IGNORED

4 points from last 3 games

Shuffle

Come on be honest who would have been happy with that after the Coventry game as I certainly didn’t expect 4 points. I’m not happy with today or performances but I honestly didn’t expect anything with the midfield decimated with injury.  Real test is the next 3 games against 2 inform teams & a rejuvenated Huddersfield where we need to pick up more points but if we have the same midfield, we will struggle. Fail to pick up minimum of 4 and not sure where that leaves Pearson.

Just trying to find a positive amongst the mess our club finds itself in !

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shuffle said:

Come on be honest who would have been happy with that after the Coventry game as I certainly didn’t expect 4 points. I’m not happy with today or performances but I honestly didn’t expect anything with the midfield decimated with injury.  Real test is the next 3 games against 2 inform teams & a rejuvenated Huddersfield where we need to pick up more points but if we have the same midfield, we will struggle. Fail to pick up minimum of 4 and not sure where that leaves Pearson.

Picked a very good day to be elsewhere so didn’t watch it, but you’re spot on.

Some are going to post “Pearson out” after every single defeat but the 2 games before today saw decent performances & a good points return.

We only play once a week until Xmas now so hopefully can get James, King & Tanner back to add depth as realistically Baker & Williams aren’t going to be available.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Picked a very good day to be elsewhere so didn’t watch it, but you’re spot on.

Some are going to post “Pearson out” after every single defeat but the 2 games before today saw decent performances & a good points return.

We only play once a week until Xmas now so hopefully can get James, King & Tanner back to add depth as realistically Baker & Williams aren’t going to be available.

Decent performances hahahahahah

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So you don’t think we played well v Stoke?

First half v Blackburn? Seriously?

Through nothing to do with us we weren’t 3-0 down against Stoke after 15 mins. We didn’t play well against Stoke. We played better than normal, which says a lot. 

3 hours ago, Shuffle said:

I just think everyone is tired of 35% possession with 65% pass accuracy. Every. Single. Game

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So you don’t think we played well v Stoke?

First half v Blackburn? Seriously?

I don't think we played well v Stoke. We put effort in but we weren't great. But I'll take the win. I thought we were better v Blackburn even with them dominating second half possession. And I thought both performances were much better than what we produced v The Blades though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Should have lost against Stoke for sure. They had a number of sitters. We had one sitter that was the goal. 

Blackburn I was much more impressed with first half. We bullied a young team. 2nd half we looked clueless in attacking areas with Ayala brought on and easily dealing with any physical threat in our attack. People were saying we were sitting back, I actually thought we had the ball in their half in decent areas a number of times at 1-0.

We looked mainly quite comfortable defensively but you need to give the opposition something to worry about up the other end. They were likely to get a chance at some point and they took it.

We then had a chance near the end but we also looked more open as we went for a winner and so more vulnerable at the back.

Blackburn game was probably the best performance since Cardiff! Maybe Peterborough was slightly better in that we caused them problems over 90 minutes but up against a worse side with not a lot up front.

It's not good is it. I feel lucky not to be much closer or even in the bottom 3 at the moment.

The thing is that this division is very tight, and very few teams dominate others. We have had matches where we should have won and didn’t so we have to take the reverse equally and enjoy it. 
I think we just need to hang in and scrape some results whilst the youngsters develop and NP brings in his own players and staff . 
This season, as has been said a multitude of times, is one of survival whilst Nige sorts out the huge mess left from the past. It’s not going to happen overnight and we need to get behind this imperfect team to help us towards enough results to buy us time. 

• Like 2

Still think there is view that poor results and performances are because we don’t play “nice football”….and that if we did play nice football it would all be ok.  There is absolutely no guarantee.  And when I watch teams like Peterborough playing pretty stuff and losing, I’m grateful for our pragmatism.  Should I be comparing us to them?  Absolutely not, but it’s kinda where we’ve slumped to, hard to admit it I’m afraid.

We are seeing a team that when not at near full-strength is not that great.  It doesn’t matter what style we play, we lack quality.  It’s gonna take time.  I don’t think many are prepared to be patient.  I hear / read lots of fans saying we are a bottom six side, some say a relegation team, yet aren’t prepared to accept performance and / or results that match that evaluation.

