IGNORED

ITV4 Cup Coverage and 'Bad Language'

oldstandrobin

Just been watching the Salford v Chesterfield match on Sunday and Borehamwood v St Albans last night and constantly the commentators referred and apologised for the 'language'that was picked up by their equipment.

Surely, bad language by fans is a norm , or is it ? Or are the TV companies getting very wokey now in what to me ( as a player as well in my day ) is still a game where expletives are still in existence.

Interested to know what other forum members think

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Just been watching the Salford v Chesterfield match on Sunday and Borehamwood v St Albans last night and constantly the commentators referred and apologised for the 'language'that was picked up by their equipment.

Surely, bad language by fans is a norm , or is it ? Or are the TV companies getting very wokey now in what to me ( as a player as well in my day ) is still a game where expletives are still in existence.

Interested to know what other forum members think

Pretty sure it's the whole watershed thing and probably a regulation that requires the presenters to make then issue the apology.

A lot of viewers won't have ever attended a game and some parents leave their kids in front of the idiot lantern whilst they do other things so they might not be expecting the parentage of the ref to be called in to question.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Pretty sure it's the whole watershed thing and probably a regulation that requires the presenters to make then issue the apology.

Yep, that makes perfect sense.

Im certain that most of us aren’t offended by bad language - I’ve even been known to use it……….:whistle:

• Haha 2

Oh, **** 'em.

I'm sorry if any of you were offended by anything you may have just read.

You understand this forum is live and that from time to time our keyboards can pick up some industrial language.

So like I say, we apologise, if anyone was "upset"

Does my bleedin' head in tbh.  It's a football match, not songs on Sunday.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Oh, **** 'em.

I'm sorry if any of you were offended by anything you may have just read.

You understand this forum is live and that from time to time our keyboards can pick up some industrial language.

So like I say, we apologise, if anyone was "upset"

Does my bleedin' head in tbh.  It's a football match, not songs on Sunday.

I couldn't agree more mate, does my nut in as well.

All this Woke and PC rollocks and people who want to be called 'they' and all this other weird shite going on.

Dudes with grooves, and chicks with dicks.

Imagine having the tommy tits and having 12 bog doors to choose from.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

It's our sanitised society. ******* Stupid 

I nearly got thrown out at half time from man. City semi final from South stand for swearing. And the head suited steward was saying at least a season ban would follow. Some how I was allowed to stay in the ground. But for **** sake it's a football game . Passions run high  there is going to be sweating . If you don't like it go watch ******* tiddly winks 

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why are people getting annoyed with society for a simple apology?  Bristol Rob is almost certainly correct that it's a regulatory thing.  It is probably just happening more as the sound receivers (definitely not the tannoys!) in the ground are so much better than they historically were and so pick it up a lot easier and clearer.  Combine an improvement in technology with an increase in the amount of live football being shown and it's a more regular occurrence. 

I don't know what the regulations are about swearing in a program after 9pm.  What is the cut off?  Is it any swearing after 9pm is allowed, or is it any swearing on programs that start at or after 9pm that's allowed.  Apologies are often heard in the second half of evening games, which would indicate that if the broadcast starts before 9pm then it's for the duration of the broadcast if that makes sense.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I nearly got thrown out at half time from man. City semi final fro South stand for swearing. And the head suited steward was saying at least a season ban would follow. Some how I was allowed to stay in the ground. But for **** sake it's a football game . Passions Rin hi there is going to be sweating . If you don't like it go watch ******* tiddly winks 

Have you ever been to watch live Tiddlywinks...?! 

The spectators get ******* vicious..! 

It's common place to find the followers of one player lurking in the undergrowth to ambush rival followers, with broken bottles, lump hammers & concealed razors. 

Think "Green Street" mixed with "Peaky Blinders". It can make Millwall away look like Westonbirt Arboretum...! 

• Haha 1
  • Robin 1

15 minutes ago, Sniper said:

All this Woke and PC rollocks and people who want to be called 'they' and all this other weird shite going on.

I think you might have some things to sort out if a question about Ofcom regulations triggers such strong anger about gender identity.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Sniper said:

What’s weird is why you seem so annoyed by other people wanting to call themselves they/them?   Do you even know anyone who wants to be called they/them?  If not then why get annoyed?  Let go of that anger, be free!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I was "dragged" up in Knowle West in the 1950s and was taught respect by my parents and giving a clip around the ear if. I transgressed. I can swear as good as the next man when in the company of the "lads" and when I was at work. However, it's a no, no when in the company of ladies and children even in a football ground. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I nearly got thrown out at half time from man. City semi final from South stand for swearing. And the head suited steward was saying at least a season ban would follow. Some how I was allowed to stay in the ground. But for **** sake it's a football game . Passions run high  there is going to be sweating . If you don't like it go watch ******* tiddly winks 

I don't think sweating is the issue here..

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Weird. Never heard anyone in the LGBT community say "I wish they would cut the swearing at football." Quite the opposite. So quite why you've made this link I've no idea. 

Do we just use the word "woke" and hatchet in some stuff about Non-Binary people whenever anything annoys us now? 

Apologising for swearing at football is stupid, but as listed above probably linked to watershed stuff. 

Edited by Rebounder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

I was "dragged" up in Knowle West in the 1950s and was taught respect by my parents and giving a clip around the ear if. I transgressed. I can swear as good as the next man when in the company of the "lads" and when I was at work. However, it's a no, no when in the company of ladies and children even in a football ground. 

I can remember walking along the seafront somewhere in Devon in about the eighties and some bloke pulled up a group of young kids for using bad language. Fair play to him! You wouldn’t see that happening today. 

like yourself, I grew up using the best of bad language but I don’t swear anymore.  Ive also raised my children to view swearing as “Bad language” 

The world and morals have changed massively over the years. I don’t get offended that often, I’m learning to let people get on it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Don't you think it highlights the "problem"  Most people (non fans) wouldn't probably know the songs, chants anyway until some commentator points out that in case you didn't know ...that was rude, just let it go,OR have a 10/15 second delay if it's such a problem for them .

Not sure it's the chants and songs that are the source of the apologies.  I think it tends to be the odd individual voice being picked up in quieter moments, whether that be a dissenting voice from the stands, or even the dug out.  Those closest to the pitchside microphones are obviously going to get picked up more.

50 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

It's been a "woke" issue ever since the Daily Mail started using "woke" to describe anything that simple minded people get annoyed/confused by.

And that arrogant statement is exactly what brings the negative perception of the woke brigade.  Anyone who doesn’t agree with their views immediately becomes simple minded, confused or just plain racist.

• Thanks 2