IGNORED

Club shop

cityed

Went in on Saturday to buy some stocking fillers and xmas presents, came out with nothing. Why is our selection so rubbish? surely a major missed opportunity. Would have spent at least £20-£30 on key rings, stationary, xmas stuff. Looked at Sheff United to check and they have a massive selection.

• Like 4

The op makes a fair point. When I started in the 70’s, Beryl Fudge’s shop was a City nerds wet dream- player photos, home and away progs going back several years, more badges than you could wear in a lifetime. But to buy a replica shirt was an ordeal. Unbelievably the club din’t sell them. I remember going to a dodgy sports shop in W-S- M, where the owner never has stock and tried to sell you the wrong size or a Man U one instead. Now it’s just leisure wear. Gone from one extreme to another. Don’t think this is a modern given. I’ve been in the Arsenal shop regularly for god son (lived in N London for 10 years) and although they have a Sainsbury’s size shirt etc section, they have all the other stuff as well- and at this time of year a special  stocking filler section. I know we have some great guys selling stuff online- I’ve accumulated piles of brilliant nonsense- just wish the club didn’t seem so bland and clinical. Feels a bit like the difference between the ultra professional but sterile banners and flags produced by some of the prem. clubs and a proper fan slogan painted on an old sheet.

• Like 1

I don't buy much anymore as I'm in my 30s and like things that are a bit more subtley designed and find club merchandise is often emblazoned with a huge logo or too many colours so they're missing out there too.

Only things I've bought recently are the club suitcase for £40 and cap for £22 as they're simple designs.

https://shop.bristol-sport.co.uk/bcfc/tokyotimecity/tokyotimecity/tokyo-time-x-city/1558_city-tokyo-time-grey-flat-peak-cap.html

https://shop.bristol-sport.co.uk/bcfc/souvenirs/bcfc-gifts/bcfcluggagebags/1223_bcfc-trg-kit-case-edition-1.html

If you look at the Leisurewear part of the site, everything is just a bit... loud.

I'd like a plain black t-shirt with a robin logo on a breast pocket and that's it. Could even do a shirt with a big robin on the back too... I dunno, just that bright red on everything limits it's everyday wear options. Everything there is basically only something you'd wear at home or on a gameday. Nothing for the everyday or that could pass a casual night out even slightly.

And the Souvenirs as you mention... £12 set of pencils, £12 notepad, £12 lunchbox. The only things that are subtley designed are the hip flask and suitcase.

Not sure who designs the stuff at the club or who produces the souvenirs but they're doing a pretty balls job of it.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Selred said:

They have some stationary, key rings etc on the website so weird it’s not in the store. 
My biggest issue is the price of the clothing, £50 for some jogging bottoms is extortionate.

Pretty sure I’ve seen these sorts of things in the shop. Usually well hidden by the long queues though. 

7 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I just wanted some duvet covers for my grandsons this Xmas. They did them in previous Xmas times. But know I decided what s good pressy from grandad . Not anywhere 

https://www.redbubble.com/i/throw-blanket/Bristol-City-FC-logo-Split-by-Etchedclothing/81368625.16D0B?country_code=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQiA47GNBhDrARIsAKfZ2rAuRrsciW6-NVof9D9VlixHs9i2V4P9A8iAK3GzWOs8haoPktL3rIwaAqmcEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not sure how good this is but it’s City!!

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

Thank you but I found that site. But sorry that strikes me as well overpriced for the items they selling  

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
Missed words

I’ve contacted the club about merchandise offered by the club. As you say @cityedin comparison to other clubs the options offered by the club are limited in comparison to other clubs.

I’ve asked if the club feels the demand isn’t there, but as per normal no response from the club. It seems strange to me in this difficult Financial Times the club isn’t trying to increase revenue this way?

10 hours ago, cityed said:

Went in on Saturday to buy some stocking fillers and xmas presents, came out with nothing. Why is our selection so rubbish? surely a major missed opportunity. Would have spent at least £20-£30 on key rings, stationary, xmas stuff. Looked at Sheff United to check and they have a massive selection.

I’ve only been in the clubshop once but it really is poor, sharing it with the rugby doesn’t help either. 

I may be wrong in saying this but the actual footprint of the shop seems smaller than our old megastore next to the Atyeo? If it’s bigger than it certainly isn’t by much. So poor to be honest, a more a less brand new stadium and the club shop is made the same if not smaller..

I worked on the new Tottenham stadium and was involved in part of the fit out of their new clubshop, obviously the Spurs stadium is on a different level and cost to our facilities but the size of the shop is unbelievable. 

It is something that needs looking at by the club IMO. Personally i think incorporating the rugby and football club merchandise together is a stupid idea. Surely between the Lansdown and the South Stand there is enough space to have 2 independent stores located?

Edited by bris red
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

They missed a trick when redeveloping the stadium, should have binned the coffee shop and had a far bigger shop.

Red Sox at Fenway Park is the model, thousands of items and always packed on game day. Must take a fortune.

See the source image

One place I’d love to go is Boston.

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Beryl, knew everybody by name.

The shop has never had the human touch since.

She obviously cared.

It’s also a shame we don’t appear to have anything run similar to Junior Reds anymore. People like Beryl and John were the lifeblood of this club and as we’ve gone more ‘Bristol Sport’ we’ve lost that - which is a shame 

• Like 1

In 2018, I was back in Bristol for the first time in a long time. There were no home games on but I wanted to go down to see the new Ashton Gate and get some souvenirs for me and the family.

I’d read on here for years how bad the shop was but, to be honest, I thought that was just a bunch of people complaining for the sake of it. Anyway…

There was no kids stuff in stock, adults were XXL only and somehow there was a 35 minute queue at 10:30am on a Tuesday morning, even though there were only three customers (including myself) in the shop. It was only stubbornness and some misguided loyalty, that led me to persevere in buying a mini football with the badge on it and a sticker. When I got to the front to pay I asked the guy behind the counter if there were any more sizes in the clothing, or kids kits, and he replied: “I don’t know”, then just stood there.

I apologise to all those I doubted when they were describing the club shop as terrible.  I am now one of you.

Don’t even get me started on the club’s international postage rates…

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

Lived near there for several years, Fenway is an amazing plce to visit even if you are not interested in baseball.

Celtic’s are my NBA Team (not so much into Baseball), and Boston is the home of Aerosmith, my fave band.  Jealous you lived there.