IGNORED

Is the sky the limit?

where's the joy

5 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I thought it was three, but damn long time ago could be four 

This kind of proves how long ago it was, we’ve forgotten how long we were there.

Having just read The Four Seasons book I can assure you it was four.

Imagine having 4 seasons up there starting next season, what it’d do for the city not just the club.

• Like 2

Just now, ralphindevon said:

This kind of proves how long ago it was, we’ve forgotten how long we were there.

Having just read The Four Seasons book I can assure you it was four.

Imagine having 4 seasons up there starting next season, what it’d do for the city not just the club.

Thank you Ralph  was watching the 4 season slide back to div. 4 which will always haunt me mind.

3 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Thank you Ralph  was watching the 4 season slide back to div. 4 which will always haunt me mind.

Me too. Relegation from the top flight coincided with me leaving school, getting a job, learning to drive so for the first time in my life I was able to go to all the city games at home and some away. 
That of course coincided in us being the first club to go from top to bottom in consecutive seasons and go bust on the way.

34 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Me too. Relegation from the top flight coincided with me leaving school, getting a job, learning to drive so for the first time in my life I was able to go to all the city games at home and some away. 
That of course coincided in us being the first club to go from top to bottom in consecutive seasons and go bust on the way.

Yrs it was my school leaving time too. No car for years but could get local coach to home games and started my away travel days with Beryl's traveling cats. 

17 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

At the moment the way to PL seems long. On the other hand We have many Young players who can be really good players. Think we have a manager who knows what he doing. 2-3 top players in to our team would be great to next season, money? Midtable this season, top six next.  When thinking of that it can be done. To get there we have to have very good players, thats the tricky one. Hope it can happens in my lifetime, 64 now.

Problem is and always has been as long as I have been watching city is as soon as we get anybody who shows the slightest promise in swoops a premiership club or a fellow Championship club on parachute payments and steals them away, so we are constantly having to replace them usually with someone cheaper who shows promise just in the last 3 or 4 seasons we have lost Ried Brownhill Bryan Kelly the problem is we can't hold on to our promising players because we don't get promoted and we don't get promoted because we can't hold on to our promising players other teams seem to have been able to do it. I'm just waiting for us to get lucky and get there like we nearly did in 2008 once we are there I feel we would have a fair chance of staying there like say Leicester or Southampton.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

100%..

Some feel we would have a stronger base/opportunity by going down & rebuilding from there....

I don't see that at all...IMO relegation would be disastrous.

Hasn't worked out for the multitude of ex Prem teams down there has it?

Quite a tough division to get out of actually. Reminds me of all those years trying to get out of it.......

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I don't think anyone else in football can quite believe we haven't been in the top flight for over 40 years now.

A billionaire owner, with facilities that are comparable to a mid table PL team.

Quite how we've never gotten ourselves over the line is a mystery in a way. I think in football, we are quite rightly seen as complete underachievers; and that as a club we are never going to be one of those club that is going to compete.

Look at some of the other teams Oldham, Bradford, Barnsley, Portsmouth, Bolton, Hull, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Birmingham, QPR, Stoke, Swansea, Reading (Christ I'm going to stop now, this is getting too depressing), and so many others; all made it for one season at least to the PL.

Something has to change. Maybe as NP has identified, it's the culture, and attitude of the club. He's certainly the first manager in a while that has spoken about the failings of the club in these areas

When you look at the budget of the club, and the wonderful area in which the majority of us live in; it's always struck me that we've never been seen as a destination of choice for either up and coming players, or seasoned pros.

That however is going to take time, and building a team that players will want to come and play in. One that makes the playoffs for the first time in 14 years, and then shows that they are on the way up. Whether NP will be given time to build from the ground up is a moot point. The current mind set of a large group of fans changes their collective minds, on a game by game basis as to his suitability as a manager.

I still harbour hope that we will get there in the end. It's a lot easier to get there playing in the Championship that's for sure. In the meantime, this season is a long hard slog of 1 goal wins, and other abject performances; that will come from a non cohesive squad.

Let's see what the January window brings. The board seem to be making some noises over some form of backing; and at least our home form has picked up somewhat.

As NP quite rightly says "We know where we are as a club", ie nowhere near where we should be, but at least there seems to be some sort of medium to longer term plan. Rather than the short term MA transfer bingo approach.  

No mystery.  Poor leadership in The Boardroom. Simples, really.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2