IGNORED

Young guns

mozo

A massive well done to Alex Scott for not only being the only one of our forward minded players to take his chance, but also loads of good touches and even tackles and interceptions that helped us on our way.

I also though Semenyo was a menace throughout.

I know our young players were criticised for Sheff U debacle and so well worth praising their output v Derby. 

Well done lads!

• Like 16
  • Flames 1

I wish our other players had the same composure on the ball. While Veneer constantly kicks it as far as he can to the opposition goalie or our out play and Weimann can't make a 5 yard pass, Scott, takes the ball down, looks up and passes along the ground to. someones feet.

For an 18 year old in his 5th or 6th game, he also loves a challenge and getting stuck in which is great to see.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Alex Scott is certainly looking to be a very good player. Let’s hope he stays so we can appreciate his skills in a City shirt and, maybe, give us the stardust to help us into the Prem. 

The likes of Scott and Benarous have given us fans something to get behind. For all the crap, almost unwatchable, football we play (by necessity tbh) it at least feels as though the fans get right behind the team in home games right now and that's an improvement over the last 2-3 years. I think the selection of BOTH youngsters the other week was unwittingly a masterstroke by Pearson. If Conway gets fit hopefully he will make an appearance or two too.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Will be interesting to see what happens when Tanner returns.

Does Scott move into Weimann's position?

James back now too.

Then how about when Williams returns and if (big if!) he can stay fit.

Scott has played well at right wing back so he might stay there.

This is what we want competition for places. Exciting as the confidence is building now we have found a system that works.  Alex for me is a CM the kid has it all.  Skillful, intelligent etc etc…. 

• Like 1

With Baker & King unavailable & James only fit enough to be sub, it was a relatively young starting 11 yesterday, with just Martin & Weimann over 30.

With Scott, Atkinson, Vyner, Semenyo, HNM & Bakinson all starting & Pring on as a sub, clear signs of building for the future.

• Like 7

Alex Scott is showing a maturity beyond his years. He scored the winner, he battled all the time but my abiding memory is when he took the ball off a Derby player near the touchline close to the Dolman/South corner in injury time. And then bought a free kick by stopping with the Derby player right up his back.

Result? Free kick which used up at least a minute before Bentley took it.

These younger players are leading the older ones by example to safety!

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Alex Scott is showing a maturity beyond his years. He scored the winner, he battled all the time but my abiding memory is when he took the ball off a Derby player near the touchline close to the Dolman/South corner in injury time. And then bought a free kick by stopping with the Derby player right up his back.

Great comment. I think the young guns are playing to impress and are a great talent for our future. They seem to play with less pressure than the old guys.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

With Baker & King unavailable & James only fit enough to be sub, it was a relatively young starting 11 yesterday, with just Martin & Weimann over 30.

With Scott, Atkinson, Vyner, Semenyo, HNM & Bakinson all starting & Pring on as a sub, clear signs of building for the future.

I just wish people would remember that you will get inconsistent performances from the younger players. Another Sheffield United and we are #leagueoneatbest. :facepalm:

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

The emergence of players like Scott and Benarous have been the highlight of this season. 

As others have said, Alex Scott’s maturity has been really impressive, especially considering he’s been played in an unfamiliar position in the last few games.

He has so many attributes - skill, composure, an eye for goal and he’s got a tough edge as well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mozo said:

A massive well done to Alex Scott for not only being the only one of our forward minded players to take his chance, but also loads of good touches and even tackles and interceptions that helped us on our way.

I also though Semenyo was a menace throughout.

I know our young players were criticised for Sheff U debacle and so well worth praising their output v Derby. 

Well done lads!

Where are all the square peg, round hole comments yesterday….ah, we won.

He’s a massive talent.  Not seen a 18 year old (in fact he was 17 when making debut and start of this season) look so confident at this level in a City shirt since another 17 year old - Lloyd Kelly.  He understands the game, that is a massive advantage for him.  Nige can play him out of position and he can still impact a game in all areas of the pitch.

