IGNORED

Derby County at home match-day thread

3 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

The more sensible comments have already been made . The 3 points were essential . The inability to make simple passes and keep the ball is making us chase shadows . Our weaknesses are well known , some of the bright spots will only get better .  A season of transformation and avoiding relegation ( we will not be relegated ) but the lack of basics makes us a tough team to watch . 

it seems there are some incoming in Jan and the summer plans mean a lot of change before next season . Cannot come fast enough . 

Agreed, it is the inability to pass the football that means we hang on in the second half every time we are ahead and this is mistranslated by so many as Nige instructing them to sit back. Why would you tell a team that defend as badly as we do to sit back. You would have to be totally cuckoo to do that. Amazing that people miss this. I think he brought on James yesterday to try and rectify that and it made a difference, not massive but a difference nonetheless.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Some thoughts from 20 mins viewing:

Why does Bentley cut across so many clearances, ending up in a slice and no distance

Why does he kick with a slice too.

Just drill / drive the ball…lower.

Add poor positioning and rash risks to that, first half Derby attack he pushed past defenders and flapped to get back realising his mistake, lucky for him they were more shite than us!

55 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

The more sensible comments have already been made . The 3 points were essential . The inability to make simple passes and keep the ball is making us chase shadows . Our weaknesses are well known , some of the bright spots will only get better .  A season of transformation and avoiding relegation ( we will not be relegated ) but the lack of basics makes us a tough team to watch . 

it seems there are some incoming in Jan and the summer plans mean a lot of change before next season . Cannot come fast enough . 

I have wondered how many are will arrive in January and if they are already agreed. I also suspect not more than three in with maybe two leaving us.

At the moment our good spells during games are too short to control the outcome of the match. And while our current practice of long clearances from goalkeeper almost always result in another spell of defending, we cannot control the way the match goes.

@billywedlock

10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I have wondered how many are will arrive in January and if they are already agreed. I also suspect not more than three in with maybe two leaving us.

At the moment our good spells during games are too short to control the outcome of the match. And while our current practice of long clearances from goalkeeper almost always result in another spell of defending, we cannot control the way the match goes.

@billywedlock

It wouldn't be so bad if 7 or 8 out of 10 of Bentley's long punts went anywhere near their intended target. He seems more like a 3 or 4 out of 10 to me. In addition, when they do "hit the target" the target is normally a 5'8" player being marked by someone who is 7ft tall. Three decent players in may not seem like a huge amount but would make a massive difference to us.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

It wouldn't be so bad if 7 or 8 out of 10 of Bentley's long punts went anywhere near their intended target. He seems more like a 3 or 4 out of 10 to me. In addition, when they do "hit the target" the target is normally a 5'8" player being marked by someone who is 7ft tall. Three decent players in may not seem like a huge amount but would make a massive difference to us.

I sit directly behind the South Stand goal so get a good view of his accuracy. It's quite good with most aimed at Martin. The problem is that Martin wins the glancing header but the ball goes to a defender and we're then defending the next attack. A never ending cycle.

We need to play shorter passes to back three or midfield and keep the ball for longer periods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I sit directly behind the South Stand goal so get a good view of his accuracy. It's quite good with most aimed at Martin. The problem is that Martin wins the glancing header but the ball goes to a defender and we're then defending the next attack. A never ending cycle.

We need to play shorter passes to back three or midfield and keep the ball for longer periods.

We most definitely do, I agree with that, but we don't have the personnel to do it. Bakinson and Massengo simply don't have the tools to be taking balls from the Goalkeeper or Centre Halves with men right up their jacksie. In addition our Centre Halves are not good enough on the ball to have it back and do something constructive with it, under pressure, either. If we play short AT THE MOMENT it will end up being banged long in any event. Just like it was when we played Blackburn when Bentley did go short at times. The current squad of fit players we have available to us can't play, simple as that, and Pearson is taking the pragmatic approach in the meantime.

• Flames 1
6 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Once again, nice win! Good that COD at last plays well, Semenyo brings alternative in offensive play. So far we have been fighting for every point we taken, when our midfielders are fit think we can be more comfortable. In Scott we have a real player. Derby was not good but we did win and think it shows that we got something. COYR 

Only seen the goal and Quest, but what Semenyo gives you is the strength back to goal to roll his man off of his touch.  He is then too strong to be challenged without a foul.  It is one of the reasons I advocate him playing more central (many disagree with me, that’s cool, he hasn’t delivered there yet).  If he hides the ball and then looks to go back to the midfield the chance doesn’t come about.  But yesterday it was his move that created the goal, gave Weimann the chance to be the runner, and ultimately Scott times his run nicely.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Only seen the goal and Quest, but what Semenyo gives you is the strength back to goal to roll his man off of his touch.  He is then too strong to be challenged without a foul.  It is one of the reasons I advocate him playing more central (many disagree with me, that’s cool, he hasn’t delivered there yet).  If he hides the ball and then looks to go back to the midfield the chance doesn’t come about.  But yesterday it was his move that created the goal, gave Weimann the chance to be the runner, and ultimately Scott times his run nicely.

Longer coverage highlights here on Youtube

• Thanks 2

I don’t care how we win games this season, or if we’re good for just 45 mins. This season is literally about consolidating our position in the championship and let NP make the changes required in the summer (and January if he can).

I think we will be ok as PBoro and Barnsley are worse than us. A low bar but I do feel we will be better next season.

Edited by RUSSEL85
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, Offside said:

I thought first half we were decent. We pressed them well and should have taken those chances. God knows why Derby persisted in playing themselves into trouble.

