IGNORED

FAYC - 3rd Rd - 7pm - Nottingham Forest (a)

Davefevs

I was too young to remember his first few games so can’t really help. There was something about the team that ultimately got promoted “growing together” though.  72/73 and 73/74 we were good but  inconsistent but by 74/75 the year before  we got promoted we were turning into a really solid side and almost unbeatable at home. 

3 hours ago, Countryfile said:

I hadn’t forgotten Gerry (who could), however I believe Alex is a better player at this age than Gow was.

I was privileged to watch Gerry through out his City career, and making the comparison taking into account the passage of time is difficult.

Only time will tell if Alex can forge a career to match the great man, we shall see.

I hope you’re right!?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

What was Gerry like at 17/18….I only saw him from 78 onwards….seen posts on here that he didn’t find it easy initially????

My memory isn’t the best, but from what I do remember he along with some of the other legends were far from the finished article (as no doubt is Scott) in their early years, as you’d expect.

As I said comparisons are difficult, from pitches to boots, to tactics and the ball itself the game has changed beyond recognition, and not always for the best.

I very much doubt that Alex will smoke 20 a day and catch the number nine bus to AG like Gerry.

I do hope he stays around long enough to leave todays young fans with similar fond memories and maybe even a similar promotion.

31 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

For differing reasons neither Fulham or City need the distraction of progession to the 4th round.

Will be interesting to see two sides not trying particularly hard to win.

I am not sure I agree there.

Fulham, I can understand will be wanting to make sure nothing distracts them from their promotion push.

City, however, are surely free from any relegation fears and, unfortunately but realistically, are probably not quite strong enough to reach the play-offs.

A good cup run, therefore, apart from the extra, much needed income it would bring, would provide a welcome, positive distraction and, you never know, mighrt just result in that late, end of season push.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am not sure I agree there.

Fulham, I can understand will be wanting to make sure nothing distracts them from their promotion push.

City, however, are surely free from any relegation fears and, unfortunately but realistically, are probably not quite strong enough to reach the play-offs.

A good cup run, therefore, apart from the extra, much needed income it would bring, would provide a welcome, positive distraction and, you never know, mighrt just result in that late, end of season push.

Finances not to be sniffed at either.

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Finances not to be sniffed at either.

Indeed, and that's what I meant by 'much needed income'.

In addition to the prize money for advancing in to the fourth (and further) rounds, there is also a healthy split of crowd money, plus the associated on-site sales in the bars, food outlets and the Club shop.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Indeed, and that's what I meant by 'much needed income'.

In addition to the prize money for advancing in to the fourth (and further) rounds, there is also a healthy split of crowd money, plus the associated on-site sales in the bars, food outlets and the Club shop.

Jeez. I missed that. Doh

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Jeez. I missed that. Doh

Ha, no problems.

I wasn't being sarcy, I just wondered whether I might have missed some income opportunity from a cup run.

I understand fully (from other posters) that our most important goal this season is to stay in this division, but I don't really think we are in any danger of relegation, thanks in no small part to Derby's points deductions.

Accordingly, a cup run with, ideally, a win against Fulham; a favourable home draw in the fourth round and then (hopefully, Hello Shrewsbury!) a big name draw in the next round.

We all know what positive vibes that creates and, of course, as we both agree ?, there is the added bonus of more income/financial benefits. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Countryfile said:

I hadn’t forgotten Gerry (who could), however I believe Alex is a better player at this age than Gow was.

I was privileged to watch Gerry through out his City career, and making the comparison taking into account the passage of time is difficult.

Only time will tell if Alex can forge a career to match the great man, we shall see.

Gow was by far our best and most influential player in the last 50 years, he’d drag Teammates up the boots and made them far better players, if Scott is half the player then we’ve got a good ‘un