Funnily enough, I think we are better than that, but only when we have a better team out there.

Some saying Joe Williams wasn’t that great on Wednesday, but his presence in midfield, doing all the hidden stuff to give Bakinson and Benarous the platform to play, creating angles for Vyner and Scott to give them at least one more passing option….was what we missed yesterday.  One player, the right player makes that big a difference.

Its frustrating, totally.  There is no magic wand though.  We hope that the 3 missing midfielders are back asap and able to be rotated.  We hope the Jan window will give us those marginal gains.  We hope that Nige and the coaches influence will have more traction over time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Still think there is view that poor results and performances are because we don’t play “nice football”….and that if we did play nice football it would all be ok.  There is absolutely no guarantee.  And when I watch teams like Peterborough playing pretty stuff and losing, I’m grateful for our pragmatism.  Should I be comparing us to them?  Absolutely not, but it’s kinda where we’ve slumped to, hard to admit it I’m afraid.

We are seeing a team that when not at near full-strength is not that great.  It doesn’t matter what style we play, we lack quality.  It’s gonna take time.  I don’t think many are prepared to be patient.  I hear / read lots of fans saying we are a bottom six side, some say a relegation team, yet aren’t prepared to accept performance and / or results that match that evaluation.

Funnily enough, I think we are better than that, but only when we have a better team out there.

Some saying Joe Williams wasn’t that great on Wednesday, but his presence in midfield, doing all the hidden stuff to give Bakinson and Benarous the platform to play, creating angles for Vyner and Scott to give them at least one more passing option….was what we missed yesterday.  One player, the right player makes that big a difference.

Its frustrating, totally.  There is no magic wand though.  We hope that the 3 missing midfielders are back asap and able to be rotated.  We hope the Jan window will give us those marginal gains.  We hope that Nige and the coaches influence will have more traction over time.

Apparently not, it’s all shit & we should be dominating sides with higher wage bills than us & £20m strikers, even though 3 of our starting line up are kids.

I am completely bemused, I know it could be better but think I understand the circumstances we are in.

The relentless tide of negativity from high volume posters on here is bloody draining.

• Like 8

At this point it's more about results than performances. With the amount of injuries we've got we just need to keep away from the bottom three. I'd love for us to play pretty, expansive football but frankly we just need points even if they're smash and grab.

We lack quality and depth, unfortunately I don't think it's realistic to expect decent football until our "first-choice" side is back. I know some rate our squad players but they're the same ones who've failed to perform for years now. Our (extremely) long-term goal of promotion/challenging for top 6 won't be achieved with the majority of the current squad.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think it we had relied on luck to be in with a chance of winning or drawing some of those games that we conceded late goals in. For example Luton had chance after chance, yet somehow we found ourselves 1-0 up with minutes remaining having created one chance all game.

Going on performances I have been disappointed overall so far.

I’ve been disappointed too, I think we are underperforming (in the main), but not by very much though.  And it’s not a huge surprise either.  The financial backdrop underpins a lot of this.

I keep saying it, if we had a fully fit squad or the vast majority of key players available, then I think we settle into a comfortable 14th-18th place…albeit we will still be inconsistent.  To lose King and James plus Williams is unfortunate.

I can’t imagine we will have many if any comfortable wins this season.  They’ll all be nail-biting.  It’s where we are.

As fans we can stick it out, or we can choose not to.  I’m happy to be patient.  I don’t see this team as the end-game (thankfully).  I’m hopeful just one or two signings in January will give us impetus, hopefully a couple going out the door too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I think it we had relied on luck to be in with a chance of winning or drawing some of those games that we conceded late goals in. For example Luton had chance after chance, yet somehow we found ourselves 1-0 up with minutes remaining having created one chance all game.

Going on performances I have been disappointed overall so far.

I agree that over the course of the last 20 games, generally we have been disappointing.

For me the worst parts are of course the 7 points dropped at home to Blackpool, Luton, and of course the nadir Forest.

I've been encouraged though by the way the side has fought in the last two home games though to right those wrongs (Blackburn, and Stoke). We dug in, and arguably against both of them finished the last 10 minutes stronger.

