IGNORED

Amazon Prime

Super

As someone who's gotten into women's football more in the last few years, there are still smaller nations who don't have the resources. infrastructure, finances & talent the likes of a more established nation such as England have. As entertaining as the score may have been, many do want to see reform in the qualification process, in both the men's & women's game

That 18th goal killed us’ insist Latvia Women’s football team

December 1, 2021
 Written by Mark Molloy

Latvia have insisted today that they were still in last night’s World Cup Qualifier match with England, until the 18th goal went in.

With England going on to win the game 20-0 at the end, Latvia’s coach Romans Kvacovs has insisted today that the game was still in the balance right up to when England scored a lucky 18th goal.

Speaking earlier he fumed, “So unlucky, we were right in the game, it could have gone either way.

“But then England scored their 18th and our players’ heads just went down, it was such a lucky goal. It really was a sucker punch at a crucial time in the match.

“We always thought it would be a tough game but when it was only 8-0 at halftime we had England just where we wanted them, and I could see they were getting nervous.

“It was a real battle then for most of the second half with England on the ropes for long periods of the game but somehow managing to score another few very lucky goals which were all rubbish and offside.

“Then just as we were about to stage a great comeback we conceded a soft 18th goal in 82nd minute and the girls just couldn’t recover, there was just no time to stage our come back after that.”

Asked if he thought the result was a fair reflection of the game he told us, “No, we battered them. And what’s the ref doing? Only three minutes of injury time? It’s an absolute joke.”

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Get the FREE NewsThump Daily 
  • Haha 3

Think it’s pretty harsh, and lazy to be honest, to use the poor standard of the Latvian goalkeeper to have a dig at the woman’s game as a whole, without acknowledging in this game in particular that quite a few of those England goals were well taken - certainly finishes you’d be impressed with at Sunday league level, given that was mentioned earlier. 

Edited by Alessandro

5 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Think it’s pretty harsh, and lazy to be honest, to use the poor standard of the Latvian goalkeeper to have a dig at the woman’s game as a whole, without acknowledging in this game in particular that quite a few of those England goals were well taken - certainly finishes you’d be impressed with at Sunday league level, given that was mentioned earlier. 

And that's exactly what it is! Sunday league level 

8 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Yes but your not allowed to mention it! Basically if these channels picked the best person for their roles no women would be involved and that's just not allowed in today's woke world!

Yeah because Michael Owen or Robbie Savage are so much more knowledge and charismatic than Alex Scott for example... At least the latter can be bothered to do some research for the games she is on rather than trotting out tired old clichés. 

I agree Eni Aluko wasn't great, but look, now 3 people have expressed that opinion in this public forum alone... No one has died, no one has been cancelled, no one has been arrested... Stop wetting the bed with your political agendas. 

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

It IS an utterly pointless game of football...surely sport is all about competition.....and this was not about competition?  Just constantly putting the ball in a net is meaningless, and talk of goal records is just pathetic.  Makes womens football look sub standard and lame IMHO.

Ah I see, so by your logic the goal records set by Australia v American Samoa (31-0) must make the men's football look sub standard?

Actually, back on topic, I thought it was great entertainment.

Really showed that the team can put to the sword inferior opposition and have the mental aptitude to keep pummelling the opposition for 90 minutes by playing fast, expansive, clinical football with brilliant use of the width of the pitch. A great habit. 

I compare and contrast to the men’s team - the disparity between England men’s and San Mariano being very similar - and while difficult to criticise a 10-0 drubbing against the worst team in the world, the occasional lapses into crab ‘neutral’ football during the match shows the men’s underlying mind set. 

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Yep I did thanks........the San marino game was the exception that proves the rule.  I DO NOT see the point in the England men's team playing that game, but it was a very rare situation, whereas in women' s  football scores of that nature are commonplace.  There is an elite   dozen of women's international' teams, and then an extremely poor majority.  In men's football the reverse is true.  Some sort of seeding should be introduced to prevent these sort of games, which are completely pointless, and must demoralise teams like Latvia, and do them no favours?

