IGNORED

Chris Martin

Redandproud

Didn't think he played that badly, yes he probably should have put that chance away but he was involved in the build up of the goal (as he is for lots of goals this season). Had some neat flicks and touches throughout the 1st half which contributed to some decent play, if Semenyo was more match fit you would have taken Martin off instead.

• Like 4

There seems to be a strange obsession with trying to remain negative after winning this season. 
Sometimes the way we play and lack of decent service doesn’t do him any favours. It wasn’t one of his better games today but he worked his socks off and was part of a decent team display and much needed win. Can’t ask for much else surely?

• Like 14
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, redsocks said:

Needs a rest.give wells a chance.gets slated every game on here but if hes not given a run of games from the start why slag the bloke.done more when he came on today than martin did all game.

I was being a bit flippant, but the reality is a lot of people probably wouldn't even have one of Martin, Wells, Weimann, or Semenyo starting the majority of our games in an ideal world, let alone at least two of them.

Martin has played every game, with 5 goals and 4 assists. I actually think that's as decent a return as could be expected. Not great, but decent.

Wells has about 40% of the mins, and 1 goal 1 assist. That's probably a bit unfair on him as it obviously takes time to get up to speed, arguably especially for a striker, but I think "give Wells a chance" isn't really fair either - he's had lots of chances.

Definitely disagree he did more than Martin today. I thought Martin actually looked better than he has for a bit (even given his poor miss). More balls into his feet, some neat flicks round the side, and chasing into the channels which isn't his game and probably not what he wants to be doing. It was a 6 / 10 for me, maybe a 7 at a stretch, and that's fine.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 3

Pearson has decided on a certain style of play, one he thinks will get the most out of our limited resources.

This style of play requires a physical presence up front. Martin is the only who can provide it.

It ain't pretty. And it doesn't get the best out of Martin either. But he's been asked to play a certain way and he gives it 100%, even though he knows, and Pearson knows, it's not playing to his strengths. 

Picking Weimann and Wells together, or one of them up front on their own, would require us to play inch perfect pass and move attacking football. How do you think that would turn out???

90 minutes on the back foot, that's how. 

Our style of play will improve in time, probably with very few of the current squad still here. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

What has that bloke got to do to get dropped, rubbish today,clear goal chance,and blasted it wide, maybe NP should rest him, but he won't, first on team sheet for Huddersfield (A)

Nige probably won’t rest him and I would wager his credentials in understanding football are somewhat better than yours.

"I thought Chris Martin was excellent, I don’t think he lost a header" - NP

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I thought he won an awful lot of flicks ons today.

I know he missed that chance and has no speed but I thought he held it up well at times.

I didn’t see the first 70 mins today but Nige was very complimentary post-match, said he won all his (most) of his headers.

• Like 1

Don’t think it was a coincidence we stretched an opposition defence today (yes I know they are ancient) with Semenyo playing centrally. Suddenly teams have to beware of balls behind them.  I think he’ll be key going forward but Martin could quite conceivably partner well with him, holding play up / playing AS in behind

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

What has that bloke got to do to get dropped, rubbish today,clear goal chance,and blasted it wide, maybe NP should rest him, but he won't, first on team sheet for Huddersfield (A)

Thought he played his role well today, did what he’s being asked to do well. Pearson singled him out for praise after match. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Nige probably won’t rest him and I would wager his credentials in understanding football are somewhat better than yours.

"I thought Chris Martin was excellent, I don’t think he lost a header" - NP

That just about sums up our playing style....oh dear

He did ok today. He certainly wins a lot of aerial duels, and I’m sure DaveFevs will have the stats to back that up. 

I was thinking the other day about his inclusion this season. I’m really rather surprised that he has started EVERY game (and I think only be subbed of 2 or 3 times). That’s more minutes than I thought he’d be getting. 
But - I think I know why. 

Our main attacking tactic is to get throw ins and launch them in. It’s generally Martin who is the target of that throw (as we’ve established, he wins his fair share aerially). I think that without him, we lose any ability to win these aerial throws. 

Also, I note that our set up at defensive corners has him as one of the 3 ‘key’ men. 
We line up with Martin, Kalas & Atkinson (or Baker if he’s in) along the 6 yard line. We then have 4 ‘blockers’ attempting to prevent the attacking runs. 
The 3 on the 6 yard line are essentially the main ball-winners and those expected to defend the corner and get their head on it if it’s in their area. 

I can see why Pearson is so keen, as he’s pretty much key in both those areas. And whilst I don’t actually like our defensive corner set up, I think I’m right in saying we haven’t conceded from a corner this season? Fevs? 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

That just about sums up our playing style....oh dear

Go back to the start of the season.

What style of play would you have spent pre-season drilling into us, given the resources available at that point? 

No-one is enjoying our current style. Pearson is simply being pragmatic, until such time he has the opportunity to make meaningful changes. 

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

44 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

I thought their keeper got a touch on it TBH, haven't seen the replay yet though. Hell of a save if he did!

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I thought their keeper got a touch on it TBH, haven't seen the replay yet though. Hell of a save if he did!

Just a bad miss (I think), but hardly the first or last striker to make a Horlicks of a good chance and generally did well. As others have said, able to come a bit deeper with Semenyo stretching them behind and he’s decent facing the opposition goal. He’s not perfect, but we’ll need to make do until doubtless we pick up Mitrovic and Solanke in January on frees. 

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Just a bad miss (I think), but hardly the first or last striker to make a Horlicks of a good chance and generally did well. As others have said, able to come a bit deeper with Semenyo stretching them behind and he’s decent facing the opposition goal. He’s not perfect, but we’ll need to make do until doubtless we pick up Mitrovic and Solanke in January on frees. 

Just watched the sky highlights and I still reckon their keeper touched it. I can't remember if we were given a corner though. 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/bristol-city/12486525/bristol-city-1-0-derby

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Just watched the sky highlights and I still reckon their keeper touched it. I can't remember if we were given a corner though. 

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/bristol-city/12486525/bristol-city-1-0-derby

My memory may well be failing me, but on BCTV think they also showed an angle that was straight on to the goal and from there looked like he just dragged it wide. No corner (… from memory). 

59 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

Is this the same bloke , Wayne Rooney said about in his post match press conference . 
Chris Martin caused us problems all day , he uses his body really well. He’s a very good player. 

Is that the same bloke you’re moaning about ? 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1