IGNORED

Vyner: no longer interested?

MelksRed

Watching the game yesterday there were a couple of times that Vyner stepped away from his man to enable them to attack. That (and the fact that he seemingly watched as much of the game as I did at times) suggests that he no longer has any interest in being here.....thoughts?

Edited by MelksRed
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

Watching the game yesterday there were a couple of times that Vyner stepped away from his man to enable them to attack. That (and the fact that he seemingly watched as much of the game as I did at times) suggests that he no longer has any interest in being here.....thoughts?

Thoughts? OK, my thoughts are that you are either (a) pissed, (b) on the wind up, (c) irredeemably stupid, (d) all of the above. Complete bollocks.

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

Maybe slightly harsh. I think he is interested (why wouldn't he be, this is the highest he'll ever play) but he doesn't have the football intelligence, concentration or ability required for this level. 

He's about a midtable League One player at best imo. Not the worst defender but probably the worst footballer at the club. At League One you can get away with not being able to pass the ball to team mates provided you can defend well at that level, see, and to a much lesser extent than Vyner, Derrick Williams. 

• Like 1

Confidence. Or lack of.

Vyner has all the technical and physical attributes to be good enough at this level. Strength, quick enough, good feet, can pass. He’s looked excellent with the ball at his feet  in one or two games in the holding midfield role. Very poor in others. 

What he lacks is assertiveness, aggression, and self belief……and that is going to prevent him improving and being really effective at this level. 

Many a good player technically has fallen down in terms of mentality, and I fear he’s going to be another. We’ve also seen many less technically good players who have made it just because they DO have the right mental attributes.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

My thoughts are you couldn't be more wrong if you deliberately went out of you way to be. He is lacking massively in confidence.

• Like 3

I thought he just had one of those days yesterday where things didn't go right at times. Once he shanked one pass, it just seemed to play on his mind and it kept happening.

But players are allowed to be in and out of form, and I am sure he will be back to his best soon if he keeps playing and we can keep winning.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought he just had one of those days yesterday where things didn't go right at times. Once he shanked one pass, it just seemed to play on his mind and it kept happening.

But players are allowed to be in and out of form, and I am sure he will be back to his best soon if he keeps playing and we can keep winning.

Spot on, he wasn’t at his best yesterday but one thing I won’t accuse him of is a lack of effort, he loses concentration occasionally but that’s not the same thing at all.

For where we are he’s a very useful squad man, whether he stays in the side long term under Pearson is up for debate but really only guesswork.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

I don’t want to dwell too much on the negatives after yesterday but I don’t see how his performance suggests he has no interest in being here? 

For me it’s one of two things. Confidence and the fact he’s not up to this level. His lack of concentration means he usually makes mistakes in games and this effects his confidence. If he gives away the ball early on in a game, or gets caught out positionally (which is far too often) then it seems to set the tone for the rest of the game, he can’t seem to get back in the zone and becomes very sloppy.

On the plus side we still kept a clean sheet, he can hit a sweet ball/diag which is an asset for our current style of play. I would be very surprised if he’s part of NP’s long term plans though.

Is Vyner a poor player? No.

Is it a position we need to upgrade? Yes.

His ability to play 3 different position, CB, RB and RM - maybe not to the first team, week in week out standard - is a very useful player to have in the squad.

Dare say if money wasn't such a challenge then it would be an area when a Championship ready player would have been sought out, but the fact is, we have Tanner who, when fit, will likely start - and he hadn't played at this level before.

Zak is one to keep for me.

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Vyner had a dreadful last 25 minutes and just seemed to lose confidence but to suggest it’s down to attitude is wrong imo. Such a frustrating player as can excel on occasions but you always fear he’s got a mistake or two in him.

Probably the most balanced assessment of him on this thread.

He reminds me of Matt Hill in that his crosses or passes can be spot on or end up hitting the corner flag. Consistency is all he is lacking.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Confidence. Or lack of.

