IGNORED

Danny Simpson

Hampshire reds

19 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Meanwhile the poor signing and questionable largely unpopular signing of Simpson is not Nigel's fault but the fault of the BCFC recruitment department by default. Teflon springs to mind.

I wouldn’t say Teflon. I’ve been quite clear that the recruitment dept are shyte and Pearson was likely in a tough position where he had to rely upon his own contacts - ala Mcinnes. 

I’ve levelled plenty of criticism at Nige, so he is far from Teflon in my eyes. But the 3 Ex-Leics signings are clearly a result of a poor recruitment team providing viable alternatives. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WWred said:

Christ how many older players have we signed over the last few years to provide that 'experienced head' that have turned out to be ******* useless.. Danny Simpson, Chris Brunt, Gary O'Neil, Jody Morris. It never bloody works for us signing the experienced general type players

Wade Elliott. 

Aaron Wilbraham 

• Flames 1

Anyone who regularly watches the u23s able to say how Sam Pearson has been getting on? I saw him in a pre-season game playing RWB and he was best player on the pitch (Benyous was also playing that day, and Scott only on the bench)

Really surprised that Pearson hasn’t made the bench (at least) yet this season, especially as we seem to be struggling at times at that exact position. 

47 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I question that.

What exactly are they bringing? It surely can't be motivation or attitude or additional coaching because what we're seeing appears to be players with no real motivation, a questionable attitude and no real game plan which they stick to. If they are sticking to a game plan then its the wrong one.

Meanwhile the poor signing and questionable largely unpopular signing of Simpson is not Nigel's fault but the fault of the BCFC recruitment department by default. Teflon springs to mind.

Worded poorly. I don’t discredit that it is a good idea in theory. I don’t think it is adding as much as NP anticipated or actually thinks. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Wade Elliott, Aaron Wilbraham, we’re both ******* useless, “never works out” eh?

To be fair, Gary O'Neil was probably a good idea/signing at the time, but was unfortunate with a serious injury and, it would seem (or, at least, is alleged by GO'N), with his subsequent medical treatment - where have I heard that before?

Also, the German chap, who was signed at around the same time, but whose name I forget, was a class player, but rarely played in his favoured position - I remain convinced he would have been an excellent, deep-lying central midfielder.

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

To be fair, Gary O'Neil was probably a good idea/signing at the time, but was unfortunate with a serious injury and, it would seem (or, at least, is alleged by GO'N), with his subsequent medical treatment - where have I heard that before?

Also, the German chap, who was signed at around the same time, but whose name I forget, was a class player, but rarely played in his favoured position - I remain convinced he would have been an excellent, deep-lying central midfielder.

I assume you refer to Jens Hegeler. 
He left us in December 2018 and hasn’t played a single minute of football since. 

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

I assume you refer to Jens Hegeler. 
He left us in December 2018 and hasn’t played a single minute of football since. 

That's a little disingenuous Harry.  He hasn't played a minute of football since due to his personal choice, not because no-one wants him.  He stepped away from playing to concentrate on his football analytics business, something that was stated on his release by the club.

I agree with Phil, the guy was a class act.  The trouble is that he was the right player at the wrong time.  He was a Glenn Hoddle when we needed a Roy Keane. (In terms of style not ability level, clearly).  As such we didn't see the best of him.  He suffered a bad injury early on and came back after we'd already started our slide.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

That's a little disingenuous Harry.  He hasn't played a minute of football since due to his personal choice, not because no-one wants him.  He stepped away from playing to concentrate on his football analytics business, something that was stated on his release by the club.

I agree with Phil, the guy was a class act.  The trouble is that he was the right player at the wrong time.  He was a Glenn Hoddle when we needed a Roy Keane. (In terms of style not ability level, clearly).  As such we didn't see the best of him.  He suffered a bad injury early on and came back after we'd already started our slide.

Yep, I know. He retired. At the age of 30. Not exactly someone who had the hunger to continue to forge himself a career - which is exactly my point, why would Phil “remain convinced” he was a good footballer, when Hegeler himself wasn’t convinced enough to continue. 
I just thought it was a poor example from Phil. 

Strange one with Simpson, as others have said. He didn't exactly pull up any trees last season when he was on that short term contract.

I know he's probably on a relatively low wage for a man of his experience. But that is a wage that we can't give to anyone else at the moment, due to the contract we've given him. I've no doubt there will be a parting of the ways in the Jan window; and there's no way we are exercising that second year option.

