IGNORED

Not looking forward to Saturday

pl00peh91

12 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Throughout my 47 years of watching and supporting Bristol City this is without doubt the least entertaining football I have ever witnessed. 

Dull, disorganised and at times almost comical.

There was a spark of hope in the Blackburn win, with the change of formation and an actual game plan, lets hope Saturday is the same.

I have watched for 30 years and can think of 2 times it's been worse than this off the top of my head - Pulis, SOD.

This is probably equal to D McI, Millen, Tinnion, Holden, Benny.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I have watched for 30 years and can think of 2 times it's been worse than this off the top of my head - Pulis, SOD.

Pulis was close but not SOD (but may be clouded by the Rovers win !)

Edited by VT05763

5 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m still undecided whether to come up or not TBH. The weather forecast is pretty crap and for me as a self-employed bloke it`s my busy weekend for invoicing and on top of that it`s the end of a VAT quarter. Can I justify spending all day Saturday going up to Bristol and back? There was a time when there would be no question, I`d be there, but now, I really don`t know.

Ditto. I am Devon based as I think are you.

• Like 1

Horrible times.

We’ve done the change of manager, the CEO, backroom staff. Had the ‘new’ stadium, training ground. The local mega-rich owner. Even the marquee signings. 

The players are dire and the play equally so.

Surely two players can form a playing partnership, link and understand each others play. Something, anything, on which we can start to develop some teamwork, patterns of play and identity. Is that such a big ask?

It just seems such chaotic, random rubbish, mainly from half-arsed or made of glass players. 

In the past, even at the bottom of the 4th division, there was hope that something, on or off field, could trigger a change of fortunes. We just seem in a tailspin at the moment and no idea of how to get out of it. 

5 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

We’ve all felt like this in the past, but time heals and we forget just how bad we felt under SOD, McInnes, LJ, Holden, it’s nothing new. Just look forward to the future when you’ll have forgotten how bad it used to be and you’ll be ready to have another bout ‘never having felt so detached from the club’. It’s called the City circle of life. 

I get that but from a personal basis (and I’ve been watching since 71 this feels an unusually grim/ grey period. Perhaps it’s just my age!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

1980 - 1982 makes those eras seem highly successful - thank God there wasn’t an online Forum when we plummeted from the top division in England to the bottom of division 4 ... but we are still here and we are still right behind them - a bit of perspective is probably needed - yes the fans’ expectations are soooo different now but we are currently competing in the fifth best division in the world and we are doing ok - don’t give up on our club  just yet ...

Are we still one of only two teams (believe Huddersfield were the other) that have plumited through all leagues (from 1 to 4) in consecutive seasons?

8 hours ago, Pezo said:

Absolutely spot on!

Anyone saying this is the worst ever either has a short memory or has only watched City since the SC era. 

SOD’s period was definitely worse and Pulis THE worst for me. Not only was the Pulis era horrendous football but the atmosphere was poisonous every game, much of it personal and the feeling in the end was mutual!

It will take something to beat that; Joey Barton taking us to the National League perhaps! ?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Watching the team you support does come with the ups and downs emotionally. We've not only had crap results but the way we play is not great currently and hasn't been for a very long time. We can only hope for determination and grit and not much else apart from academy youngsters getting a chance as of right now as a positive. That being said to enjoy the ups you do have to ensure the downside of football.

Problem is the downs don't normally last this long

10 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Pulis signing beadle was a dark dark day.

Then the clown, said signing marcus browning could turn our season around.

He was about 14 stone, playing for bouremouth reserves.

No way! Beadle scoring for us against the gash was one of my favourite football moments?

22 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

Anyone else feel this way? I’ve not felt such little enthusiasm for seeing City live than I do on Saturday. I can’t really identify any players I’m actually looking forward to seeing and I don’t recall enjoying a game less than Sunday’s to be honest. The only hope is the fact that as our away form significantly worsens our home form has improved. I am hopeful that Saturday’s performance brings me out of my current malaise as I really am not looking forward to seeing another inept performance on Saturday, if it happens.

Surely you're excited for the OTIB meltdown if we lose?

On 01/12/2021 at 17:37, pl00peh91 said:

Anyone else feel this way? I’ve not felt such little enthusiasm for seeing City live than I do on Saturday. I can’t really identify any players I’m actually looking forward to seeing and I don’t recall enjoying a game less than Sunday’s to be honest. The only hope is the fact that as our away form significantly worsens our home form has improved. I am hopeful that Saturday’s performance brings me out of my current malaise as I really am not looking forward to seeing another inept performance on Saturday, if it happens.

On 01/12/2021 at 17:37, pl00peh91 said:

Yep. Dreading Saturday if I’m honest …

….not because of the football. But because I’m getting married ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Yep. Dreading Saturday if I’m honest …

….not because of the football. But because I’m getting married ? 