Vyner has all the technical and physical attributes to be good enough at this level. Strength, quick enough, good feet, can pass. He’s looked excellent with the ball at his feet  in one or two games in the holding midfield role. Very poor in others. 

What he lacks is assertiveness, aggression, and self belief……and that is going to prevent him improving and being really effective at this level. 

Many a good player technically has fallen down in terms of mentality, and I fear he’s going to be another. We’ve also seen many less technically good players who have made it just because they DO have the right mental attributes.

I agree with all of this. I think he’s a good footballer but, for me, he has a mistake in him and makes them far too often. Coventry away was the perfect example of this. He was excellent up there in the first half and looked a real player, then ended up getting the wrong side of his man, bringing him down and giving away the pen.

Yesterday I thought he did okay in the main in his defensive work. Yes he dropped off his man a few times but overall he was solid, for me anyway. It was his distribution at times that let him down v Derby, he just kept giving the ball away. And I think that comes down to the lack of confidence you mention. 

Vyner looks destined to me to be that promising academy player who never quite progresses to the top level because of the confidence and concentration issues he clearly has. But to say he’s not interested, as the OP suggests, is unfair and ridiculous in my opinion. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jacki said:

I agree with all of this. I think he’s a good footballer but, for me, he has a mistake in him and makes them far too often. Coventry away was the perfect example of this. He was excellent up there in the first half and looked a real player, then ended up getting the wrong side of his man, bringing him down and giving away the pen.

Yesterday I thought he did okay in the main in his defensive work. Yes he dropped off his man a few times but overall he was solid, for me anyway. It was his distribution at times that let him down v Derby, he just kept giving the ball away. And I think that comes down to the lack of confidence you mention. 

Vyner looks destined to me to be that promising academy player who never quite progresses to the top level because of the confidence and concentration issues he clearly has. But to say he’s not interested, as the OP suggests, is unfair and ridiculous in my opinion. 

Carey had the same traits early on mind.. 

• Like 1

The reality is that collectively the whole team panic when we're under pressure & end up giving the ball away far too easily.  When HNM 1st joined us his passing was very "safe", always a short pass, however over time he seems to have moved away from this.  Has he been encouraged to do this or has he a) not got confidence in his team mates or b) decided ball retention isn't the English way??.

Not surprisingly, players whose passing is usually a bit hit & miss, struggle even more when the mass panic sets in.

Really it should have been 3 nil at half time & Derby hardly threatened us all game so not too much to grumble about for me.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Is Vyner a poor player? No.

Is it a position we need to upgrade? Yes.

His ability to play 3 different position, CB, RB and RM - maybe not to the first team, week in week out standard - is a very useful player to have in the squad.

Dare say if money wasn't such a challenge then it would be an area when a Championship ready player would have been sought out, but the fact is, we have Tanner who, when fit, will likely start - and he hadn't played at this level before.

Zak is one to keep for me.

my thoughts exactly,very useful player to have being able to slot in anywhere if needed. Zac probably knows he got a future here so long as he puts in a shift when required.  first time i saw him was a rb against brighton,improved loads since then

Edited by redsquirrel

After one of his early slice passes, Pearson signalled for him to come down. He had a couple of decent passes, but majority were bad.

However, I criticised people who have praised his distribution to make up for his errors. For me, his job is to defend and the last few games he’s improved in that area. That’s his first and main job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MelksRed said:

Some what disagree on this . He is still quite young at 24 years old. He has a great build and stature and is around 6 foot 2. Not sure what we originally bought him before but it would be a lot less than what he is worth now on the market in the next transfer window. Most sites have in valued at 1.9 mill.

He could be playing in a position a bit out of his comfort zone. NP has faith him and he is playing the lad in these positions for a reason.

Please do not right him off Melks and I do not think he would be playing if he was not being interest in being here. The team around him has a major factor as most of the 8 out of 11 seem to be in limbo at the moment.