IGNORED

Good memories required

LichfieldRed

Gary Owers scored in the first minute - City 0 Sunderland 1 - can't remember exact year, might have been 87.

A night game, Owers scored at the open end, sliding in at the far post. Probably the year Sunderland were champions under Denis Smith. We huffed and puffed all night but couldn't find an equaliser. 

The rubbish you remember, eh? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Puckle_red said:

Pretty sure Joe Burnell scored with his left foot in 1st or 2nd minute, I want to say against Luton in the Danny Wilson era? 

Joe Burnell scoring!? That's a scrap book moment if ever there was one in it's own right :dance:

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Gary Owers scored in the first minute - City 0 Sunderland 1 - can't remember exact year, might have been 87.

A night game, Owers scored at the open end, sliding in at the far post. Probably the year Sunderland were champions under Denis Smith. We huffed and puffed all night but couldn't find an equaliser. 

I was still trying to get through the turnstiles when I heard a big roar, assumed we’d gone 1-0 up.

Neville went round the keeper late on, slotted it in….well, almost, as the camber of the pitch made it drift wide.  Joe Jordan up top, was great.  Eric Gates was a nause!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

City 1-0 Millwall - December 2006

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Sheffield Wednesday 0-1 City - September 2007. Live on Sky

City 1-0 Crystal Palace - December 2008. Maynard after 2 mins

We were good under GJ at holding onto 1-0 leads it seems..

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yep - a geezer stood behind me got into The Gate about five minutes after kick off for that game - at the end he said ‘decent point that’ - his face when I told him ... ?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, LichfieldRed said:

Hi all,

In this week’s “The Knowledge” in the Guardian, someone asks for examples of games with very early goals that finished 1-0.

I am sure in the time  I have been supporting City (31 years) we won a game at AG with a first-minute winner.

Anyone remember the match?

I can remember us losing at AG to Sunderland with a goal in the 3rd minute.

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

City 1-0 Millwall - December 2006

Yep, mentioned that one just above you.

Promotion season under GJ, we were very good (at that level) at seeing out low scoring games & pretty much repeated the trick the following season all the way to the playoff final.

An inspired keeper in Basso & a back four of Orr, Carey, McCombe & McAllister goes a long way to explaining that, 2 full backs who hated getting beat, an aerially dominant CB & Louis, who was pretty good at all aspects of defending..

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, mentioned that one just above you.

Promotion season under GJ, we were very good (at that level) at seeing our low scoring games & pretty much repeated the trick the following season all the way to the playoff final.

An inspired keeper in Basso & a back four of Orr, Carey, McCombe & McAllister goes a long way to explaining that, 2 full backs who hated getting beat, an aerially dominant CB & Louis, who was pretty good at all aspects of defending..

The best back 4 we've had since we were a top flight side I would say, far from spectacular as players but were good at defending - Especially Carey who was an excellent man marker.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1