IGNORED

Rob Atkinson

Port Said Red

I thought he had a really good game yesterday. Having 3 defenders against a team that hardly had a striker, meant that he was able to play almost as a 2nd left back/wingback yesterday.

He showed the pace that Dave Rennie was talking about in his interview earlier in the season, in dealing with Derby's nippy winger, and he made some really good runs forward too. 

Probably my man of the match yesterday.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Got more to his game than Baker imo. That left of the 3 suits him. Was very impressive yesterday

I thought that the half time changes Derby made (and were not announced to the crowd), wss because their "false 9' system was allowing the defenders too much freedom to come forward.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought that the half time changes Derby made (and were not announced to the crowd), wss because their "false 9' system was allowing the defenders too much freedom to come forward.

Me too, but although he gave them a focal point, Kazim Richards was pretty poor second half.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Henry said:

Got done a few times in the first half, but kept their winger more quiet as the game went on.

I think if Baker had played, he would put their winger in the stands and risked a red card.

Did he? A few? I remember one occasion where the winger was able to get a cross in which Bents scooped up at the near post. 

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Did he? A few? I remember one occasion where the winger was able to get a cross in which Bents scooped up at the near post. 

Maybe done is over the top. I meant he had him running at him and got into our box. As the game went on, he stopped him higher up the pitch.

Have to say I’m not completely convinced by him (yet) but I think that’s because as a whole we have been shaky defensively this season (near the bottom for clean sheets, for example). However this is his first season in the Championship and there is undoubtedly potential for a very good player there - big, quickish and decent on the ball. I’m sure he will get better the more he plays.

Edited by steveybadger

I'm really pleased with the Atkinson & Tanner signings, and excited to see where Atkinson can go.
I said a couple of months ago, I see him as similar to Webster. He's still young, still raw, but has all the attributes to really progress into that ball playing CB role. Add Vyner ( if he can get back to previous form) and there is the basis of a good young defence for the future .