IGNORED

ITV4 Cup Coverage and 'Bad Language'

oldstandrobin

29 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

And that arrogant statement is exactly what brings the negative perception of the woke brigade.  Anyone who doesn’t agree with their views immediately becomes simple minded, confused or just plain racist.

And that arrogant statement is exactly what brings the negative perception of the anti-woke brigade.  Anyone who doesn't agree with the widespread acceptance of things that are not quite of the traditional "norm" immediately becomes "woke" and "PC bollocks" for those unable to avoid being to comprehend it. 

And yes, the comprehension statement is very deliberate because the argument against it often is accompanied with "What happened to he/she?", "Why can't they just be male/female" etc.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

And that arrogant statement is exactly what brings the negative perception of the woke brigade.  Anyone who doesn’t agree with their views immediately becomes simple minded, confused or just plain racist.

It's not an arrogant statement and there was nothing there that said you had to agree with my views.

If somebody hears an ITV4 commentator apologise for the crowd swearing, and immediately rants about "woke", then they clearly have no idea what the word "woke" even means.

"Woke" has absolutely nothing to do with swearing being heard on TV.

You might as well rant about "people are complaining about swearing at football! It's radishes gone mad" as that makes as much sense.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Back in the early 70s there was a song at AG that started "Over there, over there, and do they smell...........", and my dear old dad used to cough at exactly the right time, every time trying to drown out a certain word.

Distant bums, the Jim Reeves classic 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

And that arrogant statement is exactly what brings the negative perception of the anti-woke brigade.  Anyone who doesn't agree with the widespread acceptance of things that are not quite of the traditional "norm" immediately becomes "woke" and "PC bollocks" for those unable to avoid being to comprehend it. 

And yes, the comprehension statement is very deliberate because the argument against it often is accompanied with "What happened to he/she?", "Why can't they just be male/female" etc.

And you can jump off your high hirse too pal.  I thought that comment would flush out a couple of regulars and so it did.

When you get certain individuals who can’t accept people can have different opinions and continue to ram their own views down people’s throats, or call them stupid, bigots, racists or whatever, then you are looking at a woke. In most people’s eyes.  

The ability to also manage to get offended by just about anything that doesn’t fit their viewpoint and can’t accept those differences also appears to be a characteristic.  

If there was some acceptance of differing views it wouldn’t be an issue, but unfortunately that isn’t the case.

3 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

When you get certain individuals who can’t accept people can have different opinions and continue to ram their own views down people’s throats, or call them stupid, bigots, racists or whatever, then you are looking at a woke.

woke.jpg
3. Really annoyed at hearing swearing on ITV4's football coverage. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

It's not an arrogant statement and there was nothing there that said you had to agree with my views.

If somebody hears an ITV4 commentator apologise for the crowd swearing, and immediately rants about "woke", then they clearly have no idea what the word "woke" even means.

"Woke" has absolutely nothing to do with swearing being heard on TV.

You might as well rant about "people are complaining about swearing at football! It's radishes gone mad" as that makes as much sense.

Well if you don’t think that sounds arrogant then I’ll leave that for others to make up their own minds.

I give you that the swearing at football isn’t a woke issue, but the current culture of complaining about just about anything in this country has now rightly or wrongly been brought under the ‘woke’ umbrella.

Just when we’re being told how we need to all be more tolerent in society (a brilliant thing imho), the perceived ‘wokes’ seem to be doing the exact opposite and your disparaging comment seemed to be a classic example of that.

3 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Well if you don’t think that sounds arrogant then I’ll leave that for others to make up their own minds.

I give you that the swearing at football isn’t a woke issue, but the current culture of complaining about just about anything in this country has now rightly or wrongly been brought under the ‘woke’ umbrella.

Just when we’re being told how we need to all be more tolerent in society (a brilliant thing imho), the perceived ‘wokes’ seem to be doing the exact opposite and your disparaging comment seemed to be a classic example of that.

It was not a comment on tolerance in society, it was a comment that people are using the word "woke" with no idea what it actually means.

And I guarantee that no "woke" people are complaining about hearing swearing on ITV4's football coverage. 

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

Not very healthy, as to ‘stay angry’ can make you very bitter and twisted and can breed negativity!

It's not my definition. But it's what the word means.

