IGNORED

Louis Britton

NcnsBcfc

15 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

I agree and would rather watch Weimann than the others, I am not interested in the individuals in a team game. Just like I couldn't give a toss who wins the Ballon D'or. 

Just me I guess

You could have a team of talented footballers that were less fit.

Then you could have a team of fit athletes that were less natural and technical footballers. 

The latter is now the norm. 

Is it better...imo, no.

How often do we watch players running a lot, but they can't pass, control, read a game. Basics. It's getting more frequent. It's happening in most sports...fitness over finesse.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I think he needs a good loan, a successful one. U23's is no level to judge.
He's an interesting player, usually gets a shot away and usually on target. Has that knack of, right place right time. I'm not convinced just yet, a good month I hope changes that. I have Conway ahead of him, technically better looks more composed. But you can't dispute Britton's goals. I hope LB has a good month with lots of goals.

Well the highlighted line is the point. Has Conway got anywhere near Britton's goal rate?  Played 10 times the number of first-team minutes that LB has, but scored the same number of first-team goals. 

We're a goal-shy club at the moment. I'd rather have a youngster on our bench who doesn't do (or maybe say) the right things in training, but scores goals in games, then someone who trains brilliantly, but doesn't.

• Like 3

I really really don’t get the love in for Britton. Scored once in a meaningless last 15 minutes on the last day of the season when we were down 3-0. Oh and he scores for the u23s where he is a bit older than the rest of our u23s. 

He has made two matchdays in our worst team in the last 8 years. Been called out by the manager for not being fit enough. Didn’t get a new deal from city in the summer when 4 others of similar age and development did. Scored once in over 300 minutes at national league level when he was there. All that and this guy is going to come change our fortunes? Even if I forgot all that, we are still Bristol City and don’t supply our strikers with much opportunity. 

I am all for young players but I don’t get the love in. How many times do we say stats can be misleading? Yet most of the people saying he should play go look at his goals for the u23s. I hope he does well but all evidence so far points to him not getting close to this level

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I really really don’t get the love in for Britton. Scored once in a meaningless last 15 minutes on the last day of the season when we were down 3-0. Oh and he scores for the u23s where he is a bit older than the rest of our u23s. 

He has made two matchdays in our worst team in the last 8 years. Been called out by the manager for not being fit enough. Didn’t get a new deal from city in the summer when 4 others of similar age and development did. Scored once in over 300 minutes at national league level when he was there. All that and this guy is going to come change our fortunes? Even if I forgot all that, we are still Bristol City and don’t supply our strikers with much opportunity. 

I am all for young players but I don’t get the love in. How many times do we say stats can be misleading? Yet most of the people saying he should play go look at his goals for the u23s. I hope he does well but all evidence so far points to him not getting close to this level

From the Brentford game it wasn’t just the goal, aerially showed he could compete with people at our level, Brentford’s defenders didn’t like trying to handle him. He’s not a standout age wise at 23’s level it’s just City run with very young u23’s teams, most other clubs he’d still be younger/average age. As for his scoring rate at 23’s it’s not just ‘good’ it was a rate of 4 in every 5 or so last season and ended up top scorer in the 23’s league despite having been on loan for half the season. As for the loan all indications are Stockport fed City a line on being keen and then the manager just bombed him off as soon as he joined despite starting well at Torquay, the skeptic in me wondered whether Stockport wanted to take a cog away from Torquay as they were a promotion rival.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Woking,

what science fiction film was based on the trees in one of the the wooded areas of the town?

Horsell Common is nearby where the Martians first land in  War of the World's. I've been there and it's worth visiting. Very strange place,you can take a bucket and spade and play in the sand pits, there's definitely an 'atmosphere' about the place.

• Like 1

I find it bizarre that some are seeing this loan as the end of his career here.  It seems to me that this is an ideal opportunity to toughen up and see if he can find the required levels physically to play men's football.  League football is very different to an under 23's match. Preparing him for a league loan in a month's time by sending him to a full time club playing against other full time clubs seems to be a good move.  

I see this move as giving him every possible opportunity to have a career here, not the opposite.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well the highlighted line is the point. Has Conway got anywhere near Britton's goal rate?  Played 10 times the number of first-team minutes that LB has, but scored the same number of first-team goals. 

We're a goal-shy club at the moment. I'd rather have a youngster on our bench who doesn't do (or maybe say) the right things in training, but scores goals in games, then someone who trains brilliantly, but doesn't.

If you go down that route, he's the best City goalscorer of all time. A goal every 15 minutes.

A better comparison is at National League South.
Conway 11 games 4 goals
Britton.  10 games 1 goal
Not that that proves much either.
This day and age a striker has to do more than score, but they still rely on chances. I think Conway is the more all round player, but if we were creating and missing chances then I'd throw Britton straight in.  If heyday Gary Lineker was up front for us, he would have the worst season of his career, unless you are Messi you rely on supply. 
I'm not sure about him yet, you always want a goalscorer to succeed and a successful loan at a decent level may kick start something. I hope so.
Over the years I've seen players in the reserves and U23's that I was sure would make it, then they disappear, I'm no judge. Then again there is much more to it than what we see. With luck there will be a TV game to check him out

Assuming Britton plays games out on loan, it should be a good move for him as long as he applies himself.

