IGNORED

Sell Massengo?

Better Red

Looking at the shortcomings of the squad do we need to sell to get the funds to get the 3 players we need.

Massengo, Bakinson, Palmer & JD could offer the opportunity to get a few quid into so Nige can use to invest in the Squad.

Leftback, Midfielder and Striker look the minimum we need to give the squad a much better balance.

The above to return 2 or 3 million between and that should be enough to get at least 2 perm and 1 loan we desperately need to get us clear of relegation.

A left back would allow COD to play as a more traditional winger and also Pring can cover/compete as LB. JD becomes surplus to requirements.

A midfielder capable of starting on rotation with James and Williams allows us to cash in HNM and also get Bakinson out.

A striker maybe on loan should gives enough options to finish the season in the top half of the table.

Not popular I know but HNM impact is minimal in terms of goals and assists.

Also if Williams and James fit will he play anyway.

• Confused 3
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Who would buy him for the money we would need to sell him for?

You could say that about any of them. I don’t have a clue what players are selling for anymore, but one thing is for sure he’s not worth much, like most of them with the exception of Bentley. 

If we get an offer of any sort for any player it is going to be considered. I don’t see us buying anything unless we sell. It is also pretty obvious we will have to loan whether NP likes it or not. What is clear is our best players in Williams and James have sick notes regularly. What we have out there is not good enough to compete and something has to change. 

Massengo is popular. But his popularity far outweighs his usefulness in a relegation battle. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

You could say that about any of them. I don’t have a clue what players are selling for anymore, but one thing is for sure he’s not worth much, like most of them with the exception of Bentley. 

If we get an offer of any sort for any player it is going to be considered. I don’t see us buying anything unless we sell. It is also pretty obvious we will have to loan whether NP likes it or not. What is clear is our best players in Williams and James have sick notes regularly. What we have out there is not good enough to compete and something has to change. 

Massengo is popular. But his popularity far outweighs his usefulness in a relegation battle. 

I agree, we’ve got a squad who aren’t worth a light in transfer fees and on recent form that includes the glued to his line goalkeeper.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I agree, we’ve got a squad who aren’t worth a light in transfer fees and on recent form that includes the glued to his line goalkeeper.

Our squad’s value has dropped off a cliff.

If any of them were to be sold, I think our the highest fee we’d get would be for Kalas.  Problem is, he’s sat with an asset value of £3m in January, so we have to sell him for a fair chunk to have just to re-invest.  What might we get £5m, £6m at most if the right club came in.  And to be honest, controversial as it might sound, freeing up c£25k p.w. is not to be sniffed at.

Whilst I like Bentley, I’m sure from a scouting perspective you’d be highlighting command of his area, poor decision making with the ball in hand or at feet, starting position when ball is up the pitch is too deep.  I don’t think you’d get much more than we paid for him (£2-3m).

If Massengo was to be sold, any chance of a sizeable fee is based on potential…which is fair enough.  I think he will go on to very good things, chances are it won’t be with us. We’d be in a better position if we could get his contract extended first.

Beyond that I’m struggling.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Our squad’s value has dropped off a cliff.

If any of them were to be sold, I think our the highest fee we’d get would be for Kalas.  Problem is, he’s sat with an asset value of £3m in January, so we have to sell him for a fair chunk to have just to re-invest.  What might we get £5m, £6m at most if the right club came in.  And to be honest, controversial as it might sound, freeing up c£25k p.w. is not to be sniffed at.

Whilst I like Bentley, I’m sure from a scouting perspective you’d be highlighting command of his area, poor decision making with the ball in hand or at feet, starting position when ball is up the pitch is too deep.  I don’t think you’d get much more than we paid for him (£2-3m).

If Massengo was to be sold, any chance of a sizeable fee is based on potential…which is fair enough.  I think he will go on to very good things, chances are it won’t be with us. We’d be in a better position if we could get his contract extended first.

Beyond that I’m struggling.

I agree. However Scott has as much potential and probably more than Massengo. IMO of course. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Agree 100% just as well give Max a turn, at least he will leave the line under the posts.

As for the rest the only way to get more money would be when the likes of Wells contract runs out and we dont have to pay him

2 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I think HNM is a good player in a bad team, in the wrong league. Germany or France would suit him better.

Yes, I think he is a very good player. Surrounded by a lot of average or below-average ones. Personally, I'd be doing all I could to keep him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red7 said:

Yes, I think he is a very good player. Surrounded by a lot of average or below-average ones. Personally, I'd be doing all I could to keep him.

Trouble is, the brilliant young player we need is an 18 year old Gerry Gow*. Instead we have HNM, Scott and Benarous, who are less 'combative'.