Unfortunately away performances have fallen off a cliff at the same time, so of course overall we are seeing no uplift in our league position.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Matty James injury seems unfortunate. He played a full season last season so no reason why we could not have seen him doing the same again this season.

But I think with Andy King he had started and finished just one competitive game in the previous 3 seasons before joining us.

He's picked up 3 injuries already, the recent one coming after playing two full games after coming back from a thigh injury.

I am sure Pearson would have been worried about Williams availability this season after last season and him missing preseason. He came into this season not sure when he would be available.

So yep it is unfortunate King is injured, but with such a lack of game time in recent seasons and now 33 years of age and expected to play regularly at this level, it is not surprising he's picking up injuries. 

All out of likes today ?

Going to have to become an OITB supporter.....

Some pretty measured and sensible posts in this topic.

Sure, things aren’t great. However we need to stop the knee-jerk after every game.

Bakinson has gone from a ‘promising young player’, ‘making a position his own’, ‘Man of the Match’ to ‘not fit to wear the shirt’ in the space of 4 days.

Benarous was a ‘World-beater’ on Wednesday and ‘useless’ on Sunday.

As a result of injuries (and not being effective in the Transfer Market) we have a very weak midfield full of lightweight inexperienced youngsters. They are not bad players, they all have ability. They just look poor when there are no experienced players available.

The weak Midfield leads to more pressure on the defence, more errors at the back. Also means fewer chances created, making Martin look like a passenger (which he isn’t)

Sheff Utd performance and defeat was inevitable once Williams got injured on Wednesday.

Don’t blame individual players. It’s about the team. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gumpster1 said:

Some pretty measured and sensible posts in this topic.

Sure, things aren’t great. However we need to stop the knee-jerk after every game.

Bakinson has gone from a ‘promising young player’, ‘making a position his own’, ‘Man of the Match’ to ‘not fit to wear the shirt’ in the space of 4 days.

Benarous was a ‘World-beater’ on Wednesday and ‘useless’ on Sunday.

As a result of injuries (and not being effective in the Transfer Market) we have a very weak midfield full of lightweight inexperienced youngsters. They are not bad players, they all have ability. They just look poor when there are no experienced players available.

The weak Midfield leads to more pressure on the defence, more errors at the back. Also means fewer chances created, making Martin look like a passenger (which he isn’t)

Sheff Utd performance and defeat was inevitable once Williams got injured on Wednesday.

Don’t blame individual players. It’s about the team. 

Spot on.  Benarous made a decent contribution on Wednesday night, suddenly is “out of his depth” on Sunday.

People cannot divorce an individual game from becoming an overall view, especially when criticising.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve been disappointed too, I think we are underperforming (in the main), but not by very much though.  And it’s not a huge surprise either.  The financial backdrop underpins a lot of this.

I keep saying it, if we had a fully fit squad or the vast majority of key players available, then I think we settle into a comfortable 14th-18th place…albeit we will still be inconsistent.  To lose King and James plus Williams is unfortunate.

I can’t imagine we will have many if any comfortable wins this season.  They’ll all be nail-biting.  It’s where we are.

As fans we can stick it out, or we can choose not to.  I’m happy to be patient.  I don’t see this team as the end-game (thankfully).  I’m hopeful just one or two signings in January will give us impetus, hopefully a couple going out the door too.

With you @Davefevs - we need to be patient! ?

Re. Jan transfer window, based of where we are from an FFP perspective, we’re going to have to be very creative me thinks - perhaps see the likes of NW and KP go (possibly only on loan) in order for us to replace with a couple of loans of own?

Mindful though that Nige doesn’t like doing loans and so perhaps we will have a bit of scope for one or two permanent deals?

Edited by Loosey Boy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

With you @Davefevs - we need to be patient! ?

Re. Jan transfer window, based of where we are from an FFP perspective, we’re going to have to be very creative me thinks - perhaps see the likes of NW and KP go (possibly only on loan) in order for us to replace with a couple of loans of own?

Mindful though that Nige doesn’t like doing loans and so perhaps we will have a bit of scope for one or two permanent deals?

Creative is probably the word.