It's sink or swim time for him. Score goals at that level and he puts himself in the shop window for another loan in January, strengthens his case to remain with us longer-term, or attracts the attention of other clubs for a permanent move away in the summer. Fail and he might end up drifting towards the likes of Gloucester City or Bath City. 

I hope it works out for him. I like natural goalscorers, especially those who can ruffle a few feathers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

From the Brentford game it wasn’t just the goal, aerially showed he could compete with people at our level, Brentford’s defenders didn’t like trying to handle him. He’s not a standout age wise at 23’s level it’s just City run with very young u23’s teams, most other clubs he’d still be younger/average age. As for his scoring rate at 23’s it’s not just ‘good’ it was a rate of 4 in every 5 or so last season and ended up top scorer in the 23’s league despite having been on loan for half the season. As for the loan all indications are Stockport fed City a line on being keen and then the manager just bombed him off as soon as he joined despite starting well at Torquay, the skeptic in me wondered whether Stockport wanted to take a cog away from Torquay as they were a promotion rival.

Put it this way “Jim Gannon” is a swear word in the Britton household.  His dad was not happy with how they treated Louis.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

If you go down that route, he's the best City goalscorer of all time. A goal every 15 minutes.

A better comparison is at National League South.
Conway 11 games 4 goals
Britton.  10 games 1 goal
Not that that proves much either.
This day and age a striker has to do more than score, but they still rely on chances. I think Conway is the more all round player, but if we were creating and missing chances then I'd throw Britton straight in.  If heyday Gary Lineker was up front for us, he would have the worst season of his career, unless you are Messi you rely on supply. 
I'm not sure about him yet, you always want a goalscorer to succeed and a successful loan at a decent level may kick start something. I hope so.
Over the years I've seen players in the reserves and U23's that I was sure would make it, then they disappear, I'm no judge. Then again there is much more to it than what we see. With luck there will be a TV game to check him out

Yep, it depends what type of striker you want.

38 minutes ago, tin said:

Assuming Britton plays games out on loan, it should be a good move for him as long as he applies himself.

It's sink or swim time for him. Score goals at that level and he puts himself in the shop window for another loan in January, strengthens his case to remain with us longer-term, or attracts the attention of other clubs for a permanent move away in the summer. Fail and he might end up drifting towards the likes of Gloucester City or Bath City. 

I hope it works out for him. I like natural goalscorers, especially those who can ruffle a few feathers. 

I like your last sentence!

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, Martin, Weimann, Wells, Semenyo, all ahead of him, Conway likely too…even Janneh.  He isn’t gonna get any minutes with City before January unless Nige sees him being direct cover for Chris Martin.  And imho they are totally different players.

Louis isn’t a target man either, he’s 6ft-plus, but he’s physical in pest-like way, all arms, elbows etc, rather than someone who’s gonna hold the ball up.  He does attack the ball well aerially from the sides, but he’s not someone to pump the ball straight at.

Martin and Britton being different players doesn't necessarily mean they aren't the most convenient pairing to be interchangeable in our side. I'd say they are in terms of presence, physicality and aggression. 

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Martin and Britton being different players doesn't necessarily mean they aren't the most convenient pairing to be interchangeable in our side. I'd say they are in terms of presence, physicality and aggression. 

100%.  Just that some people seem to think they are like for like.  They aren’t….but as you say, that’s not a reason why Louis couldn’t give us a different option to say Conway or Bell.

18 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

He's fit, just not 'nige levels of fit' 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-pearson-bristol-louis-britton-5911617

Seems crazy to loan out a previously free scoring striker, who has played lots of 90's for the under 23s when weve very real issues with options up front. 

One of the 'shirkers' perhaps? 

Anyhoo, strange one. 

But there's a lack of real league experience. If he goes out and starts banging them in, great, but remember: when Tammy came here, he'd scored zillions in youth games, nothing in the real world. We took a gamble to some extent; it paid off. Often it doesn't.

17 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

We are currently blessed with a knackered and misfiring line of strikers all woefully out of form. 

We've sent the guy who has been scoring on loan to someone else. 

That's strange. 

By the same logic, we should grab whoever's top scorer in the Downs league and put him up top

• Like 1

Just now, SecretSam said:

But there's a lack of real league experience. If he goes out and starts banging them in, great, but remember: when Tammy came here, he'd scored zillions in youth games, nothing in the real world. We took a gamble to some extent; it paid off. Often it doesn't.

Ike Ugbo….Barnsley we’re convinced they’d got the next Tammy.  Done alright since but took him time to get going in senior football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

I don't think anyone's talking about making him an automatic starter: he isn't challenging Martin, Weimann, Wells or Semenyo for the first XI.

