IGNORED

Chris Martin

Redandproud

Chris Martin isn’t the player you want to be chasing long balls into the channels towards the corner flag. Have a quick search on youtube of Martins goals/assists in his time at Derby. Thats how he should be used but we don’t have the players to use him that way. Shame because as a wall to pass off on the edge of the area he could be very useful.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Harry said:

Also, I note that our set up at defensive corners has him as one of the 3 ‘key’ men. 
We line up with Martin, Kalas & Atkinson (or Baker if he’s in) along the 6 yard line. We then have 4 ‘blockers’ attempting to prevent the attacking runs. 
The 3 on the 6 yard line are essentially the main ball-winners and those expected to defend the corner and get their head on it if it’s in their area. 

I can see why Pearson is so keen, as he’s pretty much key in both those areas. And whilst I don’t actually like our defensive corner set up, I think I’m right in saying we haven’t conceded from a corner this season? Fevs? 

I had planned to do a “The Little Things” twitter analysis thread last week on defensive corners, but was so disappointed last weekend I postponed it.  It will be making its way onto Twitter on Monday.

Yes, essentially 1 goal conceded…O’Hare for Cov….from a headed clearance.

Look out in twitter on Monday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Chris Martin has done well. Not his fault we haven’t replaced Diedhiou and not his fault the service to him is dire. He has scored important goals and important assists. He is definitely not the problem IMO. But also not the answer going forward. 

Lack of creativity is something Nige mentioned in a recent interview and its no surprise when James King and Williams are all missing thru injury. He’s having to use inexperienced guys in Scott, Bakinson and Massengo - all decent players but obviously lack the same level of know how.

When everyone is available we’ll see a far more experienced midfield with more creativity for the likes of Martin, Wiemann and Semenyo.

The  second half of the season should be more thrilling.

Edited by Robbored

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Go back to the start of the season.

What style of play would you have spent pre-season drilling into us, given the resources available at that point? 

No-one is enjoying our current style. Pearson is simply being pragmatic, until such time he has the opportunity to make meaningful changes. 

I hope so.

Can't imagine Man City, Liverpool or Chelsea needing to rely on a lump of a centre forward to win long ball headers up top.

Probably best to keep on the floor for decent football.

To the OP dream on if you think he’s going to be left out.

We have no midweek games now so if Pearson wasn’t going to rest him when we were playing 3 games a week, he sure isn’t going to now.

His general game was good today, poor miss though & for a side that creates relatively few chances we needed with his or Semenyo’s to go in.

8 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Can't imagine Man City, Liverpool or Chelsea needing to rely on a lump of a centre forward to win long ball headers up top.

I don’t disagree.

But we don’t have De Bruyne, Salah, Kante and so on.

We have a collection of misfits who week on week demonstrate an inability to pass the ball.

The manager saw this in the summer and decided the most pragmatic way of grinding out results in the short term was something a little more direct and physical.

It's a short term fix. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

I hope so.

Decent football on the deck when you have the players that can pass as well as keep hold of the ball. Not sure why how we play is relevant to how the top 3 in the prem play though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

There seems to be a strange obsession with trying to remain negative after winning this season. 
Sometimes the way we play and lack of decent service doesn’t do him any favours. It wasn’t one of his better games today but he worked his socks off and was part of a decent team display and much needed win. Can’t ask for much else surely?

We lost today right?

• Haha 1

I'd have given Weimann a poorer rating than Martin on today's showing. Invisible near most of the game aside from the cutback for Martins missed chance, was a step off the pace the entire 90.

As others mention, if Antoine was match fit I reckon Martin would've gone off for Wells.

• Like 1

Made the point on another thread but.

Having Semeno link well and take on his man, made me realise how poor Andi has been with regards to his general play the last 5 or so games, irrespective of goals.

May very well be he just needs a rest but, was seeming invisible for huge parts of the game today.

Once Tanner is fit, if we could play Antoine, Scott, Martin, that could be something to keep an eye on. Would then be a case of Martin leaving end of season, and possibly getting a new target man, more mobile maybe - if - we can get rid of some deadwood.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I didn’t see the first 70 mins today but Nige was very complimentary post-match, said he won all his (most) of his headers.

