IGNORED

Pitch Invader

richyy66

3 hours ago, RedM said:

I agree. By booking the player it seems harsh, but it also discourages them from getting involved. If a pitch invader thinks he can approach a player who gets wound up and retaliates it will be all over social media and the player would most likely come off worse. 

What if that player was already on a yellow card?

Is a sending off harsh, but acceptable?

Approaching an opposition player already on a yellow in the hope of getting him/her sent off is the sort of misguided judgements these lunatics would make, and it could well alter the outcome of the match. Best thing for the players to do is take a breather and leave it to the officials to deal with, unless of course they are defending themselves.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

What if that player was already on a yellow card?

Is a sending off harsh, but acceptable?

I’m not saying I agree with the booking, just trying to explain why I think the Ref did it. Would be interesting to see if he just decided to do that himself or had guidance come in a previous Ref training session. However he has now set a precedent so unless they are given guidance it may happen again. 

On 09/12/2021 at 10:48, The Batman said:

It's started to get a bit more common now for some reason. Some knobhead started dressing up in rugby kits and ran on the pitch during national anthems in the recent internationals. Plus it's gathering momentum in football too. Don't get it. What is the point?

Attention seeking 

Something doesn't add up for me.

I get that in normal circumstances pitch invaders can be a bit of a laugh... and in this case it was thankfully.

But unfortunately we live in days of a heightened terrorist threat. We all had to wait and queue up to get into the ground so we could be scanned by a metal detector in case we were carrying a weapon (or worse)*.

Despite this home fans still managed to smuggle in a flare. 

And an away fan manages to stroll nonchalantly on to the pitch and wander around for the best part of a minute before anyone reacts. 

In this case, he was just an attention-seeker. But as Dollymarie rightly says in this thread, what IF he was carrying a weapon? What IF he actually wanted to cause harm to a player or anyone in the stadium?

Either the security is tight, or it isn't. Either fans are allowed on the pitch, or not. If we are searching for weapons on entry then surely we should have plans in place to stop their possible use inside the actual stadium. If stewards aren't allowed to stop intruders then who exactly is?! Do we wait until a player or supporter is actually harmed before doing anything? (Maybe it is because we don't want a large police bill, and don't want to ask young people on a minimum wage to risk their safety – see the Euro final chaos at Wembley - I don't know).

I don't have the answers, but it all seems a bit half-assed and about ticking boxes rather than actually providing proper security. And worryingly – God forbid - seems set up for something to go badly wrong at some point.

* Next week, in addition to getting scanned we will also have to be separately checked for a vaccination pass – imagine someone telling you that would be part of the match day experience just 24 months ago! This isn't a political comment btw, if it keeps us all safe then it is the right thing to do. It does feel strangely dystopian though.

Edited by whoklldredrobin
  • Like 1