IGNORED

THE FOUR SEASONS book signing this Saturday with Cheesely-Ritchie-Sweeney-Tainton!

Blagdon Mike

THE FOUR SEASONS – book signing at Ashton Gate

Saturday 4th December, Ashton Gate

12.30pm onwards above the Sports Bar

The book, which chronicles the years City graced the top flight 1976-1980, contains over 400 photographs and will be on sale for just £25 (cash).

Four players from that great team (as at 1st December) will be on hand to sign copies and chat to fans:

Paul Cheesley (early on)

Tom Ritchie

Gerry Sweeney

Trevor Tainton

Please go through the Sports Bar, up the stairs and turn right.

An opportunity not to be missed!

Gerry Sweeney.jpg

Paul Cheesley.jpg

Tom Ritchie.jpg

Trevor Tainton.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to THE FOUR SEASONS book signing this Saturday with Cheesely-Ritchie-Sweeney-Tainton!

Paul Cheesley was recently asked in an interview if he thought the 1976 promotion side would beat the current squad?

He replied, "I'd expect it would be a really tight game but we'd probably win by a goal"

The interviewer asked him why he thought it would be that close?

Cheese responded "Well my knee is still knackered, several of us have sadly passed away and the rest are in their 70's now"

???

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Am I missing something here?  I got this book 3 years ago for a Xmas present.. It is very good especially for those of us who were there for the top flight seasons. Anyone know if it has been updated or is just being re-launched?  I know they were unable to locate Brian McNeill from the players that played in the 1st Division, so I was wondering if it had been updated with any info on him, or any more recent interviews from the other players/backroom team.

Edited by New Dazzler

Picked up my copy of The Four Seasons book yesterday.

Great to see the legends that are Gerry Sweeney, Tom Ritchie and Trevor Tainton in attendance.

One thing that struck me after my first browse was the amount of players used in those heady four seasons in the top flight.

Incredibly only 32 players were used in the entire 4 seasons, if you take out the players that made less than 5 appearances the total is an amazing 25 players used in 4 seasons.

To put this into some context, last season alone we used a total of 38 players. Didn’t players have hamstrings in those days??

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Great to see the legends that are Gerry Sweeney, Tom Ritchie and Trevor Tainton in attendance.

One thing that struck me after my first browse was the amount of players used in those heady four seasons in the top flight.

Incredibly only 32 players were used in the entire 4 seasons, if you take out the players that made less than 5 appearances the total is an amazing 25 players used in 4 seasons.

To put this into some context, last season alone we used a total of 38 players. Didn’t players have hamstrings in those days??

No they hadn't been discovered yet!!   Players managed 3 games a week without needing to be rotated, or rested, they also managed without sports scientists, nutritionists, psychologists, ice baths, crypto chambers, agents,lawyers, drones, grass measuring equipment, video analysis, and the high press.

Surprising despite all that they were actually quite good footballers and the matches were, by and large, entertaining.

Still that's progress for you.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Completely different game then, far slower, plus only 1 sub too.

Also AD was a very conservative manager who largely stuck by the same squad, in the close season after winning promotion we didn’t sign anyone at all, can you imagine that now?

So glad I was just old enough (& in my teens appreciate them) to see those 4 years, as at 58 I’m not convinced I ever will again.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1