As for when Tanner is back, then I think we need to see him in a flatter three in midfield, let’s not rush him into a no10 position where he can get lost.  We need to get him on the ball.  Centre Midfield is his position, it’s where he also plays for Eng u19s.  In the centre of the pitch he can influence 360 degrees, he can get on the ball.  The more touches a player like Alex Scott gets, the more likely we are to play better football, the more likely we are to build attacks and control more of the game.

Excited.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, mozo said:

Whilst Scott would undoubtedly prefer a position further forward and central, I think this experience will be a very productive learning process for him. His defensive nous and tactical understanding will be much improved.

You’re right it’s important. But a player like him I want to see in an attacking position eventually 

4 minutes ago, David Brent said:

You’re right it’s important. But a player like him I want to see in an attacking position eventually 

Eventually being the key word. I think Dave is right in that at number he will be expected to supply a pass or a goal every time he gets the ball, the temptation to try something that is not on might be too much and damaging. I think that happens a bit with Bakinson.

I love the old head on young shoulders aspect of his game. The way he won a free kick on the touchline as we were looking to run down the clock, the sense to change position as the full back became more of a winger, all apparently without having to be told.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s a massive talent.  Not seen a 18 year old (in fact he was 17 when making debut and start of this season) look so confident at this level in a City shirt since another 17 year old - Lloyd Kelly.  He understands the game, that is a massive advantage for him.  Nige can play him out of position and he can still impact a game in all areas of the pitch.

As for when Tanner is back, then I think we need to see him in a flatter three in midfield, let’s not rush him into a no10 position where he can get lost.  We need to get him on the ball.  Centre Midfield is his position, it’s where he also plays for Eng u19s.  In the centre of the pitch he can influence 360 degrees, he can get on the ball.  The more touches a player like Alex Scott gets, the more likely we are to play better football, the more likely we are to build attacks and control more of the game.

Excited.

Yeah, love your comments there ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Excited.

You are bang on Dave, I seen him as a 10, however reading this and with him playing at wing back, he could be the most complete midfielder this club has every seen.   I really believe that!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Fantastic bit of play - immensely frustrating if you're an opposition player or fan. I know he's a talent, but I can't help thinking the U23s/U18s are being taught to play the game two levels up from most of the first teamers.

3 hours ago, billywedlock said:

It is the future. If we are building a team for promotion in 2/3 years, it will be with the likes of Scott, Benarous, Semenyo, Conway , with newer young signings like Atkinson and Tanner. We will always have a few experienced players, but any real challenging in this league will be due to developing these young players. Some will be first team starters, others part of the 24 player squad. The interesting phase now will the next signings we make. Indications suggest more in the style/profile/age of Tanner and Atkinson. Hey this is what we started to do a few years ago, then got lost . It is exciting, though we will need patience as younger players make mistakes . But  if they learn in a way it seems they are, it is a very exciting (maybe frustrating at times) phase for the club. 

Good shout this however I would like to go to the likes of Stamford bridge and the West Ham stadium without a Zimmer frame

1 hour ago, Bodiesaffer said:

You are bang on Dave, I seen him as a 10, however reading this and with him playing at wing back, he could be the most complete midfielder this club has every seen.   I really believe that!

Scott will end up in his preferred position soon enough. It is fantastic that not only has an 18 year old kid led the way in showing others how you do a "job for the team" when picked to play out of position there is no doubt that the experience will make him an even better player in his favourite position. It's a win/win for everyone. Sometimes you see a kid who literally "doesn't give a flying ****" about the situation he finds himself in and has both the desire and the mental strength to PUSH HIMSELF on. Rather than moan that he's been picked to play out of position he's got on with it and showed people what he can do. See my comments on Massengo in terms of PRODUCING and then look where Scott is in a couple of years time. Does Alex Scott need a Manager to motivate him? Of course he doesn't - his motivation is simply to get to where he's going.........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

The likes of Scott and Benarous have given us fans something to get behind. For all the crap, almost unwatchable, football we play (by necessity tbh) it at least feels as though the fans get right behind the team in home games right now and that's an improvement over the last 2-3 years. I think the selection of BOTH youngsters the other week was unwittingly a masterstroke by Pearson. If Conway gets fit hopefully he will make an appearance or two too.

