IGNORED

Chris Martin

Super

I agree, I think his performances has suffered as a result. He certainly doesn't lack the effort, but being asked at least twice a week to physical grapple with 2 centre backs alone is going to wear him out.

Especially as we also pass to him like he's a channel runner and expect him to make 30 yard dashes into the corner! You can tell halfway through the second half he must be thinking what the hell is going on!?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Super said:

It's blatantly obvious the guy cannot play 3 times in a week so why is he? Obviously doesn't say a lot about Wells. I actually felt sorry for him yesterday the guy is running on empty.

I think he’s playing as Pearson wants someone who can hold the ball up and he’s the only striker who can do it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think he’s playing as Pearson wants someone who can hold the ball up and he’s the only striker who can do it. 

See, I don’t see that as something Martin has demonstrated this season. 
He’s actually been very good at winning balls in the air, in fact I think his ‘aerial duel’ stats are very very good. 
But he’s not shown an ability to hold the ball up - in fact his touch on the floor has been poor. 
Aerially - he’s been very good. 
Hold up play - has been non-existent. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

It's blatantly obvious the guy cannot play 3 times in a week so why is he? Obviously doesn't say a lot about Wells. I actually felt sorry for him yesterday the guy is running on empty.

It's because we can't keep the ball further back and Pearson wants a focal point who can hopefully hold it and bring others into the game.
I think now Semenyo is fit we may see a little more rotation. No where near the same player, but strong and can hold the ball. Martin will start Saturday, but I expect Semenyo to get 30 minutes. Unless there are lots of changes.

29 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It's because we can't keep the ball further back and Pearson wants a focal point who can hopefully hold it and bring others into the game.
I think now Semenyo is fit we may see a little more rotation. No where near the same player, but strong and can hold the ball. Martin will start Saturday, but I expect Semenyo to get 30 minutes. Unless there are lots of changes.

He very rarely holds the ball up but fairness to him a lot of the balls are just lumped in his direction so it's never balls of any quality played to him.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

He very rarely holds the ball up but fairness to him a lot of the balls are just lumped in his direction so it's never balls of any quality played to him.

He can hold the ball, he can shield it, but if the ball is lumped over, or at, head height it's difficult. If we actually played to feet he might look better.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I agree that’s what Pearson wants, but Martin doesn’t really do it. He’s ok if the opposition central defenders allow him to be static and not challenged, but he hasn’t got the mobility to run into good attacking positions. I can’t remember a game when he’s really dominated the opposition player marking him. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

He’s actually been very good at winning balls in the air, in fact I think his ‘aerial duel’ stats are very very good. 
But he’s not shown an ability to hold the ball up - in fact his touch on the floor has been poor. 

100% agree.  Martin is at his best when you get balls into him in the final third, purposeful passes into him, where he can back in, feel his man and roll him, or lay off to running player.  He is not at his best trying to get aimless pumps forward under control around the halfway line.  He’s trying his best, his fitness levels are good, but you want him as fresh as yiu can.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

The point still stands that he is the only striker of his type at the club, which is why he is playing every game.  Pearson is showing no signs of wanting to play two from Wells, Weimann and Semenyo up top 

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

The point still stands that he is the only striker of his type at the club, which is why he is playing every game.  Pearson is showing no signs of wanting to play two from Wells, Weimann and Semenyo up top 

I agree that he’s the only one of that type. But he’s in there to win aerial duels, not for his on the floor hold up play - we don’t play that way. 

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree that he’s the only one of that type. But he’s in there to win aerial duels, not for his on the floor hold up play - we don’t play that way. 

Do you think pumping long balls at Martin is how Nige actually wants to play? It is pretty boring and old fashioned. Is it just a short term tactic because he thinks the team can't play passing football through the midfield. I truly hope this is only a short term tactic designed to make the most of what we've currently got. If he intends this to be our long term style  I'd find that a bit depressing. 

33 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Do you think pumping long balls at Martin is how Nige actually wants to play? It is pretty boring and old fashioned. Is it just a short term tactic because he thinks the team can't play passing football through the midfield. I truly hope this is only a short term tactic designed to make the most of what we've currently got. If he intends this to be our long term style  I'd find that a bit depressing. 

I think it’s a temporary tactic, based purely off the fact that we have a bunch of players who aren’t suited to possession football. 
We have a total mismatch of a squad and I guess he’s just thinking that our best opportunity is to let the other team have the ball, play long, play for set pieces. 
It’s horrible. But we haven’t got players who can pass and move. 

• Like 1