IGNORED

Used to love "Shoot "

Waconda

I've got an original copy of "Foul: the book of football 72-75" a 'best of' of the first football fanzine or "alternative paper" from the early to mid 70s, produced by some Cambridge uni clever clogs.   They had to snip a part of one page out of every copy to avoid being sued by the Sunday People.

Cynical chaps, they called their magazine "Foul" as opposed to things like "Shoot!" or "Goal!" or "Box-entry!" because they thought the game was going downhill from the BestLawCharlton ideal of the 1960s and all the greats before that. They were not impressed by teams like Leeds, or the increasingly "professional" and increasingly coached game with fewer goals.

Not long before Shoot was first published, a neighbour who was a newsagent gave me a publicity/promo copy sent out to retailers to get them to order. The cover (featuring Bobby Moore) and most of the contents, including Free League Ladder and Team Tabs, was the same as the first copy on sale. However what was interesting it also featured comic strips of which the one I remember was Billy’s Boots. Obviously the strips were dropped by the time it got to the shops and Billy’s Boots ended up in Tiger and Jag or another title I think.

I also used to get Goal, and it was always excited when a City player was featured as a Colour poster page. Seem to remember John Galley in one, and Alan Skirton in Shoot.

Did anyone else used to collect the colour shots and put them in those old hard back exercise books like a scrapbook. Found mine the other day. Remember seeing fans outside players entrance trying to get autographs holding these scrapbooks most games.

Also Bubble Gum cards... those were days... jumpers for goalposts and all that.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Favourite food : Steak and chips

Favourite holiday destination : Marbella

Car : Ford Cortina

Pet hate : Being injured

What do you like to do outside of football : Spend time with my family

Every bloody player in the league!

in the late 70s when I was reader-

What famous person would you most like to meet?

9/10 the answer was Muhammad Ali.

Edited by ralphindevon
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, RedRock said:

Nah, could never beat Charles Buchan's publication ‘Football Monthly’.

Shows I was a trail blazer as an internet football forum contributor and an astute observer of the game that I had a letter published, aged 13, bemoaning (nothing changes there) the fact that the magazine ignored teams from the South West. I highlighted the fact we had talent such as Chris Garland and Trevor Francis. 

Think I received £5 for having the letter published - which was great riches in those days. 

Like another life frankly.

As a little kid I bought a bunch of Charlie Buchan Football Monthlies at the local church hall jumble sale. Proudly showed them to my Dad, who responded "Very nice. Now you can take them back... I donated them."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Favourite food : Steak and chips

Favourite holiday destination : Marbella

Car : Ford Cortina

Pet hate : Being injured

What do you like to do outside of football : Spend time with my family

Every bloody player in the league!

Pet hate : "ignorant people" is the one I always remember. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Around 1973 I had the star letter printed in Shoot magazine and should have had a £2 postal order sent in the post for my efforts but it never arrived which angered me for years! I always bought Shoot, Roy of the Rovers and Whizzer & Chips every week?

My sister used to have Whizzer and Chips (which I used to nick before she got to it) and I had Shoot! Light fingered Larry 'ere wasn't averse to wandering off with a Look In, Topper, Beezer, Dandy, Beano or whatever other mag came withing touching distance in them days. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

My sister used to have Whizzer and Chips (which I used to nick before she got to it) and I had Shoot! Light fingered Larry 'ere wasn't averse to wandering off with a Look In, Topper, Beezer, Dandy, Beano or whatever other mag came withing touching distance in them days. 

As well as Shoot I also got "Warlord" the war story magazine.See the source image

Edited by VT05763

4 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Great memories all those years ago and sadly technology has taken away the joy of going to the newagent to pick up your favourite comics on a week end.

2 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Around 1973 I had the star letter printed in Shoot magazine and should have had a £2 postal order sent in the post for my efforts but it never arrived which angered me for years! I always bought Shoot, Roy of the Rovers and Whizzer & Chips every week?

I used to love Whizzer and Chips. And Whoopee! I think they merged at some point. Sweeney Toddler was my favourite character. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Derek Hale’s (Charlton) answers:

image.jpeg.a8ccd60c3937f84769c2643a5a528927.jpeg

Guessing he didn’t want to do it!

Think he was a notorious misery, remember that him & his long standing strike partner Mike Flanagan couldn’t stand each other & had to be separated after squaring up to each other in one game.

9 minutes ago, Offside said:

I used to love Whizzer and Chips. And Whoopee! I think they merged at some point. Sweeney Toddler was my favourite character. 

Me too, my first comic.

11 hours ago, Mendip City said:

I had that one. Toss up for me between that and the Umbro one as our best ever.  
I agree with the posters saying we should wear black shorts. Red and white lacks identity. I like what Sampdoria do with their plain blue and white…. The stripe makes it unique. We could do similar and claim an identity. 

Eh? Sampdoria hardly wear ‘plain’ and ‘unique’ blue and white if you’re including the ‘stripe’ (hoop?) - zillions of clubs wear blue shirts and white shorts - Sampdoria ain’t special ... 

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Eh? Sampdoria hardly wear ‘plain’ and ‘unique’ blue and white if you’re including the ‘stripe’ (hoop?) - zillions of clubs wear blue shirts and white shorts - Sampdoria ain’t special ... 

try reading that again… I’ve said the stripe makes it unique. If it didn’t have the stripe/hoop what would it be? Plain blue. All I’m saying is City could do something similar so we stop looking exactly the same as forest, Charlton, Swindon, Barnsley etc etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1