IGNORED

Danny Simpson

Hampshire reds

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I remember some similar comments made on here at the time, perhaps it was you Dave?

Yes it was.  But I was happy that everyone else hadn’t heard anything of the sort, and mine was the sole whisper…and I didn’t know if it was true if not anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

Harry some pointless comments from u. i started saying about Danny Simpson. keep up. 

I’m confused. 
You started the thread. The first 2 replies slagged you off. I then backed you up. And now you’re trying to argue with me. 
Most unusual behaviour to an ally. 

• Haha 6

15 hours ago, WWred said:

Christ how many older players have we signed over the last few years to provide that 'experienced head' that have turned out to be ******* useless.. Danny Simpson, Chris Brunt, Gary O'Neil, Jody Morris. It never bloody works for us signing the experienced general type players

Hartley, Odemwingie, Cisse, Wade Elliott, Wilbraham.

Can and has worked for us jn days past as much as against us. The issue, is that like most signings, due diligence did not occur (under MA, period), and at the point we signed Simpson, Hunt was playing pretty damn badly.

I can understand NP punting on one of his (former) most consistent 6.5/10 performer at Leicester as emergency cover, the bad decision in this case was the extension, while injured, at the age of 34 going on 35.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fuber said:

Hartley, Odemwingie, Cisse, Wade Elliott, Wilbraham.

Can and has worked for us jn days past as much as against us. The issue, is that like most signings, due diligence did not occur (under MA, period), and at the point we signed Simpson, Hunt was playing pretty damn badly.

I can understand NP punting on one of his (former) most consistent 6.5/10 performer at Leicester as emergency cover, the bad decision in this case was the extension, while injured, at the age of 34 going on 35.

All of the “old uns” mentioned in this thread who have done well for us have all been whilst we were in League 1. 
I can’t recall many (if any) successes whilst in the championship. 
That’s not to say you can’t do it successfully, but when it comes to doing it at Champ level, you have to get it very very right. 
We all know that L1 to Champ is a big step and it’s a very different game. “Old uns” have to be “very good old uns” at this level. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Harry said:

All of the “old uns” mentioned in this thread who have done well for us have all been whilst we were in League 1. 
That’s not to say you can’t do it successfully, but when it comes to doing it at Champ level, you have to get it very very right. 
We all know that L1 to Champ is a big step and it’s a very different game. “Old uns” have to be “very good old uns” at this level. 

Hartley was championship wasn’t he? However i tend to agree with the point, our experienced signings haven’t exactly set the world on fire when they Have arrived here have they? 

Edited by Rob k

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Indeed. Very difficult to get it right and 9 times out of 10 the ‘’very good old uns’’ at this level still command big salaries.

Take a look at Gary Cahill for example, an extremely good older player at this level earning wages way out of our league.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Harry said:

This is something I’ve been wondering too. 
Whilst Simpson is clearly one of Pearson’s signings, has something happened whereby Simpson is actually now one of the ones who Nige is calling out?? 
Seems odd to me that he doesn’t play and we end up playing a teenager out of position. 
I can only assume that Simpson is one of those players that Nige keeps calling out as not ‘on the bus’. 

Simpson isn't a RWB either, it would be playing him out of position. When Pearson played 3/5 at the back in the Great Escape run, Albrighton played RWB, not Simpson (nor De Laet for that matter). Wasn't because Simpson wasn't 'on the bus', it was because he gets an avalanche of blood leave his nose if he has to go beyond the halfway line

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Hartley was championship wasn’t he? However i tend to agree with the point, our experienced signings haven’t exactly set the world on fire when they Have arrived here have they? 

38 minutes ago, lenred said:

And Cisse was also wasn’t he?  

Fair point on Hartley - yes this was Champ. He was 33, but was still in the Scotland national team - so this is the exception - ie I said the successful ones are only the “very very good ones”. 
Hartley was clearly a very good one and a current international. He was far from ‘past it’  

Cisse was 26 when he signed. 

8 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

Simpson isn't a RWB either, it would be playing him out of position. When Pearson played 3/5 at the back in the Great Escape run, Albrighton played RWB, not Simpson (nor De Laet for that matter). Wasn't because Simpson wasn't 'on the bus', it was because he gets an avalanche of blood leave his nose if he has to go beyond the halfway line

This is the whole point though. 
If you haven’t got the personnel, play 4 at the back. 
I’d rather have seen Scott in the midfield than at wing back. Revert to a back 4 and pack the midfield - which is the area where we were the weakest due to absentees. 
We had a fit right back. We lacked in midfield. Play the fit right back and make the midfield as strong as possible by putting an extra body in there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry said:

This is the whole point though. 
If you haven’t got the personnel, play 4 at the back. 
I’d rather have seen Scott in the midfield than at wing back. Revert to a back 4 and pack the midfield - which is the area where we were the weakest due to absentees. 
We had a fit right back. We lacked in midfield. Play the fit right back and make the midfield as strong as possible by putting an extra body in there. 

Our defence is sieve like in a 4.

Unless  you play with 5 in front and only 1 up front, we need to play 3-5-2.

IMO. 

2 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Our defence is sieve like in a 4.

Unless  you play with 5 in front and only 1 up front, we need to play 3-5-2.

IMO. 

