IGNORED

Vyner: no longer interested?

MelksRed

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My point is why aren’t the other defenders getting stick yesterday?  Kalas is ambling for their first two goals?

If we're doing blame the last man, then Scott completely failed to stop Sinani getting his shot off for the second goal - despite being about 6 inches away from him.

TBH Vyner always seems to have mistakes in him, and when you play in defence, those mistakes can be costly. 

I can also recall him putting in an inch-perfect 40-yard crossfield pass to Martin and making a couple of crucial blocks, so it isn't all bad stuff on ZV's report card.

Ultimately, you want better options.  Yesterday, I'm not sure we had them. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My point is why aren’t the other defenders getting stick yesterday?  Kalas is ambling for their first two goals?

Is Kalas good at tracking and marking (in open play) generally? I'm convinced he's not.

Of course that supports your suggestion that Kalas deserves stick. He does. And Vyner really does. And Atkinson especially does.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Let's not knock Zack. You watch the season highlights and 9 times out of 10 he will be our closest defender to the opposition goal scorer.

Get him on the right side of that opposition goal scorer and we will have the makings of a cracking defender.

He might be the closest defender but watch how he continually backs off. Any decent defender that is scared of pace would be trying to get the opposition player onto their wrong foot. 

He's 24 now, since his full debut in 2016 he's had enough chances to change but he's always got a mistake in him.

• Like 2

Bottom line is. I don’t think any of our players are top half Championship quality.

Vyner is a symptom and not a cause.

I’ve read on here that people think we have very good players.

but who are they? Because they don’t turn up on a Saturday at Ashton gate or a Tuesday in Sheffield.

one game in ten to ‘put a shift in’ isn’t good enough.

There’s no leadership on the pitch. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, red84 said:

He might be the closest defender but watch how he continually backs off. Any decent defender that is scared of pace would be trying to get the opposition player onto their wrong foot. 

He's 24 now, since his full debut in 2016 he's had enough chances to change but he's always got a mistake in him.

Exactly. I'd be interested to see if there are metrics out there to measure mistakes resulting in goals conceded, because I suspect Vyner would be right up there. 

Sure, he wasn't alone in a woeful defensive display on Saturday. But, as you say, he's had more than enough chances now and never seems to learn from his mistakes. For that reason, he won't ever have a future at this level or above. In many ways, he's not much different to Taylor Moore in that regard. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

Bottom line is. I don’t think any of our players are top half Championship quality.

Vyner is a symptom and not a cause.

I’ve read on here that people think we have very good players.

but who are they? Because they don’t turn up on a Saturday at Ashton gate or a Tuesday in Sheffield.

one game in ten to ‘put a shift in’ isn’t good enough.

There’s no leadership on the pitch. 

Sadly very true. There’s lots of talk about inconsistency (either the team or individual) but actually inconsistency is just a symptom of not being good enough at the relevant level. 

• Like 2

My problem with Towler is that in his spell at left back in the first team was that I did not see him play a forward pass. It was all shape up to play down the line or look for a central pass through the thirds but he appeared to lack confidence to ensure an accurate outcome so came back on his inside to play a left footed pass either square or backwards. At the time this type of play was driving us all mad due to the lack of penetration and slowing down of progress upfield.

He looks more like a central defender to me and surely must be behind Pring, O'Dowda and even daSilva who have far more experience and ability to play wing back.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

My problem with Towler is that in his spell at left back in the first team was that I did not see him play a forward pass. It was all shape up to play down the line or look for a central pass through the thirds but he appeared to lack confidence to ensure an accurate outcome so came back on his inside to play a left footed pass either square or backwards. At the time this type of play was driving us all mad due to the lack of penetration and slowing down of progress upfield.

He looks more like a central defender to me and surely must be behind Pring, O'Dowda and even daSilva who have far more experience and ability to play wing back.

Pretty much a case of playing as safe as possible….which I don’t blame him having been thrown into first-team action.