Second half was the usual problem of standing off and failing to keep hold of the ball. Some of our passing was dreadful and it was a dire watch. Thankfully Derby created very little.

Very happy with 3 more home points and another clean sheet. 

I think, surprisingly, you're the only one who has mentioned this!

Derby had a bizarre insistence on playing the ball out from the keeper instead of going long. And when the kept failing to break the lines and consistently lost the ball to our good pressing, they kept persisting with the tactic. Weird. 

That, by the way, is why the possession stats are in their favour; they were fannying around in their own box, trying to play it out.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, mozo said:

I think, surprisingly, you're the only one who has mentioned this!

Derby had a bizarre insistence on playing the ball out from the keeper instead of going long. And when the kept failing to break the lines and consistently lost the ball to our good pressing, they kept persisting with the tactic. Weird. 

That, by the way, is why the possession stats are in their favour; they were fannying around in their own box, trying to play it out.

…….and we let them have it. Few of the tactical geniuses on here seem to have grasped that. That’s why the first half was 5 shots to NIL in our favour despite 35% possession whatever that means these days.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

…….and we let them have it. Few of the tactical geniuses on here seem to have grasped that. That’s why the first half was 5 shots to NIL in our favour despite 35% possession whatever that means these days.

As I mentioned up-thread, it reminded me of the way Leicester won the Premier League. Given that we are never going to match the resources of the parachute clubs, and are unlikely to be able to afford a team capable of dominating games it seems to me like a valid tactical approach. I'd like to see us persist with it. Sod the possession stats. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

As I mentioned up-thread, it reminded me of the way Leicester won the Premier League. Given that we are never going to match the resources of the parachute clubs, and are unlikely to be able to afford a team capable of dominating games it seems to me like a valid tactical approach. I'd like to see us persist with it. Sod the possession stats. 

Quite right. If we have 35% possession but win every game it doesn’t matter. 

Pearson was asked in his first interview what type of football he would be getting us to play. His answer: “winning football”. 

Obviously that’s not been the case until lately but perhaps we’ve turned a corner and this is what he meant. 

22 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Indeed.

Derby’s passing network yesterday:

013DDA5A-7975-4133-9C08-8022E6F60C45.jpeg.8cecbb369ec282d605de5bcf20074042.jpeg

82% of possession away from our final third.

Thicker the black line the more passes between those players, basically keeper and back-four dominating passing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

We do need to do that. But at the moment don’t have the personnel or confidence and maybe the ability to do it!  

Having James Williams and King fit and in the center would help. Unfortunately we have Bakinson and Massengo who will get bullied off the ball, thus we go longer. 

However for my tuppence Pearson likes to play a certain way, which I can see is starting to take shape with the gradual return of Semenyo. 

Yesterday Scott and Odowda both had very good games and there wing/outside play should have had us up 3/0 at ht. 

Derby were a weak side with the exception of their winger had a bad first 45. Still I see green shoots with us  and I’m hopeful with better finishing and decision making will have a much better second half of the season 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed.

Derby’s passing network yesterday:

013DDA5A-7975-4133-9C08-8022E6F60C45.jpeg.8cecbb369ec282d605de5bcf20074042.jpeg

82% of possession away from our final third.

Thicker the black line the more passes between those players, basically keeper and back-four dominating passing.

That is a great graph that sums up Derby’s “threat” perfectly yet people act as though 65% possession means they battered us. Stats are useless when interpreted by idiots!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thought first half we were decent- the goal and I liked the quick breaks which we should have made more of, at least one more goal- the Martin miss the one that should have been.

Lack of possession is a recurring theme but another recurring theme is the lack of the 2nd goal- you just never know at 1-0, not that I thought Derby posed a huge threat there were a couple of nervy moments.

This improved home form- or set of home results is welcome, but still so much to do- not least reintegrate the injured players back in but on that note was very pleasantly surprised to see James back- didn't think he would have been yesterday, but he is good in possession but also has that experience and leadership that Massengo and Bakinson just do not have- or do not yet have.

I'm confident we can stay up anyway.

• Like 1

we are past my halfway target with a couple of games spare and the added bonus of  peterborough and barnsley looking more and more unlikely to get to 40 points  let alone 50. all good in my books,. cant see second set of 23 games being any easier tho,some of the teams weve beat are either flying now or will be scrapping for their lives, having said that, i think we can and should nick more points off midtable teams

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
Just now, redsquirrel said:

we are past my halfway target with a couple of games spare and the added bonus of  peterborough and barnsley looking more and more unlikely to get to 40 points  let alone 50. all good in my books,. cant see second set of 23 games being any easier tho,some of the teams weve beat are either flying now or will be scrapping for their lives, having said that, i think we can and should nick more points off midtable teams

Exactly ? 

If we can push for 30 points by game week 24 or 25, then we're well on track.

2 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

It’s bordering on a statistical freak now, but against the bottom six we have 15 points from 5 games. From the top six we have 8 points from 6 games (surprisingly good). From the middle 12 teams we have the grand total of 3 points from 10 matches. 7 defeats and 3 draws. If our form against that middle block was a point a match we would be in the play offs.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, cityexile said:

It’s bordering on a statistical freak now, but against the bottom six we have 15 points from 5 games. From the top six we have 8 points from 6 games (surprisingly good). From the middle 12 teams we have the grand total of 3 points from 10 matches. 7 defeats and 3 draws. If our form against that middle block was a point a match we would be in the play offs.

I'm fairly sure that in a couple of the seasons under LJ where we were hovering just below the playoffs, our form against the middle teams was excellent but the form against the very top and bottom was awful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

So we're guaranteed to beat Hull then lose to Huddersfield?

• Confused 1