I remember about a decade plus ago seeing a bride, groom and full wedding party (all togged up appropriately) watching a game in the old East End. 

Why not go down the Gate after the service, with new Mrs 082005?   Combine two terrifying ordeals on one day!

• Haha 1

On 01/12/2021 at 22:48, VT05763 said:

Throughout my 47 years of watching and supporting Bristol City this is without doubt the least entertaining football I have ever witnessed. 

Dull, disorganised and at times almost comical.

There was a spark of hope in the Blackburn win, with the change of formation and an actual game plan, lets hope Saturday is the same.

I feel similar to this. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the worst EVER, but it's pretty close. 

To think - a few seasons ago we were all frustrated and upset because we slipped out of the top 6 playing boring football. 

Ah well, it looks like Nigel might achieve in his first full season what LJ failed to do in all his 5 year tenure - take us out of the Championship!!!!! ?

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
add words

14 hours ago, Swede said:

I can see Derby escaping. I think we're in for a difficult match and I can't see anything other than a defeat.

Four points taken off the top two in the division commands respect.

Escaping? 

They are currently 19 points adrift of 4th bottom having gained 22 points from 20 games.

If they continue with their current form they will end up with 51 points, 21 of which are already deducted.

Absolutely ******* delusional, they will need to get around 70 points to stay up, so need 49 more from 26 games. That’s top 3 form, they have only won 4 games all season.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Swede said:

I can see Derby escaping. I think we're in for a difficult match and I can't see anything other than a defeat.

Four points taken off the top two in the division commands respect.

Escaping relegation you mean? That will take a hell of an effort - we're roughly half way through the season and Derby are currently 19 points from safety.

Derby's underlying numbers are pretty poor this season too - they're performing at the standard of a team in a relegation battle. Note that even without the points deduction they'd be below us in the table.

Credit to Derby for the fight and spirit they've shown in recent weeks, but they're still not a great side.

Obviously we're not in a great place ourselves (especially with the midfield injuries), but really I don't think it's a game we should be expecting to lose,

• Like 1

For me it’s nothing like the worst I’ve seen, started watching during Dicks Div 2 days and whilst vaguely depressing that the highlight of my football watching times was right at the start, there have been many worse periods than now (that lots have highlighted on this thread). Feels like recency bias to see this as being so awful compared with the past.

With a few key players fit think we’re solid mid table, accepting it maybe tricky to get those players fit (at least consistently). When we’ve had King and James on the pitch, we’ve generally looked solid if unspectacular, with Williams, think we’ve looked pretty good. Interesting lesson in what’s needed in central midfield (simplistically, obvs individual ability quite important!):

preferred: experience and athleticism (mid/late twenties - Williams)

next best: experience (James/King)

least valuable: youthful exuberance (Bakinson/Massengo - albeit get that exuberance and TB may not be synonymous)

Personally would prioritise centre mid in Jan if we can afford to get anything done, as think that’s consistently the area that’s the problem when we’re awful. 

Back on topic, not a million miles off being average in annals of the football I’ve watched, currently poor (way too inconsistent), but nowhere near the worst. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Escaping? 

They are currently 19 points adrift of 4th bottom having gained 22 points from 20 games.

If they continue with their current form they will end up with 51 points, 21 of which are already deducted.

Absolutely ******* delusional, they will need to get around 70 points to stay up, so need 49 more from 26 games. That’s top 3 form, they have only won 4 games all season.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

12 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Escaping relegation you mean? That will take a hell of an effort - we're roughly half way through the season and Derby are currently 19 points from safety.

Derby's underlying numbers are pretty poor this season too - they're performing at the standard of a team in a relegation battle. Note that even without the points deduction they'd be below us in the table.

Credit to Derby for the fight and spirit they've shown in recent weeks, but they're still not a great side.

Obviously we're not in a great place ourselves (especially with the midfield injuries), but really I don't think it's a game we should be expecting to lose,

Tomorrow will be a tough game, but w/o a points deduction they would still be below us presently, on 22 pts.  As you both say, they aren’t chugging along like QPR and a promotion chasing team had they not been penalised points.  They are a bottom 6/8 team.

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Tomorrow will be a tough game, but w/o a points deduction they would still be below us presently, on 22 pts.  As you both say, they aren’t chugging along like QPR and a promotion chasing team had they not been penalised points.  They are a bottom 6/8 team.

Agree it will be tough & Rooney has done a decent job of getting a competitive side on the pitch from the many out of contract players that trained with them pre season but the lack of perspective on here at times is baffling.

I genuinely can’t see Barnsley or Peterborough overtaking us & have seen far worse sides (& football) than the current one but feel like I enter a parallel universe on here sometimes.

• Like 3