Looking at the midfield at the moment, probably the decision to in effect give Simpson, and King a contract was perhaps a mistake. But at the time, NP wanted more experience in the side. Little did he know that Simpson (I still shudder over perhaps the worst attempt at a backpass I've see from a City player at WBA) levels would drop so badly as they did. He was appalling against Villa in the pre-season as well. No doubt at that stage alarm bells were ringing, and the rush to get Tanner on board started.

I wouldn't be surprised if we go out in the loan market to get 2 x full backs next month. The two playing there at the moment, are generally trying their best; but are not, and have never been full back/wing backs. The same goes for Weimann.

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep, I know. He retired. At the age of 30. Not exactly someone who had the hunger to continue to forge himself a career - which is exactly my point, why would Phil “remain convinced” he was a good footballer, when Hegeler himself wasn’t convinced enough to continue. 

Right DNA shining through again....

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Underrated player whose City career was cut short as he couldn't bear babysitting Jack Hunt anymore.  

I know someone whose lad is in one of the age related sides & he said Williams was just brilliant with younger players, always prepared to offer support & advice, which considering the career he’s had reflects well on him.

One of those who left us this summer on the other hand he said was pretty unpleasant all round..

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Wade Elliott, Aaron Wilbraham, we’re both ******* useless, “never works out” eh?

2 x signings in the same window for what was an already formidable team in that league??  - Freeman, Korey & Matt Smith, JET, Tavernier etc.. Wilbraham scored plenty that season fair game but we were going up with or without them IMO. 

Happy to change my 'never' comment to 'rarely' if you'll take that? 

3 minutes ago, WWred said:

2 x signings in the same window for what was an already formidable team in that league??  - Freeman, Korey & Matt Smith, JET, Tavernier etc.. Wilbraham scored plenty that season fair game but we were going up with or without them IMO. 

Happy to change my 'never' comment to 'rarely' if you'll take that? 

We signed Wade Elliott before any of those players you mentioned (bar JET).

Glad you knew we were going up “with or without” a 20 goal striker, incredible foresight.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Strange one with Simpson, as others have said. He didn't exactly pull up any trees last season when he was on that short term contract.

I know he's probably on a relatively low wage for a man of his experience. But that is a wage that we can't give to anyone else at the moment, due to the contract we've given him. I've no doubt there will be a parting of the ways in the Jan window; and there's no way we are exercising that second year option.

Looking at the midfield at the moment, probably the decision to in effect give Simpson, and King a contract was perhaps a mistake. But at the time, NP wanted more experience in the side. Little did he know that Simpson (I still shudder over perhaps the worst attempt at a backpass I've see from a City player at WBA) levels would drop so badly as they did. He was appalling against Villa in the pre-season as well. No doubt at that stage alarm bells were ringing, and the rush to get Tanner on board started.

I wouldn't be surprised if we go out in the loan market to get 2 x full backs next month. The two playing there at the moment, are generally trying their best; but are not, and have never been full back/wing backs. The same goes for Weimann.

Vilmos Sebok to Steve Phillips at Wolves still wins that accolade for me. 

On Simpson, if we're playing a flat-back four, he probably starts yesterday. Starting Simpson at RWB would've been suicidal IMO. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

What about Taylor Moore? A regular in the Hearts team ( albeit that he got sent off for 2nd yellow last week) who are second in the Scottish Prem but a regular and match fit.

Unwanted by Pearson but seemingly more committed than many in our defence. Not in NP's plans but then again - I'm no longer sure who is.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, tin said:

Vilmos Sebok to Steve Phillips at Wolves still wins that accolade for me. 

On Simpson, if we're playing a flat-back four, he probably starts yesterday. Starting Simpson at RWB would've been suicidal IMO. 

Or who can forget Ray Atteveld's superb lob over Welch I think. Premiership quality at it's best.?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We signed Wade Elliott before any of those players you mentioned (bar JET).

Glad you knew we were going up “with or without” a 20 goal striker, incredible foresight.

sorry mate, i was referring to squad just being a cut above that level in general - hence why I went on to say with or without Wilbraham I think we'd have still gone up that season, something which I absolutely standby

Worrying but predictable that hardly any on here mentioning the positives that Simpson is bringing to the squad. Very obvious that he was always going to be more of a 'mentor' to the younger players rather than a squad player playing 90 minutes every week.

