 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It was on the club post match , right at the very end of the interview he spoke of players not wanting to play when less than a hundred per cent and spoke of ‘ moral fibre’. 

Ta, listened twice and missed it…third time I heard it.  Must clean my ears out.

2 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Personally I would rather he did name the players. So would the squad I would think.

Not keen on the "mystery" bad egg(s) approach, not sure how that nurtures a good, positive team spirit.

Could be difficult to gain respect in that scenario.

IMO,

I'm sure they all know.

It's difficult enough moving players on without advertising the fact they have no fight in them.

Makes it more difficult for the player you want to move, move.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ta, listened twice and missed it…third time I heard it.  Must clean my ears out.

I actually thought that was his best post match interview yet.

Worrying than he intimated that there are players "refusing" to play with minor injuries or did I misunderstand that bit ?

2 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

I actually thought that was his best post match interview yet.

Worrying than he intimated that there are players "refusing" to play with minor injuries or did I misunderstand that bit ?

Think it was more about when out of form, but I can’t listen again ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think it was more about when out of form, but I can’t listen again ?

"There are players out there who need to be prepared to play even if they are not at their very best" - You could be right

"It is a test of moral fibre".- This feels more of the injury bit.

To be fair it could be either or a mix of both.

Thought it was a decent interview though.

Getting slightly bored of him saying this sorta stuff after losses tbh.

In the last 3/4 losses it’s been: people on or off the bus…..Downing and Simpson go and then he said retrospectively he also meant coaches. Few weeks later he throws out of nowhere that players aren’t buying into his way, so be will do all he can to get them out the door (but he will still play them….), and now today players need to play through niggles, and also need to adjust to games better when they come on (after being banished from games for no real reason…aka Atkinson). 

Needs to focus on getting players to string decent back to back performances together and get them focused to kick a ball in a straight line 5 yards ahead of them, rather than repeatedly throw out cryptic messages in pressers. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Getting slightly bored of him saying this sorta stuff after losses tbh.

In the last 3/4 losses it’s been: people on or off the bus…..Downing and Simpson go and then he said retrospectively he also meant coaches. Few weeks later he throws out of nowhere that players aren’t buying into his way, so be will do all he can to get them out the door (but he will still play them….), and now today players need to play through niggles, and also need to adjust to games better when they come on (after being banished from games for no real reason…aka Atkinson). 

Needs to focus on getting players to string decent back to back performances together and get them focused to kick a ball in a straight line 5 yards ahead of them, rather than repeatedly throw out cryptic messages in pressers. 

I thought it was good because he didn't bring up the "bus" nonsense (low bar I know) and he did seem genuinely thoughtful.

Possibly spoilt it though with the perhaps cryptic "play through injuries" inference at the end.

But I do have sympathies with much of your comment here.

Am also fairly sure that Simpson and Downing asked to be released from their contracts, I am happy to be corrected.

Edited by VT05763

41 minutes ago, Gratz260689 said:

Martin got to be one he has been awful for weeks, with the success we have had out the young lads how Britton so t starting ahead of him is beyond me!! 

If you think Martin is a shirker, you're certifiable.

Nothing to do with whether we think he's any good or not, the thread title refers to players not putting 100% in.

As I say, if you think that applies to Martin, you're insane. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If you think Martin is a shirker, you're certifiable.

Nothing to do with whether we think he's any good or not, the thread title refers to players not putting 100% in.

As I say, if you think that applies to Martin, you're insane. 

Certainly not a good judge of what constitutes effort in a footballer.

24 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

"There are players out there who need to be prepared to play even if they are not at their very best" - You could be right

"It is a test of moral fibre".- This feels more of the injury bit.

To be fair it could be either or a mix of both.

Thought it was a decent interview though.

Pearson chooses his words very carefully and I don't see how a test of "moral fibre" refers to playing with an injury. Far more likely he is referring to players that are very likely to be leaving in January/the summer still putting a shift in when needed. 

I remember LJ criticising some of our players for not being committed to playing when only carrying minor knocks.

Allegedly, of course, Marley Watkins was booted out of the club by Pearson in record time for ruling himself out "injured", when he was nothing of the sort. So I assume that particularly issue at Bristol City cosy club has been sorted... 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

He did not say anything about playing through injuries. Nothing of the sort. You should have understood by now how they are trying to manage injuries and they will not play anyone who is not deemed fit enough. He was talking about players who are not on form and wanting them to play through that. 

Yep, pretty obvious really & he has said in recent interviews that he knows both Han Noah & Rob Atkinson have been struggling form wise.

Some of the over reaction & jumping to conclusions on here is simply mind boggling.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, pretty obvious really & he has said in recent interviews that he knows both Han Noah & Rob Atkinson have been struggling form wise.

Some of the over reaction & jumping to conclusions on here is simply mind boggling.

Ok,some of us are having to post when we are not at our best but we are prepared to do so, it’s a question  of moral fibre.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Amazing! Players who don't want to cripple themselves playing injured are accused of 'lacking' 

It seems the manager has lost it if he wants to play ' damaged goods' because he's fallen out with everyone else

Astounding thing to say, he must go. 

I seem to remember the equally useless Jurgen Klopp aiming the same criticism at Sturridge. Perhaps he should have been sacked, too.

11 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Just so everyone is aware - I’m 90% sure this is ‘RalphMilnesLeftFoot’ who was staunchly anti-Pearson and seemingly quit the forum a few weeks ago. Not worth replying to.

look at the screen name: TafkaRMLF" = "The artist formerly known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot" (Prince fans will recognise this trick)

Edited by SecretSam
Horrific grammar error
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2