IGNORED

Used to love "Shoot "

Waconda

20 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I used to get Shoot every week. Regarding the kit I believe that we had white shorts and red socks that season, the black was part of our second strip of white shirts and black shorts, not sure why we ended up with that combination against Man City?

yep think you are right there.

We did have black shorts in the home kit one season though.

Maybe the season after relegation from the First Division ?

I used to love both Match and Shoot, especially the action shots from games. The annuals were always in my Xmas stocking. 

Kits were so much better back then without the sponsors emblazoned on them. 

I like the red and black too. Much better than all red when we play away to teams with white shorts (I know this season there seems to have been a change in rules about clashing shorts). 

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Match and Roy of the Rovers for me.  No surprise to you all, but the “stats” stuff in Match was what differentiated it from Shoot. Once a geek, always a geek.

Yep, I got Roy of the Rovers too. Absolutely loved it. Especially how the players could hear conversations between people in the crowd!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

Wish we wore those colours now. Looks so smart, especially with trim. Much prefer black shorts to white. Not many teams play in plain red shirts and black shorts. Loads in red and white. Think we did around 1982.

Bringing back memories of Big Mick.  I had that kit.  Lush.

Villa’s away kit was nice too.

36924345-82A9-4264-94B0-14DB9F7E32F2.jpeg

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I had that one. Toss up for me between that and the Umbro one as our best ever.  
I agree with the posters saying we should wear black shorts. Red and white lacks identity. I like what Sampdoria do with their plain blue and white…. The stripe makes it unique. We could do similar and claim an identity. 

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Match and Roy of the Rovers for me.  No surprise to you all, but the “stats” stuff in Match was what differentiated it from Shoot. Once a geek, always a geek.

Shoot , Match and Roy of of the Rovers were the highlight of the week for me - along with watching teletext for score updates (waiting for the pages to change).

Roy of the Rovers was great - loved Billy's boots and Hotshot Hamish & Mighty Mouse.

Jesus how the world has changed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I used to get Shoot every week. Regarding the kit I believe that we had white shorts and red socks that season, the black was part of our second strip of white shirts and black shorts, not sure why we ended up with that combination against Man City?

You’ve obviously never had to struggle with getting grass and mud stains out of your whites! ?

Nah, could never beat Charles Buchan's publication ‘Football Monthly’.

Shows I was a trail blazer as an internet football forum contributor and an astute observer of the game that I had a letter published, aged 13, bemoaning (nothing changes there) the fact that the magazine ignored teams from the South West. I highlighted the fact we had talent such as Chris Garland and Trevor Francis. 

Think I received £5 for having the letter published - which was great riches in those days. 

Like another life frankly.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, City37 said:

Shoot , Match and Roy of of the Rovers were the highlight of the week for me - along with watching teletext for score updates (waiting for the pages to change).

Roy of the Rovers was great - loved Billy's boots and Hotshot Hamish & Mighty Mouse.

Jesus how the world has changed.

Remember Goal? Think it came out before Shoot but they ran at the same time for a while.

• Like 2

I was an avid Shoot reader - or 'SHOOT! incorporating GOAL!' as it became some time in the late 70s, I think.

Kevin Keegan and Gordon Hill both wrote regular columns and I remember being thrilled when they talked about their games against us. "Bristol City are too good to go down", Kev assured us, and he was dead right too, as the events away to Coventry a few weeks later were to prove. Happy days.

11 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

I was an avid Shoot reader - or 'SHOOT! incorporating GOAL!' as it became some time in the late 70s, I think.

Kevin Keegan and Gordon Hill both wrote regular columns and I remember being thrilled when they talked about their games against us. "Bristol City are too good to go down", Kev assured us, and he was dead right too, as the events away to Coventry a few weeks later were to prove. Happy days.

I Can remember an advert for Goal done in an American accent. Was something like " Goal the Worlds greatest Soccer Weekly."

unless i'v gone completely mad!!!!!!

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

Anyone remember a weekly / monthly called “Tactics” (I think).  Was A5 size, and did a pass map of John Shaw’s goalkicks one week.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The only problem with black is that we always seem to get relegated when it's in the first strip (last time was 2012-13 when SO'D was manager and we went down). We also went down the season shown in your picture (Mick Harford).

• Like 1