Far better to angry about racism though than to be angry at people for being anti-racist. In my opinion of course. 

2 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

It was not a comment on tolerance in society, it was a comment that people are using the word "woke" with no idea what it actually means.

And I guarantee that no "woke" people are complaining about hearing swearing on ITV4's football coverage. 

The point can be argued for evermore.  

Whether you blame the media, or society in general, woke has now become widely associated with being offended by and fighting against a wide range of issues and not just racial discrimination.

5 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

The point can be argued for evermore.  

Whether you blame the media, or society in general, woke has now become widely associated with being offended by and fighting against a wide range of issues and not just racial discrimination.

That's true.

But it's never meant "offended by hearing the F word on ITV4" and never will. 

Being offended by swearing is more of a gammon thing.

7 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

It's not my definition. But it's what the word means.

Far better to angry about racism though than to be angry at people for being anti-racist. In my opinion of course. 

Fair point, but can you also accept people can also get angry when the racist label is very freely thrown around these days and is very often unwarranted?

5 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Fair point, but can you also accept people can also get angry when the racist label is very freely thrown around these days and is very often unwarranted?

Of course, I haven't argued anything different.

It's worth remembering though that something can be racist even if the person saying it thinks it isn't. 

3 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

That's true.

But it's never meant "offended by hearing the F word on ITV4" and never will. 

Being offended by swearing is more of a gammon thing.

Therin lies the problem.  Hasn’t always been the way that for simplicity, many differing things get lumped together under the same umbrella.  

Not everyone wants or bothers to find out the differing names of these various groups and to be fair, the style of debate is often very similar, even if the subject matter varies.

I think you’ll have real difficulty separating them now in many people’s eyes and ‘woke’ seems to be the standard applied to them all, including by the media.  

A generic label you might say.

Anyway, reckon we’ll need to put this one to bed now, or we’ll be getting a slap for bringing politics onto the football forum!!!

6 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Of course, I haven't argued anything different.

It's worth remembering though that something can be racist even if the person saying it thinks it isn't. 

…. Or something might be perceived as racist by somebody when it actually wasn’t.  

Perception can be complicated and I refer back to what I said earlier ….. we need a bit more tolerance on both sides!

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

It means whatever people choose it to mean.  Meanings change all the time.  The fact that woke us now a term of criticism or even abuse in some quarters is merely the natural development of language.  

13 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It means whatever people choose it to mean.  Meanings change all the time.  The fact that woke us now a term of criticism or even abuse in some quarters is merely the natural development of language.  

Well that's a load of door isn't it. The trouble with you echo types is that it's hard to drawer anything lightbulb about what you mean. 

I haven't read through 2 pages of responses so I apologise if this has been posted already.

ITV and insert any broadcaster name are obliged to make the 'apology' and the reason being if they don't then viewers can raise a complaint about the bad language. The broadcaster can then be held accountable i.e. a fine. The 'apology' basically covers the back side of the broadcaster in question. That said, it still gets right on my tits!

• Like 2

Commentators have been apologising for bad language picked up from the crowd for as long as I can remember and I'm no spring chicken. It's not a "woke" sign of our times thing that they do this. I swear some people are just looking to be outraged by the latest hint of the dreaded and evil wokeness that is such a blight on their day to day lives.

Commentators probably have to apologise for contractual reasons, I imagine the thinking behind it is that kids should be able to watch things like football without hearing bad language, before or after the watershed.

As a side note back when I was a child there were few things as hilarious as when some bad language got picked up on live TV. It was like a gift from the gods.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Cant that work both ways?

Something may not be racist even if some think it is 

A great example of this would be when Danny Baker tweeted his playful dig at Harry and Megan, an image of a baby monkey, with the caption "Royal Baby Leaves Hospital". He was absolutely crucified for this and condemned incorrectly as a "racist".

As it turns out, Danny is as "woke" as the rest of us, thankfully. Good lad.

I really hate the warning "this program contains "strong" language....................No it ******* doesn't , it contains foul language or bad language, if it needs a warning call it as it is ! At least Channel 5 get it right, calling it offensive language  !

Just now, slartibartfast said:

Oh and the other one ..."adult humour".............it's not adult humour, most of it is very childish , the sort of thing you'd hear in the playground !

Edited by slartibartfast