I just wonder if he couldn't give us a sub option when we want a young player, who can go up front, play without fear and have something to prove. We already sit U23 players on the bench, and if LB scores more than them in those games, it's just possible he should be the young player there.

It's not like we're knocking in a lot of goals this season.  Which is why I wonder if sending the lad on loan is the right thing to do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't think anyone's talking about making him an automatic starter: he isn't challenging Martin, Weimann, Wells or Semenyo for the first XI.

I just wonder if he couldn't give us a sub option when we want a young player, who can go up front, play without fear and have something to prove. We already sit U23 players on the bench, and if LB scores more than them in those games, it's just possible he should be the young player there.

It's not like we're knocking in a lot of goals this season.  Which is why I wonder if sending the lad on loan is the right thing to do. 

No, I totally take your point, but similarly, it's a lot of responsibility and expectation precisely because we're not scoring - if he tries, and fails, that could ruin him.

Better to let him work his way up to Championship standard. Then he'd be ahead of pretty much all our players...

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

No, I totally take your point, but similarly, it's a lot of responsibility and expectation precisely because we're not scoring - if he tries, and fails, that could ruin him.

Better to let him work his way up to Championship standard. Then he'd be ahead of pretty much all our players...

People always say this about young players, but I don't think they are any more likely to be "ruined" than experienced pros by playing in an underachieving and failing team.

We've seen in recent games, younger players excelling while more experienced team-mates look short of confidence and demoralised.

Young players realise they should have a decent career ahead of them. Older players will worry more about the direction of their career, have more responsibilities and many feel they've been there, done it, and already proved themselves. They can be the curious combination of fearful and complacent. 

Anyway, I hope Louis takes the opportunity to prove himself at Woking and returns to City before too long. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I would have been happy to see this any time recently. While he is not a "like for like" for Martin, he would have give fresh impetus in games where Martin has been visibly flagging. I see Britton as more like Tammy or Lineker or Riley (choose your era). Doesn't get too involved in build up too much, but comes alive in the box. As I said, usually gets a strike away, and more often than not  on target. More of a bully than those, but an in the box player. 
`What I would say. Pearson has had him on an individual training regime  ,& playing with U23's. The loan is potentially around 4 weeks, if he plays it's a step up in every way and could prove he has done what Nige wanted. 
We have just come through a spell where, Britton wasn't deemed fit enough, Conway and Semenyo weren't fit. Now Semenyo is back in the squad and there is slightly less urgency for options. He has possibly 6 games, hopefully plays a lot of minutes, gets amongst the goals but most importantly proves his fitness and that he can play at that level.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tin said:

The way I read the article I took it that the league loan is already agreed, and he's going to Woking to get a bit of league match sharpness in advance of that.

1 hour ago, Tafkarmlf said:

There's been loads of times where that's happened, plucked from Non league to pro from Ian Wright, Michael Antonio, Stuart Pearce, Jamie Vardy

Etc

We've done it with Basso, and Bolasie (kinda) amongst others

For every Jamie Vardy there will be about 50 John Akinde's.....

2 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

The way I read the article I took it that the league loan is already agreed, and he's going to Woking to get a bit of league match sharpness in advance of that.

For every Jamie Vardy there will be about 50 John Akinde's.....

Akinde has carved out a pretty decent professional career for himself to be fair.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Selred said:

They actually aren’t. Weimann is the 12th top scorer in the league, Martin is 21st. The issue is service. 

Agree.  12 goals 7 assists in 20 games each is not shabby is it?  Perhaps looking beyond our top 2 scorers to 3rd top with 1 goal is a better place to start.  They are 1st and 2nd for assists too…again next best is 1.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, spudski said:

Imo...Britton is a natural goal scorer.

Unfortunately that isn't good enough at Championship level alone.

Snake is also a natural goal scorer but isn't deemed adequate enough for Championship level. Same can be said of many.

Imo...

Britton could train and play to the best of his ability under the best coaching, but will never reach the levels required, because of the limits on his body type. Some people will never get to a fitness level required to play Championship football, regardless of training.

Same with JET...you find a level you can deal with consistently.

Football at Championship level is all about, running and more running. Is  Britton a better 'natural' goalscorer than Weimann...imo yes...but Weimann can run all day.

The quality of 'football' has diminished over the years in the Championship, however the fitness levels have gone through the roof.

There are many natural footballers lower down the league's that will never make the grade because of limited fitness ability.

Look at Le Tissier...would never get in a championship side these days, regardless of training. 

The simple fact is...regardless of talent, if your body won't get to levels of fitness required, because it has limits, then you won't make the grade.

On a personal note I'd rather watch a team with Jackie, Doc, Noble, Worthington, Le Tissier, JET etc, than a team of Weimanns...but that's the way it's gone.

Would love the lad to prove me wrong...but my eye tells me he can't.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but not the bit about Le Tissier. He was an attacking midfielder rather than an out and out striker who scored a goal in approx every three games. Someone like that would walk into the current City team