IGNORED

Good memories required

LichfieldRed

It might just be me, but after the joy of the celebration of early goals have sided down, I often find an early 1-0 lead unsettling. They completely change the complexion of the game before it’s had a chance to settle. Maybe it’s just because I never trust City to hold on. It’s the hope that kills us, and all that.

Under GJ we were very good at defending leads, although towards the end of his tenure I remember we seemed to start conceding late goals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DingleRed said:

But maybe the most memorable was 20th April 1976 against Portsmouth. Clive Whitehead on 5 minutes took us into the old 1st Division. 

Indeed, although, as I mentioned right at the start of this thread, I thought the goal was in the third minute.

Whatever, it was very early, and I recall the tension rising as the final whistle approached - and then we all invaded the pitch.

3 hours ago, 2015 said:

City 1-0 Crystal Palace - December 2008. Maynard after 2 mins

We were good under GJ at holding onto 1-0 leads it seems..

I’m sure I recall the following season  Freddie Sears scoring against us in the first half for Palace, but we came back with a very late Maynard winner to win 1-0 ? 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep - a geezer stood behind me got into The Gate about five minutes after kick off for that game - at the end he said ‘decent point that’ - his face when I told him ... ?

I arrived two minutes late for a home game against Blackpool once, we scored in the second half. I was convinced we had won 1-0 and wondered why others were looking disappointed. Blackpool had scored in the first minute!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

God only knows how we held on to win...............................................

'Wouldn't It Be Nice' if we could do that now ? I asked my Lady 'Lynda' (who lives in Sumahama in Holland) about that game but 'She Still Believes In Me' and City to 'Do It Again' 

Off to the pub now to meet my 'Friends' as it's my turn to 'Get A Round' 

On 02/12/2021 at 13:35, PHILINFRANCE said:

Of course it was 1976! - at the start of this thread I even mentioned City's previous game, in what was then the Second Division, when they beat Portsmouth to earn the right to play at Highbury.

Conveniently forgetting the game after Pompey when Notts County had an easy win at Ashton Gate against a completely inebriated City squad!

@PHILINFRANCE

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Glyn riley scored in the mid 80s, certainly in the first 3 minutes against a future england goalie.

Anyone name him?

Would it have been Dave Beasant? Glyn scored a hatrick in a 4-2 win if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

West Brom away the season we got promoted to the top flight. Gerry Sweeny scored in the first minute or two. We then spent the rest of the game being bombarded by them. What a night. The minutes dragged by.  Near the end of the season, a Very important 1-0 win on our way up.