IGNORED

Joe Williams out until January

Unan

• The title was changed to Joe Williams out until January

I don't want to be pessimistic but, in the games Williams has managed for us, he has probably proven to be our key player. It's no coincidence that we looked better against Blackburn and Stoke than we did in the games where Williams was missing before or at Sheffield United. Keeping our heads above water until January now looks a tougher ask. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't want to be pessimistic but, in the games Williams has managed for us, he has probably proven to be our key player. It's no coincidence that we looked better against Blackburn and Stoke than we did in the games where Williams was missing before or at Sheffield United. Keeping our heads above water until January now looks a tougher ask. 

Absolutely right. But the tougher task is looking more like mission Impossible.

29 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Hopeful that one if both of James and King will be back next week.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, frenchred said:

bloke is made of glass, let’s hope he’s not another who finally gets fit then does one.

sell him as soon as he is fit

10 minutes ago, maxjak said:

He's broken, he needs sending back to the manufacturer?.............Will he ever be fit?  Such a shame, because he has a brilliant football brain, but his body can't keep up?

Before he came to us he played a lot, and consistently. 3,000, 2,500, and then 3,000 minutes in the three prior seasons. Across 30+ apps each time. The max in the Championship is 90x46 = 4,140. So he managed somewhere between 60 and 75% of the minutes, consistently.

Screenshot_20211203-155700_Chrome.jpg.16f793d129b7afa0eb07f734d80a7f7c.jpg

He was aged 21, 22, and 23 in those seasons.

I suggest that tells you it's not his body that's fragile per se. Rather something has changed in his time with us.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Hopeful that one if both of James and King will be back next week.

Dave, I wonder what he’s (NP) is going to do in midfield tomorrow following our discussion after last Sunday. 
Also, I worry that one possible solution this month is the return of an injury-prone 33 year old who I often forget is on the field. 

1 minute ago, firstdivision said:

Dave, I wonder what he’s (NP) is going to do in midfield tomorrow following our discussion after last Sunday. 
Also, I worry that one possible solution this month is the return of an injury-prone 33 year old who I often forget is on the field. 

If he persists with 352 I think it will be a case of Semenyo for Benarous, with Weimann going into midfield.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Before he came to us he played a lot, and consistently. 3,000, 2,500, and then 3,000 minutes in the three prior seasons. Across 30+ apps each time. The max in the Championship is 90x46 = 4,140. So he managed somewhere between 60 and 75% of the minutes, consistently.

Screenshot_20211203-155700_Chrome.jpg.16f793d129b7afa0eb07f734d80a7f7c.jpg

He was aged 21, 22, and 23 in those seasons.

I suggest that tells you it's not his body that's fragile per se. Rather something has changed in his time with us.

Am I right in thinking that Williams came to us with an injury?

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

bloke is made of glass, let’s hope he’s not another who finally gets fit then does one.

sell him as soon as he is fit

Piss poor comment. And let's face it, you knew that too, but you still posted  it.

Finally gets fit and then does one.  wtf?

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 4

We seem to have plenty of midfield players. But our first choice picks are seldom fit. So we seem to be holding the midfield together with sellotape. Which then gives front line no supply and then does no defensive support to defense. So we all at sea from kick off each game. Other than when Williams is fit and can play and we look ok. 

I really think the rest of the season is not going to be a good watch 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Am I right in thinking that Williams came to us with an injury?

I believe his first injury was sustained in one of his early training sessions with us.

His signing was announced on 20 August 2020.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/welcome-williams-midfielder-arrives-in-bs3/

His next mention in OS news articles is from the Swindon pre-season report on August 29th when it said "City were unable to call on ... Joe Williams (thigh) and Liam Walsh...". He isn't mentioned in the news around the two other two pre-season games v Cheltenham (day after he signed, and Villa on the 26th August.

Bloody hell bloke has cheese strings for hamstrings. However he is probably our best midfielder and that really isn’t saying much.

We were also told by Pearson that Dave Rennie was our most important signing of the summer, we seem to have had again a number of injuries to key players.

Let’s hope we have a few cards up our sleeves for the January window but feel it will be underwhelming.

7 hours ago, Porto Red said:

Most self-contradictory post I've ever read

Also I love the idea that clubs are going to be queuing up to pay a fee for a player under contract with massive questions marks over his injury record. I can only assume @frenchredplans to transfer list him, click the “add a manager” button to take over some unsuspecting premier league club, blow the club’s entire £15 million transfer budget on Williams, loan a couple of players to us whilst he is at it and then click the “resign from club” button the second the deal is done.

Unfortunately that tactic is way more effective on Football Manager than it is in real life…

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

We were also told by Pearson that Dave Rennie was our most important signing of the summer, we seem to have had again a number of injuries to key players.

Considering we have now changed the coaching set up and therefore you would assume what the players are doing in training and Rennie has a proven track record, so you have to say we are now either very unlucky or the problem is with certain players.

Williams is a very good player, but can't now see him being more than a bit part player for us, even when he comes back psychologically will always be worried about the ham string going again 

Shown in his limited games this season that he’s a player we would love to have in the team but we must be approaching the point when we realise that relying on him to stay fit for a significant period is optimistic at best.

Real shame but makes a lot of sense now to plan without him & if he does improve his availability record that is a bonus.

Not sure I accept the comment above about expecting him to play “95 minutes 3 times a week” is accurate, so far this season the only occasion when he has managed to feature in 3 consecutive games he was a sub in the first (26 minutes), played 70 in the next & one of only two full games this season in the third.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

... and if this was Nathan Baker he’d be ignorantly slagged off relentlessly as being ‘always injured’ - I just think we should afford our best defender the same ‘slack’ as we give other players rather than get on his back all the time ...

1 hour ago, Slippin cider said:

He’s almost up with Baker for being injured, bad luck for the pair of them . :yawn:

Always one

• Haha 1