Numerous times this season at the final whistle he has been straight onto the pitch to one of the youngsters, arm round their shoulders with a word in their ear as they walk off. This can only be a good thing and one that Nige would have had in mind when he brought him in. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Worrying but predictable that hardly any on here mentioning the positives that Simpson is bringing to the squad. Very obvious that he was always going to be more of a 'mentor' to the younger players rather than a squad player playing 90 minutes every week.

Numerous times this season at the final whistle he has been straight onto the pitch to one of the youngsters, arm round their shoulders with a word in their ear as they walk off. This can only be a good thing and one that Nige would have had in mind when he brought him in. 

Perhaps his salary should be revised downwards to the levels expected of a general gee-upper & fluffer then? 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I struggle with your point when it decides there's no difference between hunger and ability.  Obviously somewhere during his time with us he fell out of love with playing the game.  Quite possibly when he got injured and was being rehabilitated by Doctor Death, who knows?  But that doesn't make him a less talented footballer because he no longer enjoyed it.

35 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I struggle with your point when it decides there's no difference between hunger and ability.  Obviously somewhere during his time with us he fell out of love with playing the game.  Quite possibly when he got injured and was being rehabilitated by Doctor Death, who knows?  But that doesn't make him a less talented footballer because he no longer enjoyed it.

The point was simply that the poster thought Hegeler was a good player, but the evidence of all of his games here, plus his subsequent early retirement, suggests not. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

can someone explain to me why did the club sign Danny. surely with his experience he should have played RWB yesterday. instead Pearson plays a young lad completely out of position. 

I can't explain specifically why Danny Simpson was signed. What I can do is to consider why he was signed using the information available. Which I believe is that, he's an experienced right back and we didn't have a right back, as such. Pearson knows what he brought to his teams in the past and he'd proven his fitness over a loan spell. Not saying he's great, or has speed now but, he is in a position to come into the team in the event of injuries and also help in the development of certain younger players. 

Yesterday I believe Pearson wanted to play with three centre backs and two wing backs. So his selection included two players out of our thin squad who can fulfil those roles of wing backs, players who have the ability to cover lots of ground up and down the pitch and have plenty of energy. They could also tuck in and help the very juvenile midfield in it's job of protecting the centre backs. Sadly, Sheffield were still able to boss this five man midfield and expose plenty of space using little triangles and diagonal defence splitting passes. Had we had a juvenile four man midfield and more rigid four man defence, then the outcome would possibly have been worse.

To play wing backs, you need players that are relatively quick and able to cover the ground for the whole match. Simpson is not that player and to suggest his inclusion as wing back is in my opinion, naive to say the least. 

So in summary, he was signed as cover and certainly not a wing back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Some players don’t want to plumb the depths of lower league football having experienced top flight football.  I think he was a good footballer.  Not sure he was suited to English Championship mind you….so again who benefitted from this signing?  I wonder.  Poor signing, not necessarily a poor player. He manipulated the ball on receipt better than most players I’ve seen for City since I started going again in 13/14.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I know someone whose lad is in one of the age related sides & he said Williams was just brilliant with younger players, always prepared to offer support & advice, which considering the career he’s had reflects well on him.

One of those who left us this summer on the other hand he said was pretty unpleasant all round..

Yes, heard the same.

And I know you’re referring to Pato in your second sentence.  I posted something similar in the summer, but was happy to go with the view that everyone else thought he was fine.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Harry said:

This is something I’ve been wondering too. 
Whilst Simpson is clearly one of Pearson’s signings, has something happened whereby Simpson is actually now one of the ones who Nige is calling out?? 
Seems odd to me that he doesn’t play and we end up playing a teenager out of position. 
I can only assume that Simpson is one of those players that Nige keeps calling out as not ‘on the bus’. 

I think you are correct.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Some players don’t want to plumb the depths of lower league football having experienced top flight football.  I think he was a good footballer.  Not sure he was suited to English Championship mind you….so again who benefitted from this signing?  I wonder.  Poor signing, not necessarily a poor player. He manipulated the ball on receipt better than most players I’ve seen for City since I started going again in 13/14.

Yes, heard the same.

And I know you’re referring to Pato in your second sentence.  I posted something similar in the summer, but was happy to go with the view that everyone else thought he was fine.

I remember some similar comments made on here at the time, perhaps it was you Dave?

• Like 1