IGNORED

Winterstoke road

Quedgeley Exile

I know there is some planned re-design of the road near the ground as part of the new development but that certainly wasn’t making anything fully pedestrianised or one way.

it’s a major arterial route into south Bristol so any mad ideas of making it one way would only send traffic through the residential streets

1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

it’s a major arterial route into south Bristol so any mad ideas of making it one way would only send traffic through the residential streets

Not anymore, traffic is encouraged to use the A370/A38 Link Road 

I think Marvelous would like to do away with those pesky motorcar contraptions. 

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

Not anymore, traffic is encouraged to use the A370/A38 Link Road 

I think Marvelous would like to do away with those pesky motorcar contraptions. 

The city would be much nicer with much fewer cars - more space, cleaner air, fewer accidents. Certain people need to drive (people with disabilities, tradesmen with van loads of tools, delivery drivers etc.), but many journeys can be made walking, cycling or with public transport. 

Granted the public transport system at the moment is not fit for that purpose, but with improvements it could happen. 

• Like 3

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

The city would be much nicer with much fewer cars - more space, cleaner air, fewer accidents. Certain people need to drive (people with disabilities, tradesmen with van loads of tools, delivery drivers etc.), but many journeys can be made walking, cycling or with public transport. 

Granted the public transport system at the moment is not fit for that purpose, but with improvements it could happen. 

When the trade off for using public transport to travel to & from work is 5hours of my day vs 1.5 hours by car I am afraid car will always win out for me.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

As long as you work on or near a direct bus route or are fit enough to cycle in all winds and weather's then fine , but if you work across the other side of the city then the car is the only option.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, myol'man said:

As long as you work on or near a direct bus route or are fit enough to cycle in all winds and weather's then fine , but if you work across the other side of the city then the car is the only option.

No bus goes past my house - and in fact, no service to Bristol goes through my village at all.

Nonetheless, I've decided to use the bus to get to Saturday games.  The time to get to Bristol is about the same as driving, and I don't have the arse-ache of finding a parking space. Plus I have the righteous glow of being eco-friendly- my Greta Thunberg seal of approval.  :laughcont: 

Seriously, it's mainly the parking that persuaded me to use this mode, but it does have some upsides. I am able to get more pints in now, but the extra walking (I disembark at Temple Meads) means I exercise off most of those beer calories.

I'd encourage everyone who can to take the option of public transport and walking, but I do realise that for many fans, for reasons of age, infirmity and disability, this just isn't practical. The Council should give serious thought to these people. It's discriminatory to deny access and parking to all but the worst-case Blue Badge holders. I'm happy with a 45 minute stroll to the Gate in all weathers. If I was 20 years older, it wouldn't be an option. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Is marv’s underground network included in that utopian bubble of yours. 

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

When the trade off for using public transport to travel to & from work is 5hours of my day vs 1.5 hours by car I am afraid car will always win out for me.

It really is Kevin Costner - Build it and they will come.

Unfortunately, it’s looked on the other way, when we get demand we will build it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

Is marv’s underground network included in that utopian bubble of yours. 

We don't need to get an underground to improve public transport - simply an integrated ticketing system would be a start. In any case, I accept there will be some journeys that you need a car for, but I know there are many times that people drive when it's not really necessary. I worked with someone in Weston who used to drive the 1/2 mile to the office. When you consider the time to park and traffic, it'd be quicker to go by bike/about the same time to walk - and reduce congestion. As @Red-Robbo mentions, if more people who are able to get out of the habit of taking the car everytime, it'd make life easier for the people who really need to drive

• Like 1

Sadly Covid has once again hit the public transport option for many people. eg it’s hard to choose to sit on public transport and wear a mask and/or be coughed and sneezed on compared to the safety bubble of your own car. 

I personally am not against cars, but I hate seeing single occupancy cars. Obviously in a lot of cases it can’t be helped but if there are a few people in the car it does surely make more economic sense than paying for all those bus tickets. That’s the thing, the buses are expensive, too expensive compare to cars. And I guess Covid has scuppered car sharing on the whole too for many

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Cycling in Bristol one of the hilliest cities in the country? fine if your fit enough, walking? fine on a nice day for say up to 2 miles, in the rain snow wind etc not so much, public transport ? where do I start, unreliable, too expensive, and not practical for many, as you have said yourself. They have been trying to force (encourage) people onto the buses for years with their ridiculous 2 plus lanes that continue to be deserted whilst the other lane is choc a block, your utopian dream is just that I'm afraid a dream. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I thought the Metro service was supposed to cover most of Bristol from North to South or was that a red herring 

You actually believe what our mayor says????

Seriously, put a system of overhead monorail in place and leave the roads to us motorists and cyclists. 

• Robin 1

On 03/12/2021 at 14:42, pillred said:

Cycling in Bristol one of the hilliest cities in the country? fine if your fit enough, walking? fine on a nice day for say up to 2 miles, in the rain snow wind etc not so much, public transport ? where do I start, unreliable, too expensive, and not practical for many, as you have said yourself. They have been trying to force (encourage) people onto the buses for years with their ridiculous 2 plus lanes that continue to be deserted whilst the other lane is choc a block, your utopian dream is just that I'm afraid a dream. 

Electric bike resolves many of those issues and adequate clothing resolves those issues. I work in the community and cycle all day for around 2 hours and it's a breeze. Not for everyone and I don't really care about people driving, but it's not impossible. Would I **** cycle without electric mind. 

• Haha 1