It reminds me of the darkest hours in the Fourth division when we struggled to get a team together and relied on old pros  , students and cast offs to fulfill our league obligations but these players were committed and Sir Terry Cooper fashioned a team to be proud of, which we identified with and Supported. 
Largish Nige’s Ted and White Army.

:dancing2:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Fantastic bit of play - immensely frustrating if you're an opposition player or fan. I know he's a talent, but I can't help thinking the U23s/U18s are being taught to play the game two levels up from most of the first teamers.

The great thing is now that opposition players will be told that they can't make contact with him because he buys fouls, which in turn gives him space. They can't win.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, grifty said:

Weimann can't make a 5 yard pass ...

Surely you realise that is a pretty ridiculous thing to say? One example - Weimann’s sublime vision and class execution to find Wells for the winner at QPR - it was a pass of the highest order and just one of countless examples - your statement is sadly another sweeping generalisation and another in the long line of crassly dismissive posts that are found on here - some of our supporters seem to love smashing down our players with just a few words which they believe sum up that player entirely - when they are clearly incorrect 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Surely you realise that is a pretty ridiculous thing to say? One example - Weimann’s sublime vision and class execution to find Wells for the winner at QPR - it was a pass of the highest order and just one of countless examples - your statement is sadly another sweeping generalisation and another in the long line of crassly dismissive posts that are found on here - some of our supporters seem to love smashing down our players with just a few words which they believe sum up that player entirely - when they are clearly incorrect 

Countless examples of passes of the highest order from Weimann? I'll have what you are smoking. If you think he's composed on the ball you are clearly incorrect.

My point wasn't to knock Weimann as a player, it was to show the excellent composure of an 18 year old player with half dozen senior games under his belt compared to a number of other first teamers with well over a hundred senior appearances in Vyners case, and over 200 of Weimann. Weimann has plenty of positive points which merits his place in the team, but his composure on the ball is not one of them. He'll do great things (Cardiff volley, that pass for Wells you mentioned), but there's plenty more examples of him skying the ball (v Derby, although was a tough chance) or awful passes which unfortunately outnumber the examples of passes of the highest order you've made up.

But he's not in the team for his passing ability.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grifty said:

Countless examples of passes of the highest order from Weimann? I'll have what you are smoking. If you think he's composed on the ball you are clearly incorrect.

My point wasn't to knock Weimann as a player ...

You posted “Weimann can’t make a 5 yard pass” ... yet you think I’m smoking something if I disagree with you and you ridiculously claim that statement isn’t you ‘knocking Weimann as a player’ - Andreas Weimann has played nearly 400 games in this country, all of them at Premier League and Championship level, he’s also represented his country on 41 occasions - footballers don’t tend to do any of that if they “can’t make a 5 yard pass” ...

2 hours ago, grifty said:

My point wasn't to knock Weimann as a player, it was to show the excellent composure of an 18 year old player with half dozen senior games under his belt compared to a number of other first teamers with well over a hundred senior appearances in Vyners case ...

... and now you think Vyner has made “well over a hundred senior appearances”  - do you mean for City? Cos he hasn’t - I’m not including loans 

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You posted “Weimann can’t make a 5 yard pass” ... yet you think I’m smoking something if I disagree with you and you ridiculously claim that statement isn’t you ‘knocking Weimann as a player’ - Andreas Weimann has played nearly 400 games in this country, all of them at Premier League and Championship level, he’s also represented his country on 41 occasions - footballers don’t tend to do any of that if they “can’t make a 5 yard pass” ...

I don't think you're smoking something because you disagree with me, I think you're smoking something because you think there are countless examples of passes of the highest order from Weimann.

I'm not knocking Weimann as a PLAYER. It's his passing ability and composure which is being shown up by and 18 year old. I've even said in my post that "Weimann has plenty of positive points which merits his place in the team" but my original post was that I wish some of our other players had the sort of composure on the ball that Scott is showing at such a young age.

You need to read the whole post rather than cherry picking a few words out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

... and now you think Vyner has made “well over a hundred senior appearances”  - do you mean for City? Cos he hasn’t - I’m not including loans 

It doesn't matter if YOU'RE not including loans. MY point was Vyner has made over a hundred senior appearances. He has made 147. That is over a hundred.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1