IGNORED

Some good news regarding the EFL Trophy

BCFCGav

Looking over the scores from the other leagues tonight, I notice how few U21 sides remain in the EFL trophy with a fair way still to go in the competition. Villa’s kids have just followed suit. There are a lot of reasons I don’t want to go down, but the biggest has to be I’d hate to see us playing Brighton’s (or whoever’s) youngsters. 

I really hope they ditch the U21’s soon, or scrap the competition outright. I really feel they’ve ruined a good thing. Am I just being a miserable bugger? What are people’s thoughts?

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

Just now, phantom said:

Devalued it but we can't really grumble about that competition considering how many times we have won it over the years 

Agree, it has given us some good times, nobody that was at the final for the Bolton game will ever forget it, which is probably quite underwhelming in a way.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Looking over the scores from the other leagues tonight, I notice how few U21 sides remain in the EFL trophy with a fair way still to go in the competition. Villa’s kids have just followed suit. There are a lot of reasons I don’t want to go down, but the biggest has to be I’d hate to see us playing Brighton’s (or whoever’s) youngsters. 

I really hope they ditch the U21’s soon, or scrap the competition outright. I really feel they’ve ruined a good thing. Am I just being a miserable bugger? What are people’s thoughts?

No you're right. They had no business changing a perfectly decent competition. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Agree, it has given us some good times, nobody that was at the final for the Bolton game will ever forget it, which is probably quite underwhelming in a way.

I was at the final when we beat Walsall 2-0. Not the most spectacular match but a really great day with great people. My guts will churn the first time a club’s academy wins the trophy! I want to see Carlisle’s and Crewe’s lifting it, making club history and amazing memories for fans.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Considering almost all of the small clubs have boycotted the competition ever since the introduction of B teams and continue to do so, with many getting their lowest ever competitive attendances, you’re certainly not alone in thinking that.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/clubs-see-lowest-ever-attendances-in-latest-round-of-efl-trophy-matches/

That link helps to show the attendances of the last few seasons, it wasn’t a well attended cup at the best of times but these days there’s just complete apathy across the board.

I remember a few seasons back Luton fielded their youngsters against a premier league u21 side, won the game, and were then fined for fielding their youngsters. Work that one out..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Nope you are correct, ruined a decent, fun tournament.

Should never have been changed. 

Think (happy to be corrected) that the u21s were introduced in the "hope" that attendances would pick up if someone like Crewe for example, drew Liverpool. 

It has had the opposite effect though, and fans are turning away, at least until the latter stages. So in that respect, nothing has changed.

What it does show is that the youngsters at the bigger clubs, aren't actually that much better than your L1/2 players.

The comment about testing the waters about introducing B teams into the leagues is probably pretty accurate tbf. Prem clubs just see it as another cash cow, but supporters at our level and below, see it as their bloated squads of players who aren't good enough for the top level, shouldn't be at those clubs in the first place.

Younger players are starting to see the sense of going towards a lower placed club in the pyramid, and realising they can make a decent/better name for themselves as a first team player lower down, than a fringe player playing in the EFL/u21 tournament. Exceptions like Foden etc will obviously always come along though.

Sickens me to say it, but I'd rather Rovers won the trophy than an u21 team ever winning it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I was at the final when we beat Walsall 2-0. Not the most spectacular match but a really great day with great people. My guts will churn the first time a club’s academy wins the trophy! I want to see Carlisle’s and Crewe’s lifting it, making club history and amazing memories for fans.

Huge City following that day, 45k?

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m out the loop on this - so lots of clubs have boycotted the competition?! That is big news ... haven’t seen that reported anywhere

Yeah it’s been the case for about 5 years now, in fairness to the gas they’ve stuck at it, just 800 odd against Cheltenham this season including away fans. Compare that to their 2nd round game against Wycombe the year before B teams came in and their attendance was 3.2k for that one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Red Homer said:

You can just about see that we easily filled half the stadium by my avatar!

I know people will say we only got that many because it was a big day out Wembley etc etc, but to me it clearly shows the potential we have, I'm of the opinion if we ever got to the Premier league and were even reasonably successful all those posters on here that say oh! Ashton gate is big enough for us will find themselves disappointed they can't get tickets for love or money for any of the BIG games of which there would be quite a few. I still say it was a real shame we never got our new stadium at Ashton vale.