IGNORED

Something behind those yellow cards?

fairweather

7 minutes ago, fairweather said:

Bentley, O’dowda and Martin deliberately getting booked.

Why would they have done that? was it a co-ordinated reaction to Pearson’s call for commitment? Along the lines of saying he wanted to see more yellow cards.  

It seemed like a deliberate statement to me. 

More bad refereeing he wasn't great.

13 minutes ago, fairweather said:

Why would they have done that? was it a co-ordinated reaction to Pearson’s call for commitment? Along the lines of saying he wanted to see more yellow cards.  

No.

Stop this.

• Like 5

The team did exactly the same thing in the Stoke game, sometimes so blatantly and in full view of the referee that it made me wince and then laugh as he let them get away with it.

Same thing on Sunday - different ref + away from home - different result.

It's just another example of Pearson trying to make us less nice. It's not the players just making this stuff up as they go along - this is the stuff they practice once the media bods and their video cameras have been sent packing from Failand. So yes, it's co-ordinated - by the manager! No conspiracy to see here

If I'm a player, I'd be left thinking - I've done the same thing 2 games in a row, how come one ref's booked me and the other hasn't, where's the consistency?

As a fan, I have the luxury of saying they didn't read the ref very well yesterday - after Bentley's booking for time wasting inside 20 minutes, the rest of them should have been much cuter about it. Easy for me to say - and, yes, where is the consistency?  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The team did exactly the same thing in the Stoke game, sometimes so blatantly and in full view of the referee that it made me wince and then laugh as he let them get away with it.

Same thing on Sunday - different ref + away from home - different result.

It's just another example of Pearson trying to make us less nice.

If I'm a player, I'd be left thinking - I've done the same thing 2 games in a row, how come one ref's booked me and the other hasn't, where's the consistency?

As a fan, I have the luxury of saying they didn't read the ref very well yesterday - after Bentley's booking for time wasting inside 20 minutes, the rest of them should have been much cuter about it. Easy for me to say - and, yes, where is the consistency?  

Not only that but O’Dowda (pretty meek & mild usually) took Vrancic out with a shocking late tackle straight from the kick off, then clotheslined another player off the ball when Stoke attacked last in the first half.

When King & James played I noticed those 2, plus Martin & Weimann were often in the refs’ ear, in exactly the way the likes of Millwall, Preston & Birmingham have repeatedly done against us over the years.

All part of trying to make us a tougher opponent, as you say.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I thought it was very noticeable  almost from kick off on Sunday that we were trying to slow the game down as much as possible. A bit desperate to go away to the team directly above us and play for a bore draw. The yellow cards were just embarrassing and pathetic in my view. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not only that but O’Dowda (pretty meek & mild usually) took Vrancic out with a shocking late tackle straight from the kick off, then clotheslined another player off the ball when Stoke attacked last in the first half.

When King & James played I noticed those 2, plus Martin & Weimann were often in the refs’ ear, in exactly the way the likes of Millwall, Preston & Birmingham have repeatedly done against us over the years.

All part of trying to make us a tougher opponent, as you say.

Absolutely Graham. There was a mass of dark arts going on at the Stoke game right from the off. Reminded me of how Swansea were against us at the start of the season.

Because of our lack of possession, we are now trying every trick in the book to break up play, and potentially use up the clock. How Baker avoided getting a yellow for his throws against Stoke + Kalas drying down the ball every time, even when the ball got thrown in; only to get knocked out straight away.

When Baker broke the guy's leg it was a blatant attempt to "leave a mark on him". Kicking the ball away, or in Bennarous's case player's boots. It's all an attempt to make us hard to beat, and annoy the opposition.

Unfortunately gone are the days of having the hard men, that can pull off that level of intimidation. Nowadays we are relying on 18 & 19 year olds to have that bite. Better teams aren't flustered by it, and go about playing their game.

• Like 1

It's been pretty clear for me since that Coventry game that we've put a deliberate effort into being more of a shithouse team. Right from the kick off against Blackburn, Chris Martin purposely ran full steam into one of their players to unsettle them, and that kind of thing was happening all game.  Benarous kicking the boot away etc.  Those things didn't get booked then but on another day will.

It's not ideal, and I'm not a massive fan of using tactics like this, but I prefer that over just watching the opposition like we did against Bournemouth.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Wow.

When was that?

Pretty poor, if true.

He made no attempt to avoid falling directly onto the player, right in front of the Dolman.

It was something akin to a WWE move. I think at the time we didn't realise quite how badly injured the lad on loan from Leeds was. He had been diving, or looking for a foul all during that first half. So there was a period of quite enjoying seeing a City player being physical, and putting one on him.

I feel a bit bad about it now, in all honesty.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

He made no attempt to avoid falling directly onto the player, right in front of the Dolman.

It was something akin to a WWE move. I think at the time we didn't realise quite how badly injured the lad on loan from Leeds was. He had been diving, or looking for a foul all during that first half. So there was a period of quite enjoying seeing a City player being physical, and putting one on him.

But which match?

45 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I saw it the same way at the time as well. 

Was a bit surprised Blackburn didn't complain more about some of our tactics during that game tbh.  Tony Mowbray a lot too classier than some other managers would have been after that one

As some posters have posted, it does look like a concentrated effort to be a bit more sh#thousey. 

Not a crime when we are away from home and of inferior ability to the opposition. The crime on Sunday was once one player got booked for kicking the ball away the other players were not intelligent enough to recognise that the Ref would punish similar offences in the same way. Brainless.

When the sh#thousing goes unpunished fans love to see it, Benarous kicking the boot away, Jack Hunt on Canos.  When we pick up stupid  bookings it doesn’t look so clever.

Players need to ‘read the room’

• Like 6

I must admit against Stoke I didn’t think we were very clever when doing it and thought a few were lucky not to get punished.

There are ways of doing it without getting punished but we have been so blatant and open, yesterday wasn’t a surprise.

What was a surprise was when they saw Bentley do it and realised the ref wasn’t having it, why they then carried on doing it with no effort to disguise it.

• Like 4

When I was (a lot) younger and playing amateur football to a reasonable standard (Glos County League), my then coach told me that should I want to avenge myself on someone who had, e.g. elbowed me, not to retaliate immediately, but to wait for a corner or free kick and then stamp on his achilles heel.

Charming, of course, and I suspect such an action would be picked up nowadays by VAR - not that there was any chance of that happening at my level ?.

Interestingly, another coach, John Rudge, formerly from the north/blue side of the River, suggested I should just forget it and carry on with the game.  

7 hours ago, fairweather said:

It was petulant, childish and not needed. Showed a real lack of discipline I would fine them all.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It wasn’t bad refereeing - kicking the ball away after the whistle has blown is time wasting and a yellow card offence ...

Be nice if he'd punished it consistently though. Let at least 2 of theirs off with it and only booked Sharp for it because our players made a fuss.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It wasn’t bad refereeing - kicking the ball away after the whistle has blown is time wasting and a yellow card offence ...

The clever players pick the ball up and hold onto it whilst confronting the referee.  This gives them time to organise. Yes it's still time wasting but it never ends in a booking. Kicking it away is so blatant. Get savvy lads. 

• Like 4