IGNORED

Euro 2020 final report- grim reading

sticks 1969

6 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Yeah, I totally believe everything The Guardian say - I bet the journos were delighted Italy won.

Well, I just listened to the news and they said the same thing. However, no doubt in your mind it's all made up and every person there that day was a gentle, kindly salt of the earth types who wouldn't hurt a fly.

Because the Guardian lies. Whereas the Scum, Daily Heil, etc...

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

Well, I just listened to the news and they said the same thing. However, no doubt in your mind it's all made up and every person there that day was a gentle, kindly salt of the earth types who wouldn't hurt a fly.

Because the Guardian lies. Whereas the Scum, Daily Heil, etc...

You've just made things up that I haven't said. The News want to sell headlines and by making out in came near to deaths it certainly does sell and grab people's attention. 

I didn't say that the actions of a minority wasn't disgraceful, but I get the sense the News and the journalists just love this - another way to put down those god awful English football fans.

You also mention the Scum, Daily Heil. I assume you mean The Sun and Daily Mail - Both I also ignore. :) 

15 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Yeah, I totally believe everything The Guardian say - I bet the journos were delighted Italy won.

Do you appreciate they, and other media outlets, are simply reporting the conclusions of the independent Casey review of the events? Only your comment suggests not.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

You've just made things up that I haven't said. The News want to sell headlines and by making out in came near to deaths it certainly does sell and grab people's attention. 

I didn't say that the actions of a minority wasn't disgraceful, but I get the sense the News and the journalists just love this - another way to put down those god awful English football fans.

You also mention the Scum, Daily Heil. I assume you mean The Sun and Daily Mail - Both I also ignore. :) 

I don't necessarily disagree that media, regardless of their position on the political spectrum, exaggerate headlines for clicks. Though in fairness, The Guardian didn't say that it nearly caused deaths. Louise Casey who undertook the investigation made that claim and The Guardian just reported it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

So are you saying Louise Casey's 129 page report was a lie, or that the Guardian were lying about what was in it when they were quoting from it?

Why are you suggesting journalists wanted Italy to win?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, 2015 said:

No they are quoting the review itself:

Unprecedented disorder at the Euro 2020 final was a “near miss”, with deaths and life-changing injuries only narrowly avoided, according to an independent report into events described as a “national shame”....

"However they were let down by a horde of ticketless, drunken and drugged-up thugs who chose to abuse innocent, vulnerable and disabled people, as well as police officers, volunteers and Wembley staff, creating an appalling scene of disorder and coming perilously close to putting lives at risk."

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2015 said:

You specifically said "The Guardian" were lying.

And "The News" were literally quoting an independent expert's report. And doing their job - to report news.

As for "God awful English football fans", I didn't say they were England fans. Or even football fans. But hey, it's me making up things you didn't say...

• Like 1

Baroness Casey makes clear it was only a minority of England fans involved in violence and illegality, and that conclusion is echoed in every story I've read about her report.

Nonetheless, we can't play down the scale of the problem that evening.  My sister-in-law and her bloke go to virtually every England game and they said they'd never seen anything like it. It was a throwback to the bad old days of the 70s and 80s, but with added cocaine. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Baroness Casey makes clear it was only a minority of England fans involved in violence and illegality, and that conclusion is echoed in every story I've read about her report.

Nonetheless, we can't play down the scale of the problem that evening.  My sister-in-law and her bloke go to virtually every England game and they said they'd never seen anything like it. It was a throwback to the bad old days of the 70s and 80s, but with added cocaine. 

It is always - and was always - only a minority who caused bother. Thankfully.

I think the point made in the report about treating really high-profile games as a separate level of risk is probably right - it transcends the 'normal game' rules, becoming something beyond the boundaries of the sport. No doubt the same happens with other mass events.

And there needs to be more done outside grounds - sounds like it was absolute bedlam in the approaches to the Stadium.

Still, I read the Guardian, what do I know? ?

• Like 1

Just now, SecretSam said:

It is always - and was always - only a minority who caused bother. Thankfully.

I think the point made in the report about treating really high-profile games as a separate level of risk is probably right - it transcends the 'normal game' rules, becoming something beyond the boundaries of the sport. No doubt the same happens with other mass events.

And there needs to be more done outside grounds - sounds like it was absolute bedlam in the approaches to the Stadium.

Still, I read the Guardian, what do I know? ?

Yep. To be honest, it seems a pretty level-headed response outlined in the report.

Lady Casey notes there may be a danger future games will be over-policed. Something all fans know can create more problems than it tries to solve.

Calling for extra care to be taken in the planning for such high-profile and highly anticipated games is common sense.  Sometimes you need someone external to point out the common-sense approach. 

• Like 1

It was chaos there all day and like I said in another post that 2000 is way way of the mark 

Wembley was rammed and official attendance was 66 k 

the trouble is if they catch the ones who got in how many are actually season ticket holders or normally go to games  so what do you ban them from ????

for the second biggest game of football in the world after the World Cup final it was poorly organised from start to finish 

I don't need the press to tell me, I saw it all plasted over social media. Disgusting scenes and behaviour and the FA and government should have immediately withdrawn from the world Cup bid. Let's be honest after those scenes it is dead in the water anyway.

• Like 1

The thing is there was a taste of things to come a few days earlier at the semi final. I arrived just after 5pm thinking there would be a few hundred people milling around, there were already tens of thousands, many drunk and not able to hold their drink. 

That was a weekday, it didn’t take a mastermind to work out how many would turn up 8 hours before the game on Sunday. 

A 3 o’clock kick off would have been much better, that extra 5 hours of drinking time was an accident waiting to happen.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 2015 said:

So do I, it absolutely concurs with everything I witnessed on the day, perhaps slightly underplayed if truth be told! I left the ground somewhat relieved that Italy had won…because I was very worried that many would not be safe if we had… Certainly the Wembley staff were

6 minutes ago, David Brent said:

That’s on people who can’t handle their drink. Naive of me to think that people can control themselves perhaps but other fans seem capable, generally.

The odd thing about the semi was I lost count of the people I saw collapsed or being violently sick with still an hour or 2 to kick off. 
Probably the biggest game of football they had ever been to and they weren’t going to remember it even if they did manage crawl their way in. Unbelievable!

More than 2000 ticketless fans got in. I think it was probably ten times that. There were really no empty seats ( and there should have been 250000),some fans with tickets could find nowhere to sit and the lads behind me were standing 2 to a seat.

I don’t think anyone with a ticket went to cause trouble. To be fair, the people around me who’d forced their way in were as good as gold during the game. Problem was the presence of thousands of morons outside who were pissed and drugged up. And it was bad- really really  bad. I was at the Gate throughout the 70’s and have been going to England away since Euro 88 and this really was as bad as I’ve seen.

Baroness Carey’s done a good job- aside from the questionnaire ( sent to all ticket holders) which to me seemed bizarrely obsessed with questions about witnessing racist behaviour when, God knows, there was plenty of other criminality to report.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

The thing is there was a taste of things to come a few days earlier at the semi final. I arrived just after 5pm thinking there would be a few hundred people milling around, there were already tens of thousands, many drunk and not able to hold their drink. 

That was a weekday, it didn’t take a mastermind to work out how many would turn up 8 hours before the game on Sunday. 

A 3 o’clock kick off would have been much better, that extra 5 hours of drinking time was an accident waiting to happen.

Totally agree with what you say there was already talk at the semi of people getting in for nothing so when we went to the final I thought security would have been Stepped up so got there early and didn’t drink that much