*Maybe dialled back a little on the aggression, mind...

In my eyes we've got a lot of players with the POTENTIAL to bring us a big fee, but very few that would in say, January. I could see Scott, Massengo, Atkinson, Conway, Tanner going for good money one day. If any were to have a really big season the fee would sky rocket. But I think we need some money in now, and I can only see Kalas or Bentley bringing in a useful fee. And I think we need both of them here ensuring we stay the right side of the bottom three this season. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I'm not sure Massengo is going to morph into the amazing midfielder some are predicting. He isn't quick, doesn't have a good shot in him. Not a great range of pass and as he never takes set pieces I assume that isn't a strength. I can't see the fuss myself. 

I can see it taking some time before he matures as a player and he'll be long gone and we wouldn't have made much on him. 

Always been a big fan of Han and whilst he still has lots to learn he's played a lot of mins at this level already for a young'un. He's ceiling should still be quite high.

He didn't get a lot of game time under Holden, Pearson does seem to like him but i get the feeling he will see his medium term future somewhere else.

I think a lot comes down to the contract situation. Would not be surprised to see a move back to Ligue 1 in the summer if he doesn't extend.

• Thanks 1

Every player has a price that City would be prepared to accept. Unfortunately I can’t foresee any club making any reasonable offers for any of the players. The best we can hope for is to give some players away (as with Nagy) or send them out on loan to reduce the wage bill. 

3 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I'm not sure Massengo is going to morph into the amazing midfielder some are predicting. He isn't quick, doesn't have a good shot in him. Not a great range of pass and as he never takes set pieces I assume that isn't a strength. I can't see the fuss myself. 

Yes if he's not dribbling past 4 players,  scoring 30 yarders, playing Hollywood passes or taking corners and free kicks he must be rubbish.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I agree. However Scott has as much potential and probably more than Massengo. IMO of course. 

Relative, I consider them to be different players. And there are other players I would shift before Massengo, especially in respect of wages.

Ideally, with the current squad, we need another right back as Vyner simply is not the answer in that role and Simpson is done. Tanner injured has highlighted this.

DaSilva and Palmer need selling to free up wages, period. May be we look to the loan market to allow scouting to take place and recruit in summer. Kalas I could see leaving to free up wages, which if combined with the former two, hopefully we can shift Wells even at a discount to free up a further £25kpw - gives us circa £70kpw, which when budgeted is three £1m signings at £8-10kpw wages, and maybe a loan or two.

I think we need to keep Massengo as we know he can actually perform at this level. Depends on contract negotiations. If it's not looking good then he's going to have to be sold in the summer anyway.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, got something about him….but we aren’t selling him in the next two windows, which is when we need funds.

Glad to hear that. However i feel if we are approached at any decent level by any decent club he will be gone with the appropriate sell on the same as the rest of them. IMO we are not in a position to be to picky on where we raise the funds, no matter what the club propaganda/ists might say! 

44 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Relative, I consider them to be different players. And there are other players I would shift before Massengo, especially in respect of wages.

Ideally, with the current squad, we need another right back as Vyner simply is not the answer in that role and Simpson is done. Tanner injured has highlighted this.

DaSilva and Palmer need selling to free up wages, period. May be we look to the loan market to allow scouting to take place and recruit in summer. Kalas I could see leaving to free up wages, which if combined with the former two, hopefully we can shift Wells even at a discount to free up a further £25kpw - gives us circa £70kpw, which when budgeted is three £1m signings at £8-10kpw wages, and maybe a loan or two.

I think we need to keep Massengo as we know he can actually perform at this level. Depends on contract negotiations. If it's not looking good then he's going to have to be sold in the summer anyway.

Scott and Massengo are largely different players that is clear. However shifting players is a direct function of who wants them. We are not over burdened with players that have value, for any reason and we clearly need to move a few and free some wages. 

The players that some might want to keep are in all likelihood those with the most transfer value who could get a contract at a similar or better level elsewhere. 

DeSilva and Palmer (singling them out as you mentioned them) may want to play, but to what extent are they prepared to leave and get less money in order to have more chance of kicking a ball on match day. A question for them. 

We are in a terrible mess as a consequence of MA and LJ throwing money at anything and the “family” allowing it. 

On a slightly different note, Pearson has taken over this shit show and is trying to do something with what he has, kids, sick notes, lightweights and one or two seasoned pros. I am as infuriated as the next girl when we blow up but this rebuild will take the three years ascribed. That’s a fact. 

6 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

He's put in some amazing performances this season. Wins more tackles than he loses and some of the through balls he plays are amazing.  

Edited by fishy