IGNORED

I can't believe those stats from the Sunday people paper

Never to the dark side

9 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Well Sky agree with the possession, it didn’t seem quite that way at the time  ut we often flourish when the opposition enjoy more possession 

49C85B5E-7BBD-4DE2-A126-8CED150255C7.png

What part of being 17th in the league classes as "flourishing"..?! 

We return this level of percentage stat game after game and its terrible (despite yesterday's result) you can't conceded that much possession, consistently, and flourish...! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Particularly in the first half, most of Derby’s possession was in and around their own penalty area. Lots of possession but totally meaningless. I never take much notice of possession stats as, without context, they don’t tell the whole story 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What part of being 17th in the league classes as "flourishing"..?! 

We return this level of percentage stat game after game and its terrible (despite yesterday's result) you can't conceded that much possession, consistently, and flourish...! 

I’m no stat expert but I’ve noticed in most of our wins we’ve had less possession, Stoke was similar to yesterday, Barnsley had most but a lot of it isn’t dangerous possession and if we get ahead, now we’re better at not imploding at the end, things are looking better.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I’m no stat expert but I’ve noticed in most of our wins we’ve had less possession, Stoke was similar to yesterday, Barnsley had most but a lot of it isn’t dangerous possession and if we get ahead, now we’re better at not imploding at the end, things are looking better.

It’s not always the case, but if you get the first goal you can afford to let them have the ball in their half.  Games change when goals are scored.  Derby are a team that make lots of passes but don’t progress the ball much.  They are the second slowest behind Swansea.  For info Swansea are one point ahead of us.

We are the 8th most direct team behind, West Brom, Birmingham, Cardiff, Millwall, Barnsley, Middlesbrough and Coventry.  Coventry surprised me a bit.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, marmite said:

I was amazed at the number of times they went backwards to retain possession.  Their keeper must have had more touches than anyone in their defensive line. 

Me too, I thought we were a conservative side in possession but they were something else, as others have said, their centre backs seemed to pass it to each other repeatedly without seemingly even trying to open us up, plus WTF was that short goal kick stuff all about?

Bound to get caught out if they keep farting about with it in their own penalty area if you ask me.

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Me too, I thought we were a conservative side in possession but they were something else, as others have said, their centre backs seemed to pass it to each other repeatedly without seemingly even trying to open us up, plus WTF was that short goal kick stuff all about?

Bound to get caught out if they keep farting about with it in their own penalty area if you ask me.

And we should know!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The goal kick stuff is to draw us in then to bypass us with  long ball. Seemed we did our homework on this and they ended up like the Chuckle brothers,  to me to you etc.

• Like 1

That game yesterday was the most comfortable I've felt all season. We should have been out of sight by half time. Having an extra forward allowed us to press their defenders into hurried passes or, back to the keeper to lump it upfield. I cannot remember them having an attempt on goal until about the 60th minute, which was followed by about three in quick succession, then the closer one near the end.

We had about three breakaway attacks in the second half where we also should have done much better.

Other than that, Derby played the game in their half and penalty area in the first half and slightly further up the pitch in the second half, mostly due to us losing possession upfield in the second half. 

I felt as if I'd been entertained.

• Like 1

I don’t think there is anything surprising in those stats. It’s the game I saw. 
People need to realise that we are simply not a possession based team. We don’t have talented enough players to play possession dominant football, so we instead set up to allow the opposition the ball and try to make the most of counter attacks and set pieces. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, marmite said:

The goal kick stuff is to draw us in then to bypass us with  long ball. Seemed we did our homework on this and they ended up like the Chuckle brothers,  to me to you etc.

Don’t you dare go suggesting there was a gameplan yesterday, or that some form of pre-match preparation took place.  You’ll be burned at the stake! ?

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

People need to realise that we are simply not a possession based team. We don’t have talented enough players to play possession dominant football, so we instead set up to allow the opposition the ball and try to make the most of counter attacks and set pieces. 

There is though a happy medium between the two- not that I am complaining about yesterday, definitely not but there is a mixed bag...Swansea at home, we had not far off 50% of the ball, Blackburn 1st half 55% was it, think vs Luton and Blackpool we had a reasonable amount, 50% or a bit over/under. A fit, consistently James and Williams certainly would help, Although playing a 2 in CM at this level will also see a side often concede the midfield in that regard. Think vs Preston at home we also had around 50%?

OTOH vs Nottingham Forest, Stoke, Derby, 2nd half vs Blackburn yes it was down in the 30-mid 30's but definitely under 40% bracket.

Playing without the ball, dunno how sustainable it is- physically and mentally draining certainly over time although some good signs at home recently. Granted we perhaps aren't a possession dominant side but at home certainly could have a bit more?

In the event we get a fully fit James and Williams over a useful period- then pick one out of King, Bakinson and Massengo, perhaps mix and match that 3rd man for opposition, form, fitness etc then that feels a useful base to have more of the ball than we often do atm.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Bang on Harry. It amazes me some of our fan base still can’t grasp this. This also won’t be how we always player under NP if he’s allowed to get rid of the deadwood but he has to work with what he has. You can’t turn water into wine.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, marmite said:

I don't fully agree with that. I think they were drawing us in to then play the ball low through our forward lines to Shinnie and Thompson who were then supposed to spray the ball out wide.

They seemed to only go long reluctantly when the keeper had no other option and his kicking was pretty poor under pressure.