It was sieve-like in a 5 as well. 
4-5-1 would’ve been the correct strategy on Sunday 

Edited by Harry

35 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Cisse was 27/28 when with us as a player, so not sure how he creeps in to the oldies section 

Have to agree that the majority of our over 30s signings have been rubbish, spectacularly so in some cases. 

It's an area we have to do massively better, and Wilbraham aside there's a decent argument that our last awesome 30 plus player was Shaun Taylor. 

Didn’t know his age was just answering that he played in the Champ not league 1 and it seems I got my questions mixed up apologies! ?. As you were! 

On 29/11/2021 at 09:28, Hampshire reds said:

can someone explain to me why did the club sign Danny. surely with his experience he should have played RWB yesterday. instead Pearson plays a young lad completely out of position. 

This is a fair question. 

I don’t understand the Simpson signing right now.

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

It was sieve-like in a 5 as well. 
4-5-1 would’ve been the correct strategy on Sunday 

We actually had a clean sheet with that set up and against Blackburn it was the best we had defended as a team all season. Looked decent.

Don't disagree with 4-5-1 away at Sheff Utd.

Setting up with a 4 at the back and only 2 CM is football suicide in current circumstances, however popular with many on here. IMO.

28 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

We actually had a clean sheet with that set up and against Blackburn it was the best we had defended as a team all season. Looked decent.

Don't disagree with 4-5-1 away at Sheff Utd.

Setting up with a 4 at the back and only 2 CM is football suicide in current circumstances, however popular with many on here. IMO.

I agree. 2 in CM, especially when the 2 are HNM & Baks is suicidal. 
Versus Blackburn the system worked well for the first half and we played well. But we had Williams in there. Having someone like him makes that system a whole different kettle of fish.
Mowbray said he was surprised by the set up and he made half time adjustments and they were much better 2nd half. So I didn’t get too over-excited by our performance in that game. 
I just think, by the very fact we had no James or Williams, we needed to get more bodies in the middle and I’d have gone 4-5-1. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

2 hours ago, lenred said:

And Cisse was also wasn’t he?  

And Odemwingie.

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Just to check Harry, three of the five I specifically quoted, as they played for us primarily at Championship level and we're all decently over the age of 30 when we let them go.

In theory Wilbs did also play a role keeping us up the first season. So could count as four of the five.

The issue with the older players signed since is that our Fitness, Conditioning, and Medical under Rolls' was a car crash. It's multiple areas that failed under LJ and Ashton's tenure.

See O'Neill's injury treatment - we basically ended his career.

18 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Just to check Harry, three of the five I specifically quoted, as they played for us primarily at Championship level and we're all decently over the age of 30 when we let them go.

In theory Wilbs did also play a role keeping us up the first season. So could count as four of the five.

The issue with the older players signed since is that our Fitness, Conditioning, and Medical under Rolls' was a car crash. It's multiple areas that failed under LJ and Ashton's tenure.

See O'Neill's injury treatment - we basically ended his career.

As I said; there are exceptions.  But those are generally the higher quality players. 
I qualified the Hartley situation earlier. 
Odemwingie was a short term loan - so we were not gambling with our future on him. 
You mentioned Cisse. Who was 26 when he signed. 
Elliot & Wilbs were both signed in league 1. 
So the only one of your examples that stands up is Hartley. And I’ve acknowledged that some players are less of a risk than others - ie, still an international for a reasonably well regarded national side. 

I’ll stand by my statement that old uns coming to a Champ side are a hard one to get right. Personally, unless they are of a clear outstanding quality and don’t have a history of injuries, I’d much rather sign someone under 30. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

As I said; there are exceptions.  But those are generally the higher quality players. 
I qualified the Hartley situation earlier. 
Odemwingie was a short term loan - so we were not gambling with our future on him. 
You mentioned Cisse. Who was 26 when he signed. 
Elliot & Wilbs were both signed in league 1. 
So the only one of your examples that stands up is Hartley. And I’ve acknowledged that some players are less of a risk than others - ie, still an international for a reasonably well regarded national side. 

I’ll stand by my statement that old uns coming to a Champ side are a hard one to get right. Personally, unless they are of a clear outstanding quality and don’t have a history of injuries, I’d much rather sign someone under 30. 

Plus, Paul Hartley came into a well established team, with not many teenagers/inexperienced players (as far as I can remember) so the balance of the squad would have been different to how it is now. (Apologies, I can't remember who else was in the team, at the time that PH was signed)

4 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Plus, Paul Hartley came into a well established team, with not many teenagers/inexperienced players (as far as I can remember) so the balance of the squad would have been different to how it is now. (Apologies, I can't remember who else was in the team, at the time that PH was signed)

I don’t think there will ever be a player viewed through such rose tinted glasses as Hartley. He contributed to some of the worst performances (we didn’t know what to to come) that season and did not press (see Cardiff beating us 6-0 at home) and wasn’t the Maradona people would like to remember!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I don’t think there will ever be a player viewed through such rose tinted glasses as Hartley. He contributed to some of the worst performances (we didn’t know what to to come) that season and did not press (see Cardiff beating us 6-0 at home) and wasn’t the Maradona people would like to remember!

I just remember a free kick…? Didn't he fall out with GJ? And he didn't play him?