IGNORED

FAYC - 3rd Rd - 7pm - Nottingham Forest (a)

Davefevs

37 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Probably because the modern way is not to drop the woman's surname on marriage. 

Wonder what would happen when two people with double barrelled surnames get married?

also, I’ve just gone back through 4 years worth of pictures on my Twitter for this post from the Leicester forum 

Bet he wished he used a different player as his example now! ?

2032FF7A-1B07-49A3-A160-7228F441C37A.jpeg

15 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

The difference when you play a Cat 1 academy. We need to be playing the PL youth teams if we are serious about our future plans to get to the Prem. 

Not really, Forest is a poor example to use for Cat 1 as they only changed in the summer so you won't see many effects yet. Forest were a very good cat 2 side anyway so this result wouldn't have been a shock if they were still Cat 2. City see their best route as staying cat 2 and its not an unsensible approach

• Hmmm 1

6 hours ago, billywedlock said:

The difference when you play a Cat 1 academy. We need to be playing the PL youth teams if we are serious about our future plans to get to the Prem. 

FWIW I think the likes of Towler and Bell will learn and progress far more playing men’s football in the conference than they would playing against Cat 1 youth teams.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Malago said:

FWIW I think the likes of Towler and Bell will learn and progress far more playing men’s football in the conference than they would playing against Cat 1 youth teams.

Very likely, but I think it is important nevertheless to recognise and understand the difference between playing in the National League and receiving first class coaching in, e.g. a Cat 1 academy.

An important and difficult balance, hence the benefit of employing somebody like Brian Tinnion.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Very likely, but I think it is important nevertheless to recognise and understand the difference between playing in the National League and receiving first class coaching in, e.g. a Cat 1 academy.

An important and difficult balance, hence the benefit of employing somebody like Brian Tinnion.

Plus add in those that might actually train with the first team (which lots of ours have), there a equally good reasons for not loaning them.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Plus add in those that might actually train with the first team (which lots of ours have), there a equally good reasons for not loaning them.

If they don’t go on loan the club will never know if they are able to compete in the real world unless they play first team football at AG, which is unlikely.

No amount of coaching within the first team framework will give Bell and Britton the experience they are about to get.

I think it’s a myth that being in the first team coaching group is that important, we don’t know what coaching qualifications or quality’s the loaning clubs possess. They may actually have better coaches than we have, training and playing alongside guys who really earn their living from playing football can only be useful.

I would make the case that not loaning players who are thought ready to play competitive mens football actually delays their progress, the daily grind of training and only playing occasionally can be counterproductive.

13 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

If they don’t go on loan the club will never know if they are able to compete in the real world unless they play first team football at AG, which is unlikely.

No amount of coaching within the first team framework will give Bell and Britton the experience they are about to get.

I think it’s a myth that being in the first team coaching group is that important, we don’t know what coaching qualifications or quality’s the loaning clubs possess. They may actually have better coaches than we have, training and playing alongside guys who really earn their living from playing football can only be useful.

I would make the case that not loaning players who are thought ready to play competitive mens football actually delays their progress, the daily grind of training and only playing occasionally can be counterproductive.

That’s why I said an equally good argument….I was suggesting that there is more than one solution / option here.

Imagine we’d loaned out Alex Scott this season?

I think Nige is giving youngsters an opportunity to go play first team football for City, his record is pretty good. He’s specifically said he’d rather have a trimmer squad so that he can create a pathway.

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s why I said an equally good argument….I was suggesting that there is more than one solution / option here.

Imagine we’d loaned out Alex Scott this season?

I think Nige is giving youngsters an opportunity to go play first team football for City, his record is pretty good. He’s specifically said he’d rather have a trimmer squad so that he can create a pathway.

He isn’t though is he. Alex is an exceptional talent, far and away the best 17/18 year old the club has ever had, he didn’t come through the Academy from a young age, he was playing and being coached in competitive mens football.

Where is Sam Pearson for instance? Played first team football last season, playing  for Wales at his age group this season, but nowhere near the first team, so playing U23 games for us, surely needs something more competitive to progress.

The lad Britton, played last season, only recently allowed out on loan, yet we’ve flogged Martin when 15-20 mins at the end of games could have made all the difference  to him and us.

Scott apart the only youngsters getting a sniff are because of the injury situation, Benarous and Conway wouldn’t be anywhere near the squad if it wasn’t for injuries.

If we get King, Williams and James back, and buy a striker, I don’t see any young academy players getting a chance,  they’ll be left to play the odd game for the U23’s.

41 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

He isn’t though is he. Alex is an exceptional talent, far and away the best 17/18 year old the club has ever had, he didn’t come through the Academy from a young age, he was playing and being coached in competitive mens football.

Where is Sam Pearson for instance? Played first team football last season, playing  for Wales at his age group this season, but nowhere near the first team, so playing U23 games for us, surely needs something more competitive to progress.

The lad Britton, played last season, only recently allowed out on loan, yet we’ve flogged Martin when 15-20 mins at the end of games could have made all the difference  to him and us.

Scott apart the only youngsters getting a sniff are because of the injury situation, Benarous and Conway wouldn’t be anywhere near the squad if it wasn’t for injuries.

If we get King, Williams and James back, and buy a striker, I don’t see any young academy players getting a chance,  they’ll be left to play the odd game for the U23’s.

You make valid points.

Yeah, why hasn’t Pearson got a loan?  He’s not featured in one squad this season.  

Think it was said earlier this season that lower league clubs were taking less young loanees, making do with what senior players they had under contract.  Because they couldn’t shift those players, they were using them, therefore no room for youngsters.

You’ve also got to have the right club interested too.  I can only assume they couldn’t get him fixed up?  But I don’t know.

3 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Steady on! I like Alex but we had Gerry Gow at 17! 

8 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It`s always amusing to translate the names of foreign players.

Emanuel Petit - Manny Small. Doesn`t sound quite so exotic!

Antonio di Natale sounds incredibly sexy and exotic, and it's a  lovely name in the right Italian accent. But he's just weird old Tony Christmas when translated.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, hollydog said:

I hadn’t forgotten Gerry (who could), however I believe Alex is a better player at this age than Gow was.

I was privileged to watch Gerry through out his City career, and making the comparison taking into account the passage of time is difficult.

Only time will tell if Alex can forge a career to match the great man, we shall see.

10 hours ago, hollydog said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, Countryfile said:

I hadn’t forgotten Gerry (who could), however I believe Alex is a better player at this age than Gow was.

I was privileged to watch Gerry through out his City career, and making the comparison taking into account the passage of time is difficult.

Only time will tell if Alex can forge a career to match the great man, we shall see.

What was Gerry like at 17/18….I only saw him from 78 onwards….seen posts on here that he didn’t find it easy initially????