In respect of Englands game - has anyone ever asked a San Marino player if they’ve wanted to play against England ? I bet many would love to continue sharing a pitch with your Beckhams, Kane’s, Linekars etc. different perspective perhaps. Something to tell the grandkids at least. 

• Hmmm 1

19 minutes ago, NorthBris_Southstand said:

Yeah because Michael Owen or Robbie Savage are so much more knowledge and charismatic than Alex Scott for example... At least the latter can be bothered to do some research for the games she is on rather than trotting out tired old clichés. 

I agree Eni Aluko wasn't great, but look, now 3 people have expressed that opinion in this public forum alone... No one has died, no one has been cancelled, no one has been arrested... Stop wetting the bed with your political agendas. 

Scott is very good.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Actually, back on topic, I thought it was great entertainment.

Really showed that the team can put to the sword inferior opposition and have the mental aptitude to keep pummelling the opposition for 90 minutes by playing fast, expansive, clinical football with brilliant use of the width of the pitch. A great habit. 

I compare and contrast to the men’s team - the disparity between England men’s and San Mariano being very similar - and while difficult to criticise a 10-0 drubbing against the worst team in the world, the occasional lapses into crab ‘neutral’ football during the match shows the men’s underlying mind set. 

How many 10 goal margins do you see in men's international football? There've been 3 in the last 24 hours of women's qualifiers.

17 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

In respect of Englands game - has anyone ever asked a San Marino player if they’ve wanted to play against England ? I bet many would love to continue sharing a pitch with your Beckhams, Kane’s, Linekars etc. different perspective perhaps. Something to tell the grandkids at least. 

Hmm. " Grandad, what did you do when you were young? "

" Well dear, I played in goal for San Marino in 2021 against England"

" Wow, did you win ? "

Edited by The Horse With No Name

14 hours ago, Pezo said:

Oh yeah I wouldn't want it to sound like I don't use them or even have a problem with them - I have echo's, an Amazon TV and prime.

Prime TV is pretty shite but it's all slowly slowly catchy monkey with Amazon, they will continue to analyse watching patterns and figure out what people like and make it enough to keep people on the platform.

I can remember Sky in the early, early days...it was truly horrific, Prime is nothing like that. Some cracking shows on there, eg Bosch, The Expanse

• Like 1

Just now, SecretSam said:

No-one's forcing you to watch it

Ha!  Thats correct...but everytime i go onto the BBC Football website i am constantly being told how wonderful it is, and how well it is all going.  I am all for women playing football, and I wish them well.  But it is a million miles away from mens football.  I am still trying to find decent goalkeepers, apart from the top 2 or 3, who aren't bad.  Anyways, my only reason for commenting intially was the ludicrous 20-0 scoreline which does womens football no favours as a product  IMHO  

• Like 3

Those whobare criticising standards here need to consider how the hame develops.

I remember England going to places like Turkey in the 70s and winning very easily. Before my time, but only just,  Italy were considered minnows and players like John Charles going there was a shock.

The only way teams like this improve is through playing better teams regularly.

1 hour ago, NorthBris_Southstand said:

I don't wet the bed any more young un, unless I've drunk to much alcohol, when you're old enough to drink  you may be the same!  ??

8 minutes ago, frenchred said:

She is absolutely terrible quite possibly the worst. Each to their own egh 

Agreed!

When he was linked to the AFC wimbledon job - she belittled it! Even though its several levels (being kind) above the level shes managing at!

To claim that women would never get a punditry job on merit, but through 'wokism' is absolutely laughable in an industry where countless male ex-pros who can barely string a sentence together get gig after gig. I've seen some absolute shocking pundits over the last 18 months or so, and not one of them was a woman. Sure, Karen Carney is a pretty dull, middle of the road pundit, but then so is Danny Murphy, Alan Shearer, Michael Owen...the list goes on.

Anyway, we all know Pat Nevin is the best football pundit out there. No need for discussion!

• Like 5
  • Confused 1