I can’t remember an aerial dual he lost today. 

He really shouldn’t be playing the amount of games he is at the moment at his age but I think he is still an important player to have at the club while we are bringing through a few of the younger players. His experience and professionalism will be key to their learning and at this level their are not many players who have been better. Pretty sure I read somewhere he is the 4th top goal scorer ever in championship football.

I hope we can bring in a new striker in January of a similar ilk to Martin but realise that is probably clutching at straws.

10 hours ago, David Brent said:

Pearson said he played well. Good enough for me. 

Hardly going to come out and say he was shite.

He needs to be an option to play now and again not every week.

Edited by Super

9 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I don’t disagree.

But we don’t have De Bruyne, Salah, Kante and so on.

We have a collection of misfits who week on week demonstrate an inability to pass the ball.

The manager saw this in the summer and decided the most pragmatic way of grinding out results in the short term was something a little more direct and physical.

It's a short term fix. 

I agree and not only that it is a short term fix that looked a lot better with Semenyo, whatever people's thoughts on him, up there alongside him. Yes, they missed chances but if someone can tell me the last time we created FOUR presentable chances like that in a single half of football I'm all ears. The problem is not Chris Martin, full stop, it's Chris Martin with nobody alongside him that has a bit of pace.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Fuber said:

Made the point on another thread but.

Having Semeno link well and take on his man, made me realise how poor Andi has been with regards to his general play the last 5 or so games, irrespective of goals.

May very well be he just needs a rest but, was seeming invisible for huge parts of the game today.

Once Tanner is fit, if we could play Antoine, Scott, Martin, that could be something to keep an eye on. Would then be a case of Martin leaving end of season, and possibly getting a new target man, more mobile maybe - if - we can get rid of some deadwood.

For 90% of that game Weimann had a total shocker yesterday. I think he would admit that himself if you spoke to him.

12 hours ago, 054123 said:

I thought he won an awful lot of flicks ons today.

I know he missed that chance and has no speed but I thought he held it up well at times.

I saw a stat on Football league World (or something like that) very recently that had Chris Martin listed as having won the most headers of anyone in the whole championship so far this season. 

Edited by Bar BS3
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I saw a stat on Football league World (or something like that) very recently that had Chris Martin listed as having won the most headers of anyone in the whole championship so far this season. 

Maybe we play the most long balls.

Yesterday’s match showed what he can offer us, with someone powerful with pace along side him.  IMO, watch other matches where we’ve struggled and he’s out numbered when the ball flys up to him, yesterday He had a partner to that worked with him.  The movement 1st half was very good and TBO it should of been game over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Pearson has decided on a certain style of play, one he thinks will get the most out of our limited resources.

This style of play requires a physical presence up front. Martin is the only who can provide it.

It ain't pretty. And it doesn't get the best out of Martin either. But he's been asked to play a certain way and he gives it 100%, even though he knows, and Pearson knows, it's not playing to his strengths. 

Picking Weimann and Wells together, or one of them up front on their own, would require us to play inch perfect pass and move attacking football. How do you think that would turn out???

90 minutes on the back foot, that's how. 

Our style of play will improve in time, probably with very few of the current squad still here. 

Spot on.

Until we have a group of footballers who can consistently play the standard of football that’s needed in the Championship we'll have to put up with Capn Dan waving his hands together and then taking a long punt.

Like the post about Vyner my guess is that Capn Dan and Vyner et al have orders to lump it forward for Martin to wrestle the opponents central defenders.

Are those the tactics of a Championship winning side? Or how Nige has operated before? Probably not but if we haven’t got footballing footballers on the pitch what options are there?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

There seems to be a strange obsession with trying to remain negative after winning this season. 
Sometimes the way we play and lack of decent service doesn’t do him any favours. It wasn’t one of his better games today but he worked his socks off and was part of a decent team display and much needed win. Can’t ask for much else surely?

It's what happens when people spend the time leading up to the game saying that we're rubbish and will lose (see the first couple of pages of the matchday thread as an example).

When they're proved wrong they can't just accept it so have to find something, anything, to cling to.

• Like 4