IGNORED

Stewards at the end of games

Gumpster1

I just wanted to moan about the role and perceived priorities of the Stewards.

I sit in the Dolman but I expect that this applies to other parts of the ground. A steward will stand at the top of the steps near the entrance/exit to the concourse for 85 minutes. They rarely have anything to do after kick off, bar occasionally having to tell a paying customer they can’t take a drink to their seat. In fact more often than not the Stewards get in the way of fan’s views and need to be reminded to move and will always do so in good humour.

However what really annoys me is that 5 minutes from time fans will start to leave their seats and hover by the exits, blocking the view of fans willing to stay in their seats until the end. At this point where are the Stewards? They have been moved to the perimeter to stop the regular pitch invasions we have at Ashton Gate.

If ever there was a time for effective ‘stewarding’ it’s at the end of the game yet they go awol from the time and place they are needed most.

10 minutes ago, Gumpster1 said:

I sit in the Dolman but I expect that this applies to other parts of the ground. A steward will stand at the top of the steps near the entrance/exit to the concourse for 85 minutes. They rarely have anything to do after kick off, bar occasionally having to tell a paying customer they can’t take a drink to their seat. In fact more often than not the Stewards get in the way of fan’s views and need to be reminded to move and will always do so in good humour.

However what really annoys me is that 5 minutes from time fans will start to leave their seats and hover by the exits, blocking the view of fans willing to stay in their seats until the end. At this point where are the Stewards? They have been moved to the perimeter to stop the regular pitch invasions we have at Ashton Gate.

If ever there was a time for effective ‘stewarding’ it’s at the end of the game yet they go awol from the time and place they are needed most.

To be honest, I can’t blame them getting pitch-side at the end of the game.

Given their comical demonstration of total absense of fitness and pace when ‘chasing’ our pitch invader yesterday, they certainly can’t risk giving anyone the chance of a head start!!! 

ps, was it only me that though that chase looked like it was in slow motion??

• Haha 2

As a counter balance to the OP (and not to denigrate their comments about people blocking views by leaving early), I had positive interactions yesterday with our stewards. Our bag was searched and the steward saw our selection of grub and commented to my 9 year old that it looked really nice, then at the end of the game another wished us well as we were leaving and thanked us for coming (unprompted). A copper also apologised for getting in our way coming out and patted my lad on the head, while the young lady who served  us in the shop was very friendly.

All little things but they helped make it an enjoyable day. Not forced ‘customer service’ but genuine, so credit where it’s due.

• Like 17

Yes, on the whole I agree Stevey. The Stewards are pleasant enough. I can’t imagine that they get paid a great deal and theoretically could have to get involved in stressful situations.

Other than abandoning their post at the final whistle I only have had one bad experience with Stewards and that was the Head Steward. The grey haired guy who walks around with the clipboard. Not a fan!

As with many organisations, the higher you get the more unpleasant the personalities are.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gumpster1 said:

I sit in the Dolman but I expect that this applies to other parts of the ground. A steward will stand at the top of the steps near the entrance/exit to the concourse for 85 minutes. They rarely have anything to do after kick off, bar occasionally having to tell a paying customer they can’t take a drink to their seat.

Are you suggesting they're bar stewards?

• Haha 1

I just wanted to moan about the role and perceived priorities of the police outside after the game.

Walking along Ashton road by Duckmoor road there were quite a few coppers standing by the zebra as about 4 or 5  escooters, at least 1 double manned, charged straight through the middle dodging several people as they crossed. They were all in high spirits and It looked quite comical with nobody hurt, but could easily have had a different outcome.

29 minutes ago, the red rules said:

I just wanted to moan about the role and perceived priorities of the police outside after the game.

Walking along Ashton road by Duckmoor road there were quite a few coppers standing by the zebra as about 4 or 5  escooters, at least 1 double manned, charged straight through the middle dodging several people as they crossed. They were all in high spirits and It looked quite comical with nobody hurt, but could easily have had a different outcome.

Coppers these days don’t want to know …they’re only there for the pies ….:yawn: